PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead to the 2011 draft... WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shapes up to be a fun draft, even with Oakland refusing to be as lousy as they ought to be.
I have faith in Oakland. :p

All in all, I can't look at 2011 with Chung, Meriweather, Sanders & Brown all under contract and call that the #1 priority.
I never said #1, just "high." ;) This morning's news on Sergio Brown's contract changes the landscape, giving NE a Safety signed long term to pair with Chung. Meriweather is still under the microscope, but a strong bounce-back game helps. "If" he settles down and plays within the system, I think NE keeps him and looks to extend him; if not, he could be trade bait next Spring, Jax could use a veteran Safety for 5th or 6th in 2012. As of today, I still consider this a moderately high priority even with the Brown signing, much hinges on Meriweather and Page in the coming weeks.

I see more opportunity than need. If the juniors declare, this could be the first draft in a long time with multiple elite 3-4 DE prospects. I wouldn't pass that up.
Oh yes, if I had to guess today what NE does with Oakland's pick, this would be #1

I can't combine them in my mind, because of this: I think that adding a legit stud at OLB would make a much bigger impact on this defense than adding a stud ILB. ILB is looking truly stacked, while OLB is fairly deep and solid but could still use a real impact player.
I think NE has their impact player, maybe two, we're watching three OLBs develop before our eyes this season - and the team is still playing to the tune of 5-1. Like DL, I consider this an opportunity pick at best, more likely a late round addition (the kid from UCF makes everyone around him better, I like that in an OLB).

OL is the opposite of DL to me -- high need, and unfortunately not a ton of opportunity in the talent pool. Not loving the OL prospects at this point.
Not? Picky, picky. I've got a short list starting to develop behind my eyes, all of them LTs (at some point in their careers), though I saw a Center I liked this weekend. I still rate this more an opportunity pick than a critical need, at the end of the day I'm comfortable with the line's progression. I expect NE to look for potential starters, but ones who will begin their careers as reserves.

It's a puzzle, partially because we have no clue about Price. Redshirt? Numbers game? Bust? Who knows? Even Tate is still an enigma. Again, though, this is an opportunity position that's loaded in the draft.
Opportunity does abound in this draft.

"Shopping" for the practice squad definitely counts as lowwww priority.
Yee of little faith, BB is going to start counting Hernandez as a Hybrid WR, if he doesn't already, and start carrying four TEs on the roster. :p

Good analysis on both sides. :popcorn:

Before the season started, I was looking at DL and OLB being major areas of need.

However, Cunningham is making good progress and Ninkovich has come from out of nowhere to make plays for this defense. And the line has quality depth and has played much better than I expected.

On the other side, our offensive line has held up okay, but at times has shown to be overmatched at all spots. At WR, we lose Moss and Tate hasn't stepped up to the level we need at stretching the field.
Tate is essentially in his first year, he got a bit of a head start more or less red shirting last season, but he's performing at a first year level. I just don't think NE wants to try him deep just yet, but I think it's coming.

Tate is essentially in his first year, he got a bit of a head start more or less red shirting last season, but he's performing at a first year level. I just don't think NE wants to try him deep just yet, but I think it's coming.

We're saving him for that Sat. night playoff game against Tennessee. After a bye. Think Bethel Johnson.

BB is going to start counting Hernandez as a Hybrid WR, if he doesn't already, and start carrying four TEs on the roster. :p

Stop toying with my emotions. ;)

Were it up to me, we'd carry SIX Ends ~ 3 Grunts, 3 Cutters ~ and 2 FullBacks ~ 1 Sam Gash, 1 Kevin Turner ~ and 4 other BackFielders, all of whom played QB in College: Sort of a Paul Hornung/Julian Edelman/Tim Tebow/Michael Vick ~ minus the murder ~ combo...AFTER General Tom Brady retires with 8 Championship rings, at the end of this decade, of course. :cool:

Yes, I know I've lost it. No news flash, there. :D

It's just that every time I see this league getting faster and smaller, faster and smaller, faster and smaller...I can't help but think: "We could go Four HorseMen on these donkeys ~ Speed, Power, Strength, and Fluidity at The Point of Contact ~ and roll off 2 or 3 Super Bowls before they even get a CLUE as to how to stop us."

