PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking into 2020 team... Who stays Who goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve heard this a few times and I can’t say it makes a lot of sense to me. After 20 years of (mostly) not aiming for top paydays, being a team guy but still well paid, he’s going to be a hard liner — willing to change teams, systems, coaches and owner over money that frankly won’t affect his family’s well being for generations to come? Hmmm.
The last I heard or saw the Brady family is worth $800 million plus and that was last year. So why change teams, coaches, and residence, it would a few extra million by taking the highest offer really make that much of a difference?

You are seriously all over the place with your numbers, confusing salary with salary cap. Also, the Pats currently have 49M in cap space. That includes the $6.375M for Brady's contract void.

Butler is a RFA. He's not getting a "big raise" unless someone forks over a draft pick.

KVN's salary was 4.75M with the game roster bonuses he earned. I don't see anyone paying KVN top dollar. If he doubles that, I'd be surprised.

This site shows $42m cap for 2020
New England Patriots 2020 Salary Cap

upload_2020-1-5_11-27-9.png

And KVN at over $6m cap hit in 2019

upload_2020-1-5_11-30-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-5_11-27-9.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-5_11-27-9.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2020-1-5_11-30-18.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-5_11-30-18.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1
Need to resolve Offensive Coordinator and QB before making many of the offensive decisions as maybe they change their philosophy. My assumption is that no one thinks Stidham is ready so you bring Brady back on an incentive laden deal. If he wants a lot of guarantees and multiple years then unfortunately I think it may be time to move on.

I go younger on defense - Move on from both McCourtey's and Chung (unless they come back extremely cheap) Ask Hightower to take a little less and let Collins and KVN go unless they can be signed are mid dollars.

Try and sign Thuney for around $10ish. Sanu would need to take a slight pay cut. Let Dorsett walk. Do not care of Lacosse is back - not sure of his $. Ghost is back for lower salary or move on.

Team needs to sign/trade for a top WR and/or TE I think and they'll need $ for that.

What proof do you have that AB quickly adapted to the playbook? The whopping 24 snaps that he took for the Patriots? If you're going by number of snaps, then you have to go with Sanu who had 37 during his first game with the Pats.

What makes you think that Dallas is going to let Cooper walk? Especially after they traded a #1 pick for him? The Cowboys are going to slap the franchise tag on Cooper.

Dak is free agent as well. Cannot tag both.

Let McCourty walk, he is useless, let KVN and Thuney go as they are comp Pick fodder.

The Pats need multiple WRs and TEs, they have exactly 1 at this point. The only success they have with WR is signing FA.

They also need a DE, safety, kick returner and a new place kicker.

Tommy,

Talent being equal, what position would you focus on first in either the draft or fa? TE, OL, WR, DL, Safety? Those I think would be our biggest needs.
OL, DT, TE, WR in that order. We need a quick and shifty receivers not necessarily a fast receiver.
Now those I don't want to see again or know we can't afford:
1. Sanu(Trade away, will take a fifth at this point, Falcons robbed us on the highway in daylight.
2. Cannon(thanks for all you have done, but either he has gotten old or he has gained too much weight and can't move his feet anymore)
3. KVN -Can't afford(He is just too slow for our needs. He is good, but he talks too much and is just not like the Patriots)
4. Newhouse
5. Dorsett

One thing is for sure, this is going to be a reshaping off season like 2007 and 2010. We have to hit on the draft. No more charity picks.

Last edited:
Dorsett MUST go. He's terrible and every year he's more and more disappointing. There is no potential there. He doesnt play as fast as his timed speed. Offers nothing after the catch. For a small undersized guy he is not quick at all. Disappears for long stretches and has been flat out invisible in some games. Fragile and injury prone.

Blast him out of Foxboro with a rocket launcher.

OL, OL, DT, TE, WR in that order. We need a quick and shifty receiver not necessarily a fast receiver.

amari cooper, excellent route runner. Can go vertical (which we dire needed). Young shifty.
Dallas has to franchise Dak. This leave Amari, unless Dallas give him a lucrative package.

Glazer is reporting that Brady will not take a team friendly deal so he's gone.
Sign a vet back up and roll with Stidham next year
Hope you not hanging your hat on a Glazer report

Sadly, some "famous named WRs" just cannot learn the Patriots WR complex playbook and techniques.

Likely Sanu is one of these as well. Antonio Brown with all of his issues, quickly adapted to the playbook.

We need a #1 WR (outside of Edelman) with the talent and the know-how.

I would try to sign Amari Cooper ($10m-$14m/yr). He is young, talented and pretty smart.

Sign Henry, TE and get another decent TE. Our current TE players should all be released.

We also need a THUMPER RB, ala, Blount-like. use for short yardage.
No way Cooper is signing for $10-$14m per year. He just got paid close to $14m this year and it will take a nice raise to get him. Cooks and Watkins are at $16m a year avg and Cooper will command more than them, especially in a weak WR FA field. He’s gonna get over $18m a year.

Aj Green is my binky. I like what Perriman played for Buccaneers especially after Godwin and Evans injury.

honestly blow up almost all of the skill players on offense.
switch up who does the scouting for offense

Would it shock anyone if Cannon calls it a career? Injuries have piled up.

Need to resolve Offensive Coordinator and QB before making many of the offensive decisions as maybe they change their philosophy. My assumption is that no one thinks Stidham is ready so you bring Brady back on an incentive laden deal. If he wants a lot of guarantees and multiple years then unfortunately I think it may be time to move on.

I go younger on defense - Move on from both McCourtey's and Chung (unless they come back extremely cheap) Ask Hightower to take a little less and let Collins and KVN go unless they can be signed are mid dollars.

Try and sign Thuney for around $10ish. Sanu would need to take a slight pay cut. Let Dorsett walk. Do not care of Lacosse is back - not sure of his $. Ghost is back for lower salary or move on.

Team needs to sign/trade for a top WR and/or TE I think and they'll need $ for that.

Who will be the starting safety?

No way Cooper is signing for $10-$14m per year. He just got paid close to $14m this year and it will take a nice raise to get him. Cooks and Watkins are at $16m a year avg and Cooper will command more than them, especially in a weak WR FA field. He’s gonna get over $18m a year.

I guess the point is, sign Amari. If Patriots willing to play $15m for Antonio, they should do same.
You get a #1 WR who can go vertical, excellent route runner, young and is not a head-case.

Cannot double cover him and Edelman.

Then, address the TE position.

I guess the point is, sign Amari. If Patriots willing to play $15m for Antonio, they should do same.
You get a #1 WR who can go vertical, excellent route runner, young and is not a head-case.

Cannot double cover him and Edelman.

Then, address the TE position.
Where does that cap space come from? I’d love to get him, but the Cowboys will likely tag him or re-sign him.

For the cost of Cooper you could likely get AJ Green and Eric Ebron.

How much would it cost to re-sign Antonio Brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes