PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League opt-outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
KC doesn't ask their RB's to do a lot of pass pro. Bottom 5 in the league. Plus he's good in that area. Reliable and thinks on his feet.

Thanks for the info. My larger point remains. Williams was huge for the in the AFC champ game vs. Pats two years ago and the Chiefs may not have another Lombardi trophy without him. He came up big again in the SB. They are will the class of the league without him but it is a significant loss.

Solder's suitation is interesting.

Nate is 32 and having already earned $60 million plus he might decide he likes loafing around with the kids and choose to retire.

On the other hand 24 hours a day hanging with the wife might make him gladly play out the last 2 years of his deal provided the Giants haven't found a younger, cheaper replacement.
One has to think this all has to do with with his son Hudson and his battle with cancer... hes been beating the drim for a while now, saying no football if it isnt safe... guess he doesnt think its safe...

And his job will be gone next year when Clyde Edwards-Helaire takes over. Hilarious.

So will a lot of vets with rookies getting an early opportunity......Hightower a year older and huge cap hit? Cannon is old, potentially the same story...Chung? Pats brought in a lot of younger talent at safety.

One has to think this all has to do with with his son Hudson and his battle with cancer... hes been beating the drim for a while now, saying no football if it isnt safe... guess he doesnt think its safe...
He, like Cannon, have a valid excuse as they are both cancer survivors. In fact, they've made enough money to simply walk away from the game as they should.

So will a lot of vets with rookies getting an early opportunity......Hightower a year older and huge cap hit? Cannon is old, potentially the same story...Chung? Pats brought in a lot of younger talent at safety.
As I said above, Cannon should just retire as he's made plenty of money.

Chung is declining and Dugger should be chomping at the bit to take over. Phillips will also have a chance to start as well. Chung has the best chance of losing his job if he returns next year.

I think the Pats have enough bodies at LB to be okay but HT's leadership will be missed. I expect Winovich to take leap.

if a player has a medical condition that might make them prone to more severe issues as a result of contracting Covid or even the flu and they decide to opt out....it is understandable. These same folks may want to consider retirement because odds are the Flu and covid viruses are not going to completely “go away” anytime soon

What an amazing position these guys are in. You can sit home and get paid $150k-$350k while the rest of your teammates are playing. Anyone that has played competitive sports will know these quitters won't be welcomed back by teammates a year from now unless you're a high risk individual.

Meanwhile, many Americans are anxious to actually get back to work just to make enough money to pay rent/mortgage and take care of their families.

I'm sure that he is aware of that, but I don't care either way. What is more important to me is that this is big hit to their RB depth. The Chiefs obviously still have plenty of talent on offense and CEH could be a monster for them but will he be as reliable as Williams at picking up blitzes, bc teams will definitely test him early and often. He was solid in this role at the college level but how will that translate versus professionals? Also, more likely than not, CEH will miss some time bc of injury or illness (COVID 19 is real) this year. Do they have the depth now to run their offense in the event of a multi-week CEH absence?

Plus CEH doesn't know their offense so it'll probably take a year for him to get proficient...

As I said above, Cannon should just retire as he's made plenty of money.

Chung is declining and Dugger should be chomping at the bit to take over. Phillips will also have a chance to start as well. Chung has the best chance of losing his job if he returns next year.

I think the Pats have enough bodies at LB to be okay but HT's leadership will be missed. I expect Winovich to take leap.

With HT gone, Anfernee Jennings has a shot at significant playing time...

With HT gone, Anfernee Jennings has a shot at significant playing time...
I think Jennings is extremely underrated and fans/media are sleeping on him.

He, like Cannon, have a valid excuse as they are both cancer survivors. In fact, they've made enough money to simply walk away from the game as they should.

They don't have excuses. They have reasons. An excuse is the dog ate my homework ... Not wanting to play a game because of possible exposure to covid is a reason. A valid reason.