Nicely put, sir.

For my money, we've GOT 5 Wides, in various stages of Evolution.

No need to draft any more, but I am ALWAYS up for highly skilled cats from small schools ~ or deep on the Depth Charts ~ who go UFA: Scott Long, Blair White, Steve Williams, and Dave Nelson were all there, last year, if I recall. :cool:

A.J Green would make our corps the deadliest in the NFL:).

Could you imagine?:)

:cool:

Remember.... BB was going balls deep on Crabtree..... he was almost a pat..... Who is to say we let Green pass us by?

I think the carolina panthers will take A.J Green.Armon Binns from Cincinnati is an intriguing prospect.Mel Kiper is high on him.I am interested in wat type of 40 time he will run.

Last edited:
Safety: All of the above is still valid. Meriweather is the key, was San Diego an aberration? Can he start playing more under control? More disciplined? Can he make himself over into the Safety we all hoped for? Until we know, I expect this to be top priority.

I don't think Meriweather has been as big an issue as you are hinting at. It is fine to harp on control and discipline, but the best safeties are asked to make plays. That involves instinct (which he has) and good decision making (not so much). I'll give him a break considering he is playing behind a lot of new faces that are experiencing growing pains.

I don't see safety as a top priority but there are some ball hawks that should be lingering in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see one taken there or early 3rd if the value presents itself.

Defensive Line: Looking less and less like a major need.

Agree with Patchick that value and opportunity trump need at DE in this draft. I can see Belichick getting Darwinian with the DL and just letting the fittest 6 survive. I could see a Wright or Pryor being (reluctantly) let go and replaced with a top pick.

Linebacker: I'm combining both here because I think NE has found their future.

I'm not as optimistic. I think ILB is generally set but this defense could seriously use a rush OLB that demands attention and wreaks destruction when left 1-on-1. That will have a domino effect on the entire team on 3rd downs...and lets be frank, that is the weak area for this defense if not the entire team. More players held back to block, less out in pass routes, QB throwing earlier, DBs covering for shorter durations, etc. I agree that if the Pats had limited picks, they might be better used elsewhere. Given the amount of high value picks and likely high quality rush OLB candidates, seems like the perfect storm to get a QB-seeking missile in April.

Cornerback: You can never have too many good Cornerbacks.

This all hinges on Butler. If he has just hit a rough patch and will bounce back, he will need opportunity and reps to reach his potential. Drafting a top CB will likely stunt his growth. If Butler is a washout or just a depth guy, then a top CB becomes a priority. I guess we should know that by April.

Offensive Line: I'm combining all three positions here, I'm also raising the priority a little. I think NE will be shopping for a multi-tool OL.

Agree with Patchick that this group of OL candidates is less than ideal. I like Carimi, but even he doesn't seem like a slam dunk stud. This draft will likely be used to add more pieces to the future OL puzzle, like with Ohrnberger. But I'm not expecting a Mankins or Vollmer type of pick from this class.

Runningback: It's now a high priority, though I'm not convinced NE shops too high for one.

Assuming BJGE and Woodhead are on-board (assume both will be RFAs under the new CBA), I would think a vet RB would be in order. Getting 1 or 2 candidates with later round picks, hoping to strike gold but not depending on it, seems like a good possibility.

Wide Receiver: I don't know how to handicap this one, Price is looking more and more like he's a red shirt being developed for 2011. Welker, Tate, Edelman are all looking good, though better health would be nice. Branch is still a band aide, for now. I don't think NE is actively looking for a top WR, but I expect them to draft at least one in the mid rounds.

I've bounced around on WR and haven't come to any kind of conclusion. If all the expected juniors declare, the chances are good that a top WR will slip to the late 1st or early 2nd round. If that happens, the value may be too good to pass up. If Floyd or Jones are sitting there at around 35, how can you pass them up?

Tight End: Given how TE fits in the new plans, I can see NE shopping for another, preferably a receiving TE who can develop on the PSquad behind Hernandez.

I honestly can not imagine a TE being drafted unless they double as a FB or kick butt on special teams.

Quarterback: They're always in season, late.

That is the best part of the draft prediction contest. I actually got O'Connell right a couple of years back but as it turns out it wasn't my finest moment.

I actually got O'Connell right a couple of years back but as it turns out it wasn't my finest moment.

This Post has been Flagged for an OverShare Violation.

Remember.... BB was going balls deep on Crabtree..... he was almost a pat..... Who is to say we let Green pass us by?

I don't remember this, do you have a link? BTW Green probably won't make it to us at the rate the Raiders are playing Baldwin or Floyd are looking like more realistic options.

I don't remember this, do you have a link?

Ditto -- I don't recall any talk of Belichick gunning for Crabtree, I'm very curious where this comes from.

I don't know about you but if our pick is top 5. I am thinking (pending a massive form slump) Adrian Clayborne. He could contribute on all 4 downs. He to me is the closest to seymour i have seen penetration and style wise. Now... if only someone could teach him to wrap up when he tackels.

I don't know about you but if our pick is top 5. I am thinking (pending a massive form slump) Adrian Clayborne. He could contribute on all 4 downs. He to me is the closest to seymour i have seen penetration and style wise. Now... if only someone could teach him to wrap up when he tackels.

I don't have a link. But, I've read he has a problem with one of his shoulders. We'll find out I guess at the combine if serious or not. Not sure he's a 3-4 end though.

Actually Christian Ballard strikes me as the closest to Big Sey from that Iowa line. Remember, Seymour was a 4-3 DT in college. And Ballard plays DT in a 4-3 and DE when they switch to a 3-4 alignment. Sound familiar? :)

I like Clayborn too. I like him an awful lot. But if he comes to the combine at 280# or so then I don't think he'd be a great fit for us.

Clayborne is a nice 4-3 DE. He's more of a power rusher and he'll need some scheme help at the NFL level.

Ballard would be a decent 4-3 DE or an okay DT. His ball awareness isn't the greatest, while his athleticism is awesome. Get him out on the edge where he can have more time to react to the ball, and can use his athleticism to make plays.

When you watch Iowa you see DT Karl Klug drawing more than his share of double-teams.
The other kid I see eating a number of double-teams now is Jr. DT Mike Daniels. Clayborne is coming in #3 for double-teams behind Klug and McDaniels, and that mostly RB/TE help on passing downs.

This is literally the first that I have ever heard someone say that about Crabtree and the Pats.

- The Pats had the #23 pick of that draft.
- Crabtree was projected to go in the top five or so.
- The Pats had Randy Moss under contract for two more years
- All the talk was about Brady returning and hooking up with Moss again.
- Belichick has very little history of drafting up into the top ten due to rookie salaries and salary cap constraints.
- Starting from the #23 position the Pats had little to offer in exchange in a trade even if they did want to trade up into the top ten.
- The Pats would have talked to Crabtree to find out about what kind of salary he was expecting before considering a trade; remember that long holdout he had with SF?

Not sure where you got that information from, but the bottom line is ... no, Crabtree was never remotely close to becoming a Patriot.

Last edited:

Where did you get this from???? I'm fairly certain that Crabtree was never on the Pats radar.

I don't have a link. But, I've read he has a problem with one of his shoulders. We'll find out I guess at the combine if serious or not. Not sure he's a 3-4 end though.

Hmmm maybe i am mistaken then. But in the videos i have seen he certainly looked big enough for the role i guess i will have to do a bit more looking into it. I just had a look at some videos today and he was extremely powerful and disruptive both inside and out

Post SD game WR seems like more of a need, someone who can take some pressure off of the underneath stuff. My question is this, I think we all can agree A.J. Green is a major talent, however can he run ALL the routes the pats ask receivers to run? It seems to me, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that the qualities the Patriots favor in their receivers are quick, excellent route runners. Those qualities generally favor smaller receivers (Branch, Welker, Brown, Patten, etc. etc.) so with that said does that rule out Baldwin, Jones, Green and Floyd? The obvious break from this "rule" was Moss, but Moss was literally a once in a generation type talent. Really, I hope you appreciated him while he was here because most of us will NEVER see something like Moss again. Once Moss lost the ability to consistently do what made him so unique he was gone. So again, I don't see us drafting any of the top rated receivers so who else is out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back