PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac: "I want to be coached harder"

For all you Zappeites, Gasper just said that if they bench Mac for Zappe, there is likely to be a 2009 player revolt or worse. The players are clearly on Jones' side of who is responsible for this offense.
In fairness it does feel they already have a mutiny on their hands.

Really shows how predictable they are with the sticks doesn’t it?
What jumped out to me initially was how bad hes been in that intermediate area (10-20 yards) near the sidelines. And we've seen more than a few wide open guys (Henry, Agholor) have success in the MOF. You're going to have a hard time making a living like that. Idk just watching the games, looking at that chart and I'm really not sure what a defense has to be afraid of.

We could use a player revolt, hopefully it will finally result in much needed change.
It will only result in players getting traded or cut.

Bill is not the kind of coaches who gets bullied by his unproductive players

It will only result in players getting traded or cut.

Bill is not the kind of coaches who gets bullied by his unproductive players

You mean their productive players that are all having career worst years across the board?

I kinda hope bill puts in zappe so he looks like he did against the bears (5 batted passes, 2 interceptions) and people can understand how poor the coaching and playcalling is. We no longer are playing the sisters of the poor...

Born in Newton and went to school in CT. Bring him home.
Yup, local kid. I'm not starting anything though. Don't even know why I posted that video in this thread :)

*edit*
Played for Xavier which is big time up here

My guess is Bill wanted to play Zappe and didn’t to avoid what you say. And that’s why those players won’t be on the patriots next year.

If Bill was 100% behind Mac the Zappe situation would have never happened. Bill doesn’t like players who questions his decision too much.

From all accounts Belichick believes Mac Jones is the guy. I doubt this played into it.

I think Kraft is afraid of him

I think changes will be made this summer. Patricia will be "promoted" to a front office role behind the scenes. And a bill O'Brien or frank Reich will be brought in.

It has to happen. No way bill can roll out the same offense next year or Kraft will lose his head.

Sad, all bill had to do this summer is replace mcDaniels with a real OC and this seasons trajectory would've been so different. Instead we have a list season because bill is "smarter" than everyone and can put fires Patricia at OC and OL coach!

BB is the head coach. If he believed Zappe would give the team a better chance to win games, he'd be playing. Winning cures all ills.

I’m not convinced they’re all-in on winning right now, honestly. I haven’t heard BB use the phrase “guy who gives us the best chance to win” in a long time, and he never did when discussing the quarterbacks. He said they’d do “what’s best for the team”, which is not necessarily the same.

BB saying he didn’t use their 3 remaining TOs while down 14 with 1:55 to play - to avoid injuries - says a lot.

I’m sure he still wants to win, obviously, but I don’t think he’s approaching every game with a win-at-all-costs mentality. He knows they’re unlikely to compete for a championship this season. This is probably viewed as a developmental season in an attempt to learn what they have. All of that is just my opinion, of course.

You are just speculating. Maybe he just took responsibility on his own and isn't Zach Wilson.
If Zach Wilson had yelled at his coaches in a loss and then blamed them first and himself second in the OP quote, you’d be the first piling on him.

He was upset and let his feelings be known in-game. I don’t have a problem with that by itself, but then this quote came out faulting the coaching first, and Mac Jones second. It’s a psychological fact that people are more apt to be brutally honest about how they feel when they’re angry.

a bill O'Brien or frank Reich will be brought in
Reich is a west coast guy so not a good fit for the Patriots except if you want them to scrap the EP system and really start completely over.

My guess Bill doesn’t want the change a system that he has been using for 20+ years because in the end as bad as it is we are still running the EP system.

If Zach Wilson had yelled at his coaches in a loss and then blamed them first and himself second in the OP quote, you’d be the first piling on him.

He was upset and let his feelings be known in-game. I don’t have a problem with that by itself, but then this quote came out faulting the coaching first, and Mac Jones second. It’s a psychological fact that people are more apt to be brutally honest about how they feel when they’re angry.

I don’t care. That’s wrong. Zach Wilson forced the Jets to hire his high school throwing coach and I mentioned once. Why would I make him shouting at a coach a big deal?

Shouting on the sidelines between players and coaches happen a lot. Jones hasn’t earned the ability to do it without repercussions but we have seen many players over the years get in a shouting match with coaches. It is just usually established players who get away with it.

But you are making imaginary scenarios that Jones was ordered to take the blame for everything in the press conference.

I don’t care. That’s wrong. Zach Wilson forced the Jets to hire his high school throwing coach and I mentioned once. Why would I make him shouting at a coach a big deal?

Shouting on the sidelines between players and coaches happen a lot. Jones hasn’t earned the ability to do it without repercussions but we have seen many players over the years get in a shouting match with coaches. It is just usually established players who get away with it.

But you are making imaginary scenarios that Jones was ordered to take the blame for everything in the press conference.
You’re right. The Patriots clearly don’t coach their star players up on talking to the media after games. Never. Not even once. Of course that couldn’t possibly be the reason why he gave the toed the party line after the contest, but screamed at his coaches during the game and blamed them first and foremost in a separate quote afterward. It’s completely imaginary.

He did an amazing job in 2020. This year is his worst by far.

He had McDaniels in 2020. Who for all his warts was a real OC who could make adjustments on offense and tailor the offense to what his players do best.

I think fans finally are seeing how good he was as Patricia took an offense that was top 10 statistically last year and drove it into the ground.

Statistically the 2020 offense was better than this year I read. With far less talent. That is on coaching

I’m not convinced they’re all-in on winning right now, honestly. I haven’t heard BB use the phrase “guy who gives us the best chance to win” in a long time, and he never did when discussing the quarterbacks. He said they’d do “what’s best for the team”, which is not necessarily the same.

BB saying he didn’t use their 3 remaining TOs while down 14 with 1:55 to play - to avoid injuries - says a lot.

I’m sure he still wants to win, obviously, but I don’t think he’s approaching every game with a win-at-all-costs mentality. He knows they’re unlikely to compete for a championship this season. This is probably viewed as a developmental season in an attempt to learn what they have. All of that is just my opinion, of course.

Of course they're all-in on winning, they're just dysfunctional. I don't know if playing three games in 11 days has anything to do with it, that's a chore.

I wasn't aware of that BB quote about the timeouts but I don't think it says anything. The Pats lost any chance of staying in the game when Buffalo recovered the onside kick. Using those timeouts would've been a futile formality forcing the Bills to play more offense against an already gassed defense.

He had McDaniels in 2020. Who for all his warts was a real OC who could make adjustments on offense and tailor the offense to what his players do best.

I think fans finally are seeing how good he was as Patricia took an offense that was top 10 statistically last year and drove it into the ground.

Statistically the 2020 offense was better than this year I read. With far less talent. That is on coaching
That’s what I’m saying.

Bill is the executive. He’s not a manager coaching every play. He is working with the managers, choosing them, guiding them, holding them accountable. He’s done an amazingly terrible job of that this year.

That’s what I’m saying.

Bill is the executive. He’s not a manager coaching every play. He is working with the managers, choosing them, guiding them, holding them accountable. He’s done an amazingly terrible job of that this year.
Yeah, he’s held his assistants accountable the same way Patricia’s dietician holds him accountable.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back