PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LA Chargers @ NE Patriots divisional game rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I could find it in here but I guess I need to ask.

Sometime late in the game, LA was forced to punt. A flag was thrown for roughing the kicker but LA declined it? Others in my party were confused as well.

Was this fact, and if so, why did they not take the 15 and 1st down?

Thought I could find it in here but I guess I need to ask.

Sometime late in the game, LA was forced to punt. A flag was thrown for roughing the kicker but LA declined it? Others in my party were confused as well.

Was this fact, and if so, why did they not take the 15 and 1st down?
It was running into the kicker (not roughing), so it would have been a five yard penalty and replay fourth down. Generally, hitting the kicking leg is running into and hitting the plant leg is roughing. This was the former.

It was running into the kicker (not roughing), so it would have been a five yard penalty and replay fourth down. Generally, hitting the kicking leg is running into and hitting the plant leg is roughing. This was the former.
Thanks for clearing that up. I get it now. Five yards wasn't enough for the first down and they were obviously happy with the result of the punt.

Again, thanks.

I got another. Why did BB challenge the fumble that LA recovered?

I got another. Why did BB challenge the fumble that LA recovered?

It sounded to me (but I haven't been able to verify in rewatch; all the clips I've seen haven't included sound) that the whistle blew when our DB had the ball, but then it was ripped away by their player. Perhaps BB was betting on fumble + clear recovery prior to the whistle = NE ball, but it didn't work out that way.

Thanks....

It sounded to me (but I haven't been able to verify in rewatch; all the clips I've seen haven't included sound) that the whistle blew when our DB had the ball, but then it was ripped away by their player. Perhaps BB was betting on fumble + clear recovery prior to the whistle = NE ball, but it didn't work out that way.
I think that’s what Belichick thought, but when I saw the replay I really don’t see that the Pats DB ever had ball at any point.

I think that’s what Belichick thought, but when I saw the replay I really don’t see that the Pats DB ever had ball at any point.

What I don't understand is how we lost a challenge there. On the field they called the player down by contact, the replay showed he fumbled the ball but there was no clear recovery. Fine. But the call on the field was still wrong.

Why exactly was the challenge lost then ?

Last edited:
What I don't understand is how we lost a challenge there. On the field they called the player down by contact, the replay showed he fumbled the ball but there was no clear recovery. Fine. But the call on the field was still wrong.

Why exactly was the challenge lost then ?
No change in outcome of play. Chargers ball, both before and after challenge. No change in spot. So challenge failed to change anything.

Btw I thought the challenge was a good idea even if unsuccessful. They needed to break the LA momentum. TO did that. Challenge gave a TO with chance to change outcome of play, so a TO with upside.

Blocking the best pass rushers in the game he has kept Brady exceptionally clean in his first year at the position. It will come down to economics, but he has value.
I would love to see him resigned. At a fair (not inflated) salary.

Here Tom's great game in one piece.
Bye fine tuning certainly paid off and if he plays as sharp as this it should be a fun AFCCG.
So sharp in reads, movement, timing, delivery all game but the last ball to Jules is among best plays in football this year..

Finally got around to watching the game. I felt like the offense left 11-22 points on the field in the 2nd half and I felt like the defense could have pitched a shutout. The opportunity was there to do it. Chargers o-lineman were terrible at picking up stunts. Just terrible. Awful performance.

The Trey flowers low hit personal foul should have been offsetting penalties since the O-lineman was holding flowers. Derek Rivers should have drawn a hold late in the game.

The holding on Gilmore, on the drive that gave Chargers their 2nd score, was a terrible call. But the Edelman hold might have been a bad call too, can't tell.

Gronk had one egregious hold that was missed on the 1st drive. I don't know wtf the refs are looking at. There was clear jersey stretching.

Bunch of opposing fans were *****ing about uncalled holds but I didn't see anything beyond that. In fact the chargers o-line were the ones doing most of the holding, missed a few calls.

Simon was really important pick up after Clayborn failed to grasp NE edge play.
All he does is good job. Clayborn outsnapped him this time but Id guess Simon will have an even bigger role vs Mahomes..

I don't know. I think that guard is incompetent. I think Michael "Hot Take" Lombardi is right about him. Great play by Simon, but I'll stay on the fence about his ability to set the edge or take on pulling lineman like that.

That Chargers o-line was terrible.

Could we potentially see this happening again on Sunday? I know he did it against Travis Kelce, wondering if this could be in the game plan for tyreek hill?

This was the play where Romo said his receivers didn't know the play. Looks like he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes