PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League approves new kickoff rule: FC inside 25 puts ball at 25

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Well... Let's hope BB can figure out a way to take advantage of this rule... Exploit some loop hole or something... Then the NFL will drop it like a hot potato

On the plus side, Nick folk can probably extend his career into his 50s if short kick offs are no big deal anymore

What's going to stop teams from squib kicking on every kickoff to force teams to field it? Dumb.
That was the same thought I had. If the other team gets it at the 25 if it goes out of the end zone or if they call a fair catch then the easy answer is to squib kick it. You’ll get it beyond the 25 in all likelihood and force the other team to field the ball. I can imagine this is also less safe since the ball bouncing around creates much more unpredictability than if the ball is sailing in the air free and clear.

What's going to stop teams from squib kicking on every kickoff to force teams to field it? Dumb.
The same thing that stops teams from squib kicking all the time right now: A squib kick does not reliably travel terribly far and they usually yield decent field position for the receiving team - especially when the receiving team is expecting it.

Eliminating the emphasis on special teams really sucks.

The NFL continues to move towards an NBA product. Less strategy and just focus on QBs running college style offenses going up and down the field on defenses who are limited via equally restricting rules.

Add that to making the regular season less important (Only one bye, eventually 18 games, 44% of league making playoffs) and an eventual European divison/Super Bowl....yikes

At least we got to got to enjoy the greatest dynasty in NFL history before it all went to complete ****.

Hate the rule.
But.....
With the new rule, I hope kicking teams squib kick every time so fans get to actually watch a return instead of the intended fair catch non-event this new rule was specifically designed to produce.

Might as well spin a wheel to determine ball placement. I'm sure Draft Kings has already lobbied for such a "safety" measure alternative.

Special teams becoming more irrelevant all the time. Just a matter of time before kickoffs are eliminated entirely and teams just start from the 25. Then they'll move onto some way of negating punt returns.

The ignorance behind this new rule is astounding.
If I'm the NFLPA, I'm demanding to see the league data stating that this will eliminate whatever injuries they're trying to.
If' they're going to do this, why not just say F**K kick offs altogether and put the ball on the 25 after a Extra Point or 2 pt conversion.

KO returns are some of the most exciting and transforming plays of the game.

Now, teams will just play it safe and take the 25 yard line.
They claim "safety" - has anyone ever seen a study that shows total KO injuries, total that were violations of already established rules, and total that were non-contact? What's left is the actual number of injuries these rules are targeting - and I bet it is a small number.

Hate the rule.
But.....
With the new rule, I hope kicking teams squib kick every time so fans get to actually watch a return instead of the intended fair catch non-event this new rule was specifically designed to produce.

Might as well spin a wheel to determine ball placement. I'm sure Draft Kings has already lobbied for such a "safety" measure alternative.
Screw it - onside kick every time!

Seriously, this would be awesome - and then we can watch BB call the onsides lineup with a hard squib to the empty part of the field (inside the 25, of course).

Screw it - onside kick every time!

Seriously, this would be awesome - and then we can watch BB call the onsides lineup with a hard squib to the empty part of the field (inside the 25, of course).
An every opponent would celebrate this silly idea.

They claim "safety" - has anyone ever seen a study that shows total KO injuries, total that were violations of already established rules, and total that were non-contact? What's left is the actual number of injuries these rules are targeting - and I bet it is a small number.
55 more yards and you're in the Redbone.

Look for Kickers to blow up this season.

I must be misunderstanding something in terms of how a rule about fair catches inside the 25 turns into onside kicks.

How? Why? You don't fair catch a squib or an onside kick. What is the strategery I am missing here that make it a better idea to squib kick because of a fair catch rule? It just means you can get a free return to the 25 if you want one. If you don't fair catch, you can run it back. If you do, free touchback + 5 yards. Squib it and you're at more like the 35-40.

sidenote: Sean Payton I dont think is gonna last long in Denver. Not 1 game and his owner took Goodell's side over his.

Last edited:
goodell-as-mcmahon.gif

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back