They don't have excuses. They have reasons. An excuse is the dog ate my homework ... Not wanting to play a game because of possible exposure to covid is a reason. A valid reason.
That's what I meant. I didn't mean it in a snarky way.

This is a really awkward situation for Solder and the Giants. His $13 million dead money limited how much cap room the Giants could save by cutting him this past March, but next year he’s going to have half as much dead money and be a year older after taking a year off. They’re going to cut him next March.
Wouldn’t his dead money be the same if his contract tolls?

Jesus, you are an a-hole. They will be welcomed with open arms by their teammates next year...

While they might be cordial, players who take over for no-shows aren't going to willingly give it up the position going into the next season.

One more factor to consider for those players who are assessing the "risk" involved...

While they might be cordial, players who take over for no-shows aren't going to willingly give it up the position going into the next season.

One more factor to consider for those players who are assessing the "risk" involved...
It is certainly creating opportunities for players who would otherwise have been cut.

They can live in a hotel for a few months. Quarantine after. We'll probably have the same conversation next year as this virus most likely will be around.

If they don't want to play, fine. They just shouldn't get paid for it unless they are high risk. It would fantastic to tell your employer that you're not working until things get better, but you still expect a direct deposit into your checking account every month.

Good one QM! I'm actually surprised you responded since you love drive by ratings. You go straight to my last question while ignoring the fact people need to work and don't have the advantages of these athletes. But screw them right? How dare I criticize an athlete I know you're down with the lockdowns/cancel everything and don't care if people are out of work. You must be rich.
Here is the part I don’t understand from the argument. And, yes, it’s overboard on purpose :

Millionaires who got made money on their production or potential should automatically sequester from family - even though they have the option to stay with family and collect a six figure salary - because you (and other posters) feel it’s disrespectful to the people who are poorer or have lost their jobs ?

Just can’t understand that logic. Why does HT need to play a violent sport, at 30 years old, when he’s made tens of millions of dollars, won 3 SBs and would prefer being with a newborn, his wife, and his diabetic mother ? Each player can make whatever choice they want in their life. Who cares if a bunch of random strangers lost their jobs ? Why does Donta need to play because of that ? It makes no sense.

People’s hardships are irrelevant to the question « should an NFLer play this season - or ANY season ». Barry Sanders was disrespecting the single mother working at Dunkin D because he retired within prime years ?

...I think the Pats have enough bodies at LB to be okay but HT's leadership will be missed. I expect Winovich to take leap.
I consider Wino a DE and not really part of the LB group, which also now needs a quality-backup-caliber vet replacement...as does DT...and DE...and OT...and TE/FB...and WR (the last one on general principles)...

Last edited:
Not that I blame him or anything, I guess...but just curious, who'll be paying for his training for the next 5 months? Not the school I hope...
I assume he'll get an agent who will cover thing in the hopes of him making it. It's what they do after the college season is over.

I consider Wino a DE and not part of the LB group, which also now needs a quality-backup-level vet replacement...as does DE...and DT...and OT...and TE/FB...and WR (the last one on general principles)...
I really don’t think we have specifically LBs and DEs.
I think we have a group of players in the 260 lb range give or take who are hybrids that BB mixes and matches.
Our real base defense is 2 DTs, 5 DBs and 4 hybrids. Some seem more like DEs and other seem more like LBs but most can play multiple disciplines.
Whether you want to call it 3-3, 4-2, or 2-4 is pretty irrelevant. Typically at least one of the 4 will play like a DE and one will play like a LB on any given play but the other could be any combination depending on opponent, situation and play call.
This is really where we have become unpredictable and what creates the ghosts.

Not that I blame him or anything, I guess...but just curious, who'll be paying for his training for the next 5 months? Not the school I hope...
No he can borrow $, get a loan. Others can step up now that he's done. Someone can train him for "free" knowing his situation in the future. Most of these guys have camps they go to, sometimes on different sides of the country so they'll want to keep up relationships.

Anyone else getting a blank box when you reply? Can't see anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft