PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lightning has struck twice.

Loved what I saw from him.

A few mistakes here and there, but nothing concerning.

I was a little nervous after the first series, he looked a little overwhelmed. That fumble was one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. He rebounded VERY WELL from that and to me that's the most impressive thing. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has a brain fart. Everyone gets nervous. How do you REACT to it and how do you rebound. That's what the most important. Mac passed that test with flying colors and, to me, that's the most encouraging thing.

The poise, the decision making, the character. All of that seem there. The rest will come with experience and coaching.

We have a good one, hopefully we can surround him well and most importantly keep him upright.

Comments:

1.) Let's pump the brakes a bit here...

2.) Yeah, I see it too...we all know it... that was an impressive opening debut for a ROOKIE QB.... Lawrence tossed 3 INT's at home, Wilson looked under duress and made some throws, Fields scored a TD in a sub package, and the same for Lance.... but Mac? I didn't feel "worried" about him at all. Looked like a 3rd year veteran with 30+ games under his belt.

3.) My most favorite part about today's performance was how he looked like the loss just damn nearly killed him while he was sitting on the bench at the end....
Agreed that we can't go totally go overboard, it is extremely unlikely we (or anybody) has Brady 2.0 (for one thing, Mac is not the same type of athlete, at least not yet).

....That said, what rookie QB starting in the first game of the season is put under that type of pressure by a good defense and responds like that? No turnovers, 75% completion. Very, very impressive. Based on watching him in college I wasn't surprised that he didn't throw balls up for grabs under pressure (the way Tua did). What I did NOT expect and did NOT see in college (mostly because he was never under that type of pass rush) was the way he altered his arm angle (weren't some of the passes almost sidearm?) to fit the ball through windows. Plus, although he was very good at moving in the pocket in college, I was surprised at just how good and creative he was in the pocket yesterday. I'm sure he will make some rookie mistakes this season, but what a debut. Wow. If he is the real thing having a long term answer at QB (especially at his salary) is going to be a real gift for the Pats in the future.

My one worry is if he will be able to continue taking those types of hits and avoid losing games due to injury. Brady himself said that his body wasn't really prepared to last a whole season of hits as a rookie, and that is the case with most rookie QBs apart from a few athletically sculpted marvels like Jalen Hurts (a high school weight-lifting champion). I hope that Mac isn't subject to as many hits in every game as he was against Miami, or I really worry about his durability in his rookie season. Hopefully the Patriots are re-looking at backup options at QB (and RT).

Last edited:
We won't always be going up against a pass rush as strong as Miami's.

I do agree though that the OL needs to tighten up a bit. That will probably get better as Mac is able to open up the range on his throws. When the team feels comfortable letting Mac get out in the 15 yard range a bit more often the D can't stack the box or blitz as easily because they have to drop more coverage back and then we'll see the physical burden on Mac lighten up a bit. Miami played a lot of stacked sets against the run and that makes blitzing super easy. Once they trust Mac enough to really turn him loose they'll have to spread wider and deeper and that can only help with durability.

Also he'll learn to anticipate contact a bit better as he gains experience and learn to be where the contact isn't, the same way brady and any other young Qb does if they want to last a long time in the league.

I am so impressed by the mental fortitude of Mac. He had that moment early on where he got spun around and turfed the ball behind him, seemingly out of sheer panic. And I thought, oh boy here we go, rookie qb gonna rookie qb...

And then Mac went on to have the game he did. And it's not as if he had a squeaky clean pocket the rest of the way either.

Just going to post one play from last night, and it was one I thought stood out which Evan Lazar has highlighted just now.....

Honestly, if you're not excited, you should be.

Just going to post one play from last night, and it was one I thought stood out which Evan Lazar has highlighted just now.....

Play says it all......Poise, toughness, knowledge, accuracy

Play says it all......Poise, toughness, knowledge, accuracy

More exciting to me was that he wasn't fooled by the single high coverage that Miami showed pre-snap. He knew it was going to go to a cover 2 and threw on Agholor's outside shoulder.

very few QBs can make that throw, let alone rookies.

We've got a live one.

It’s just game one…
RG3 when he debuted looked like the goat…then you know what happened.
A terrible comparison. Understand your point but two completely different players. One relied on his legs the other his pre-snap read and arm. RGIII had his leg tore up and was never the same.

There was also that long one to jacoby that was unfortunately a great breakup by J Mac . If not for a spectacular defensive play that was another dime. The one to white was o_O

just because the arguments presented here by one poster have been so silly:
The funniest part is twofold:

1. When the Pats were actually IN the Redzone they did run 12 personnel groupings. It was outside the RZ where they didn't as much.

2. Flexing the TEs outside the hashes was to better show 1. the coverage 2. the MIKE and 3. where the blitz was coming from. If they come into 12 with the Dolphins crowding the LOS/overloading a side the TEs have a harder time being a hot route and you reduce the numbers of hot route targets, make it easier to bracket the WRs making it easier on the blitz to get home. In short, it simplifies the defense for the QB and you could see the result in the hot route completions made in that game. A couple of which were one missed tackle from being huge plays themselves.

No question they need to improve the protections and hit a couple big plays to back future defenses off, but just thinking it's as simple as "just run 12" is ridiculous.

The pats hit the jack pot, drafting mac. He's going to end up being the best qb taken in the draft.
I think you're right and hoping his performance and growth continues. . .

In the meantime, here's some Interesting Grades on the 2021 Rookie QB's from "Sporting News" after Week #1.

Trey Lance and Justin Fields got Incomplete Grades because they only made short "Cameo" appearances.

Zack Wilson played his entire game and received a C for his effort with a 54.1% Completion Rate, 2 TD's and 1 INT.

Trever Lawrence played his entire game and received a C+ for his effort with a 54.9% Completion Rate, 3 TD's and 3 INT's.

Mac Jones played his entire game and received a B+ for his effort with a 74% Completion Rate, 1 TD and 0 INT's.

Of course it's only one game but I'm really liking that 15th Pick.
:)

A terrible comparison. Understand your point but two completely different players. One relied on his legs the other his pre-snap read and arm. RGIII had his leg tore up and was never the same.

Yep…Mac is exactly the type of prototype who lasts in the league. RGIII is exactly the type of prototype who flames out quickly.

Alright, another one.........

This was the one that assured me this kid has it. Tons of zip on it, right on the money. This was the "high floor" thing the draftniks were talking about. Let's see how he matures. Can't wait.

Went to watch the all 22 and point out some things he did well and maybe not so well...only to find it's not there and now it may not be there until next week at the earliest. BS! Unacceptable NFL. I paid 100+ bucks. To have this option.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back