PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's check in with our friendly Steeler fans (Merged: Other Team Forums React (AB - Patriots))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. Millions of fans were all psyched about the season thinking their team could have a good year.

They may still have a good year but any optimism is gone.

Just emptiness, hopelessness and a season spent staring into the abyss.

I've been there with this team and it's not fun.

It's funny I have loved the Pats since the 74 Celtics title. (funny that associate all my Boston fandom beginning with fairly vague memory of that team, then the 75 Sox and 76 Pats, but remember it starting for me with the 74 Celtics)

I never felt like it was an abyss because it felt to me like the SB was this all world impossible mountain at that time, even though we made some good runs. And on top of that I always loved the way an NFL Sunday felt and I went to two home games a year with my dad (RIP)

I have not missed a Super Bowl since Super Bowl 10.

It's funny I have loved the Pats since the 74 Celtics title. (funny that associate all my Boston fandom beginning with fairly vague memory of that team, then the 75 Sox and 76 Pats, but remember it starting for me with the 74 Celtics)

I never felt like it was an abyss because it felt to me like the SB was this all world impossible mountain at that time, even though we made some good runs. And on top of that I always loved the way an NFL Sunday felt and I went to two home games a year with my dad (RIP)

My sports awareness/fandom was 1979/1980. All 4 teams were pretty good. Thought it would be that way forever.

Nope

The notion that the Pats are "above the rules" is just the funniest and most absurd thing imaginable. The Pats broke a rule in terms of videoing defensive signals from an improper location - something the Jets did the year before. The Jets got NOTHING. The Patriots got a huge fine and lost a first round draft pick. Then the Patriots see the laws of physics apply to their footballs in the playoffs and get docked another million, a first and fourth round draft picks, and get their QB suspended for four games. Meanwhile, the Panthers are caught DURING A GAME, on television, tampering with footballs just a few weeks earlier and the league literally does nothing to them. To refresh your memory on Deflategate, go here:

A Thorough Look at DeflateGate - How Did We Get To This Point?

The thought that the league is in cahoots with the franchise they've absolutely hammered for either the laws of physics or something other teams were actually caught doing but did not get punished for...is so absurd, so ridiculous, one can only really laugh at these idiots who believe it. And there are LOTS of such idiots, apparently.

To add a little more context, idiots believe that the Patriots are the biggest cheaters in football history because they tampered with footballs and used illegal electronic devices on the sideline. Their combines penalties, which idiots believe prove how super serious the infractions were, were the loss of 2 first round picks, a 4th round pick, starting QB suspended for 4 games and $1.75 million in fines. In addition, these rules violations are referenced constantly.

In December of 2016, the New York Giants were guilty of tampering with footballs (measuring the PSI of footballs used by the Steelers) and using illegal electronic devices on the sideline (walkie-talkies.) These actions, we're told, are the most serious rules violations in NFL history, threatening the league's core values of honest competition and fair play. The Giants penalties were only for the walkie-talkie use and resulted in $200k in fines and their 4th round pick dropped 10 spots, from #130 to #140. Neither they or the Steelers were penalized for tampering with footballs and both of these rules violations are rarely, if ever, mentioned.

But, yeah, the Patriots are "above the rules" and the league looks out for them and covers up their misdeeds.

To add a little more context, idiots believe that the Patriots are the biggest cheaters in football history because they tampered with footballs and used illegal electronic devices on the sideline. Their combines penalties, which idiots believe prove how super serious the infractions were, were the loss of 2 first round picks, a 4th round pick, starting QB suspended for 4 games and $1.75 million in fines. In addition, these rules violations are referenced constantly.

In December of 2016, the New York Giants were guilty of tampering with footballs (measuring the PSI of footballs used by the Steelers) and using illegal electronic devices on the sideline (walkie-talkies.) These actions, we're told, are the most serious rules violations in NFL history, threatening the league's core values of honest competition and fair play. The Giants penalties were only for the walkie-talkie use and resulted in $200k in fines and their 4th round pick dropped 10 spots, from #130 to #140. Neither they or the Steelers were penalized for tampering with footballs and both of these rules violations are rarely, if ever, mentioned.

But, yeah, the Patriots are "above the rules" and the league looks out for them and covers up their misdeeds.

My favorite punishment to revisit is the one the NYFL gave to the Dolphins in 1970. They lost a 1st round pick and were fined a record amount for the illegal way they got Don Shula on their team. Then in 2007 Shula decided to use the Pats' loss of a 1st rounder and a fine as the reason to put an asterisk next to the Pats if they went 19-0. The senile old prick forgot that his undefeated season was a direct result of the Dolphins breaking the rules to get him. Luckily, some of his players chimed in and had Shula keep quiet. Too late. I never think of the Dolphins 17-0 season without thinking of their real cheating.

I also started following sports mid 70's when I was a wee lad. Most of my youth was terrible except for the Celts. Now my adult life has been spoiled. And man am I old.

Me neither

I bet you do think of the undefeated Dolphins' season at times. We don't hear about it as much as we used to though. It was a half century ago.

I bet you do think of the undefeated Dolphins' season at times. We don't hear about it as much as we used to though. It was a half century ago.

Ugh, almost 50 sounds bad enough. When you throw out terms like 'half a century' I feel close to elderly.

I also started following sports mid 70's when I was a wee lad. Most of my youth was terrible except for the Celts. Now my adult life has been spoiled. And man am I old.

You guys just missed the greatest dynasty and the GOAT of all GOATs. I experienced the benefits of being over the hill.

This is just a shockingly bad take considering he’s talking about a team that employed Kareem Hunt and continues to employ Tyreek Hill but people just lose their damn minds when it comes to the Patriots.

Attachments

• E190DD0E-C525-4770-9830-63AB7ECE818D.jpeg
    E190DD0E-C525-4770-9830-63AB7ECE818D.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 12
I’ve thought from the start the Patriots were always an option. People are still stuck in this delusion that Belichick won’t bring in malcontents.

You guys just missed the greatest dynasty and the GOAT of all GOATs. I experienced the benefits of being over the hill.
I never felt so much like I "missed it". I remember going to games and looking at the rafters.. and counting how many of them were year after year and year.

We also forget how the 70s and 80s teams really stretched that thing out. 1957-1986 - 16 titles out of 30 years.

And the Celtics only had very brief down years between the Dynasties... After 1969, The Celtics got to 68-14 in 73(Best record in their history, though they lost in the playoffs with Hondo injurred)

Won the champion ship 74 and 76. Four straight Eastern Conference Finals 73-76.

Bird turns them around to 61-21 in 79/80.

My original point though was that at my youngest sports memories the Patriots did not feel like an abyss. They were great in 76-80, (even historic and transformational with their offense, which Howard Cosell said at the time)

And the Bruins went to the cup 74, 78, and 79 (their wins in 70, 72 were before my memory)

The Red Sox were expected to be almost dynastic at that time as well after 75 but disappointed.

It was harder to make the playoffs in everything back then, and ending up the champion was as result much harder. Hind site way too often makes it sound like those times were all dark. Pats early 90s was the only real dark period in my memory window. (1981 was a fluke because our QB broke his leg and the season went to hell)

I wonder if the Chiefs planet is a good representation of what Kansas City is actually like

Easily the largest bunch of degenerates on a sports forum that I’ve come across.

My sports awareness/fandom was 1979/1980. All 4 teams were pretty good. Thought it would be that way forever.

Nope

1979-80??? For all 4????

Yeah, it got BETTER.

Has anyone ever gotten Russell and Brady in the same room at the same time for a good, in-depth sit down interview? I would pay to see that.

Also would've loved to see Red and BB together. Red passed in 2006, a year before Cameragate and the onset of the Pats becoming national villains. Oh man, the things he would've said.........

I'm enjoying the discussion on Karma. I don't think they know what it means.

Karma is the Pats winning after having to put up with fabricated 'Gate' after 'Gate' ********.

Karma is winning despite picks being stolen and the GOAT being suspended.

Karma is winning despite the NFL powers that be trying their best to help them lose.

That is Karma.

This is just a shockingly bad take considering he’s talking about a team that employed Kareem Hunt and continues to employ Tyreek Hill but people just lose their damn minds when it comes to the Patriots.
Lol does Whitlock know about Andy's sons?? Yea great father figure there, what a fkn biased moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots