PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's not get overconfident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Let's not get overconfident.

With that next stretch it's hard not to see 3-3 at best with a 6-4 mark heading into week 11

We have the toughest stretch of games I can remember in the BB era coming up,I just wonder how brutalized this defense will get with Roethlisberger,Manning,Flacco,Favre,rivers coming up

There are 2 sure fire HOFers in there at QB and possibly more facing this young defense during the next month and a half...it's an incredibly tough task to ask a defense with players in their early 20s to handle it consistently.

We go 3-3 during that stretch and I will be elated

Last edited:

Pretty on point analysis.

I honestly deeply expected to go home tonight, 2-2, thinking this team would need a lot of work. I'm pleasently surprised and I don't think it's a stretch to think we have a good team on our hands. The question is how good.

The jury is still out if Miami is even an impressie win. Once they beat the Baltimore's, and the Pittsburgh's, I'll be convinced. Let me just say. Nikovich has been the invisible man for 3 games, and tonight he caught 2 picks, thats far from estalishing himself as a good starter. Was this his lucky tonight? Did it factor in with Cunningham playing a good amount? Whos know, I'm rooting for the guy, I am. I just call it as I see it and he has yet to prove he's a crucial piece to this roster. Lets see him do this again and I'll be impressed. One more impressive performance like this, and some consistent play and hey he has a future here.

Lots of questions to be answered after the bye. I'm gld we have a brutal schedule. We'll know full well what kind of team we have by December. Good teams win consistently, great teams beat up the good teams.

Pretty on point analysis.

I honestly deeply expected to go home tonight, 2-2, thinking this team would need a lot of work. I'm pleasently surprised and I don't think it's a stretch to think we have a good team on our hands. The question is how good.

The jury is still out if Miami is even an impressie win. Once they beat the Baltimore's, and the Pittsburgh's, I'll be convinced. Let me just say. Nikovich has been the invisible man for 3 games, and tonight he caught 2 picks, thats far from estalishing himself as a good starter. Was this his lucky tonight? Did it factor in with Cunningham playing a good amount? Whos know, I'm rooting for the guy, I am. I just call it as I see it and he has yet to prove he's a crucial piece to this roster. Lets see him do this again and I'll be impressed. One more impressive performance like this, and some consistent play and hey he has a future here.

Lots of questions to be answered after the bye. I'm gld we have a brutal schedule. We'll know full well what kind of team we have by December. Good teams win consistently, great teams beat up the good teams.

1) If anyone is feeling overconfident because of this one win, well, they are too far gone to be helped.
2) This is an impressive win even if Miami is not playing its best or is not a powerhouse. A divisional win in Miami??? That is and has been a tough test for us always!
3) Let's not write our eulogy just yet. The Patriots are capable of winning. Yes, not as capable as a few years ago but we aren't the Raiders either. We have an offense that can score and sometimes score a lot. Anytime you have that you can win.
4) The one thing I liked that is not being mentioned much is the defense played much better in the second half. The first half was "wow, these guys really suck. They can't stop anyone" <Henne and Ninkovich helped keep the game in reach). The second half was a defense actually making some plays. No, they weren't world beaters but whoa! passes being defensed? attacking the point of reception? solid run defense? Stops on third down?? What was in the gatorade they drank at half time?
5) I thought one of the talking knuckle-heads calling the game made a good point. He mentioned that the Patriots were giving receivers a lot of space so far this year. I have noticed that in all the games. In the second half I think I might have saw less of that...and the results might be worth a glimmer of optimism. I figured BB was waiting to see a some growth before he closed the amount of space he was giving.
6) Neither is ready for the HOF (not by a long shot) but some on this board gotta feel a bit embarrassed about some of the things posted about Ninkovich and Woodhead. Worst LB in the league and a one week Jet cast off pickup that will be gone in a week?
7) The secondary is young and struggling. A positive like this (the second half) might just allow one step forward. One or two steps forward just might be enough to make some stops and get the offense back on the field. I believe if we can get the offense more possessions we have a real shot at winning games against top tier opponents.

Was a good win (always good to beat The Fins..especially in Miami) and thank god for the special teams.
My concerns though, as I am sure is everyonesm is still with defence and especially the inability to stop teams on 3rd down conversions. I thought for sure that would do us in last night as in the first 1/2 Miami was converting 3rd and long every single time.
This is a one key area that has to get better. Brady and Co. can shoot the lights out but the key is to get the opposiition off the field. Too many drives continuing on these 3rd down conversions. That has to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents