PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

I think if a quarterback seems decent and the team isn't sure, then yeah, keep him while you figure out what you have. But I think once the determination is made that the guy won't win the Super Bowl, move on. I'm not interested in a ceiling of 10 wins and maybe a playoff victory someday. YMMV
How many of the quarterbacks drafted in Mac's year are going to win a Super Bowl? For the past fifteen years, an average of three quarterbacks have been taken in the NFL's first round and a much higher number in later rounds (eleven in 2023). In the last fifteen years, eleven different quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl. The chance of drafting a quarterback who will win a Super Bowl is not great.

How many of the quarterbacks drafted in Mac's year are going to win a Super Bowl? For the past fifteen years, an average of three quarterbacks have been taken in the NFL's first round and a much higher number in later rounds (eleven in 2023). In the last fifteen years, eleven different quarterbacks have won a Super Bowl. The chance of drafting a quarterback who will win a Super Bowl is not great.
This is true. It's a question of whether you think they can though. Everything still has to align though for sure

We thought Cam was the bridge QB from Brady. Maybe the real bridge is Mac. A serviceable guy that gets the snaps until the young gun is ready. Time will tell.

Whatever Mac does I expect the team to keep drafting QB's no matter what just like they did when Brady was here.
No, we had to draft first, so we could get a true-and-blue Patriots quarterback that any sensible person would hate for not being Tom.

Now we can really move on with draft guy #2.

No, we had to draft first, so we could get a true-and-blue Patriots quarterback that any sensible person would hate for not being Tom.

Now we can really move on with draft guy #2.

Draft guy #1 should've been Stidham during 2020 instead of Scam; then Corky starts '21 with a truly clean slate.

I mean look at last year's playoffs.

AFC:
Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Trevor Lawrence
Justin Herbert
Lamar Jackson
Tua Tagovailoa

NFC:
Jalen Hurts
Brock Purdy
Kirk Cousins
Tom Brady
Dak Prescott
Daniel Jones
Geno Smith

Out of those 14 teams 8 of them got their QB in the first round. In the AFC specifically every one of the playoff quarterbacks was drafted by the team they took to the post season. There are other ways to build a playoff team outside of a first round QB but it generally involves some luck or a a big free agency deal.

First comeback win in a long time. This is the type of clutch gene he needs to activate in the 4th quarter.

Can’t wait till hear BB talk up Mac next year as his next opponent making him sound like he’s better than Tom Brady.

You know he will. lol

2024 good year for QB's.

a third-year quarterback should not be making that terrible point taking away interception towards the end of the first half. I've set it before elsewhere, but those are the type of throws that lose quarterbacks jobs. I don't think that throw head anything to do with the lack of talent at receiver. that was all Jones making a terrible, terrible game-breaking decision.
I was holding on to Hope that perhaps Bill, who everyone says is such a great coach, and some are still saying that he's good at evaluating personnel, could put together a competitive team around Jones. but I just don't think Jones can do it. we've seen enough. The rookie year was the outlier, not these last two seasons.
it's a real nut punch because it just means that this team is that much farther away from being competitive. if they bring Jones back next season, they're looking at another six or seven win team. And if they decide to go the rookie route, it's going to be a whole new rebuild. And I think we could be looking at another 3 to 5 years before the next playoff victory.
buckle up people, it's going to be really really bad for the next few years

This Thread should die Mac is the NOT Factor.

Mac lost “IT” when he suffered the high ankle sprain last year. He hasn’t been the same QB since that day and unless he “recovers” soon, “IT” won’t matter…

What it is..

I think the frustration is that Tom Brady was everything Mac Jones is not. It's a very noticeable drop off. You go from the penthouse to the outhouse seto speak.

You get accustomed to the comebacks, making everyone else better, championships, & GOAT performances. Then, one day it's suddenly gone. Instead of being conditioned to a win when your QB has the ball late, you go to expecting a loss in the same situation.

No matter who it was, the next guy at QB walked into an impossible situation. I think if Mac had been drafted a few years after Brady left, it may not be as noticeable. But he was drafted a year after Brady left for Tampa.

So I do feel bad for him. Unfortunately, it appears as though an amicable split may be beneficial to the organization and Mac.

I should add..the HC did him no favors by sticking him with Patricia and no great #1 WR/good OL.

Should just run an experiment for fans. Give Mac away for a 7th to the Vikings and see what he does? He’s got Addison, The Hobgoblin and Jefferson coming back. Let’s see if he has the “it “ factor.

But Minnesota did nothing to deserve that.

I think the frustration is that Tom Brady was everything Mac Jones is not. It's a very noticeable drop off. You go from the penthouse to the outhouse seto speak.

You get accustomed to the comebacks, making everyone else better, championships, & GOAT performances. Then, one day it's suddenly gone. Instead of being conditioned to a win when your QB has the ball late, you go to expecting a loss in the same situation.

No matter who it was, the next guy at QB walked into an impossible situation. I think if Mac had been drafted a few years after Brady left, it may not be as noticeable. But he was drafted a year after Brady left for Tampa.

So I do feel bad for him. Unfortunately, it appears as though an amicable split may be beneficial to the organization and Mac.

I should add..the HC did him no favors by sticking him with Patricia and no great #1 WR/good OL.
Mac's the rebound guy, anyone after Tom was not going to be as good, it's like a breakup, the next guy after a serious relationship is always the rebound guy, the guy after is the one.

Patriot fans should chant “You’re not Tom” at every underachieving quarterback for the rest of human history. That would be a hilarious fanbase schtick.

Rich Eisen: “The Patriot fan base again letting Joe Schmoe have it, once again chanting “You’re not Tom” through out the entire second half.
>casually throws up hands with worry and bewilderment in eyes.
“How is anyone supposed to play quarterback for this team?”

The OL is better and Miami's DL is nothing special. Still Mac had happy feet on a lot of plays. I doubt Mac will ever settle down.

I remember wondering why other teams hold onto a rookie QB too long. We are doing the same with Mac. Need a new QB.

Watching the game today, I assumed there would be tons of people blaming the loss on the refs. And while everyone acknowledged the refs were indeed terrible, the excuse this week to defend Mac is “hard to win when the defense lets up 31”

It’s incredible how people still can’t admit he’s just not that good.

When you face a team that can put up 70 points, doing this is just bad…

3 plays
5 plays
3 plays
4 plays
8 plays (INT)
1 play (end of half. Kneeled with 3 timeouts)
4 plays
4 plays
3 plays
14 plays
4 plays

They gave the Dolphins 11 possessions (10 if you exclude the kneeling). You just can’t do that.

It’s no surprise the defense came out fired up after a great win last week but became more and more tired (and demoralized) as the offense couldn’t put together sustained drives.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back