PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft: zero DV tolerance - no Mixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Tom Brady was being defamed by his business partners, Kraft goes with the flow.

When it's an RB draft prospect that they probably had no real interest in has a history of violence, he gets on a moral high horse?

By that standard, why did they sign Blount who punched a fan in college?

Sounds like virtue signalling to me.

Albert Haynesworth would agree.

When Tom Brady was being defamed by his business partners, Kraft goes with the flow.

When it's an RB draft prospect that they probably had no real interest in has a history of violence, he gets on a moral high horse?

he actually declined to comment specifically on mixon, but just was commenting in general about his domestic violence policy:

Patriots will steer clear of controversial Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon

Kraft declined to speak specifically about Mixon this week when approached about the subject, but he did note his stance against domestic violence abusers that can be traced back to Christian Peter in 1996.

“While I believe in second chances and giving players an opportunity for redemption, I also believe that playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right,” Kraft told the Herald. “For me, personally, I believe that privilege is lost for men who have a history of abusing women.”

My Eagle fan friends are defending mixon

Personally I think its stupid of Kraft to openly say that Mixon is off the draft board. What if during the draft someone who wants him is looking to trade for the Pat's pick? Never show your cards before you are called! You can tell BB he is off the board, but nobody else.

I imagine he thinks that the good PR is worth tipping our hand, somewhat.

And even so whenever he's likely to be picked if we're around the teams after us might have some desire for him so we could still find ourselves trading partners with whoever wants him.

I love it and I think it's important to take stances like this. It would be very difficult for me to root for a player that beats up women and glad that I won't have to.

This is what separates us from a ton of other teams. I'm proud that we have this policy which was born from Myra Kraft's morality. The Pats take a lot of unwarranted public criticism but this is always something that we can hold over the heads of other teams (along with our unprecedented success on the field).

It's a shame this will get no publicity nationally because it makes the Patriots look good, can't go against the narrative.

Not a fan, an opposing player. We will never know what he said to Blount immediately after the game but there were rumors that it was "that word" and if so, dude deserved to get lit up.......
Way different than punching a woman ....

Sports Radio Interviews » Blog Archive » LeGarrette Blount: Byron Hout Said Something “Way More Harsh And Disrespectful Than” ‘How About That Ass-whuppin?’

OK, Blount punched someone who provoked him. Mixon punched someone who provoked him. The moral principal here is that it's wrong to hit someone even if you were provoked.

The lack of consistency here screams virtual signalling.

I've been saying that Mixon was taken off the Pats Draft Board as soon as the arrest happened and it was supported by the video..

Pats have a long history of cutting players who get violent, in general.. Be it a woman or a family member..

Christian Peter, Kenyatta Jones, Tom Malone, David Andrews, etc..

When did David Andrews get cut and or get violent?

OK, Blount punched someone who provoked him. Mixon punched someone who provoked him. The moral principal here is that it's wrong to hit someone even if you were provoked.

One was a man punching a man, the other was a man punching a woman. There are gigantic differences and you don't have to be 'consistent' when comparing the two cases. Come on now, don't be that guy.

ETA: I agree it was wrong for Blount to hit the guy too, but it's not enough of an issue for me to not want him on the Patriots under any circumstances.

Not inconsistent at all. I'm suggesting that what was said to Blount ( if it was the N word) was a case of 'fighting words' designed to provoke a reaction, which it did.......
Even courts look at "fighting words" differently than other 1st Amendment free speech issues....

First off Blount punched a college football player right after a devastating loss. The guy ran up to Blount and tried to rub the loss in Blount's face (true sportsmanship) and got clocked in the face for his troubles. Blount was a Heisman hopeful and it was the first game of the year for a heavily favored Oregon team. Blount was suspended for the entire year, BUT still stayed in school and participated in every practice, and was eventually reinstated for the Bowl game.

Mixon followed a girl into a fast food restaurant and cold clocked her in the face. Breaking her cheek bone. Granted the 110 lbs 18 year old female was shoving him at the time, but still, you can't punch a woman. And once she was out cold what did Mixon do, call for help? see if she was OK? nope ran like a *****.

So you are comparing apples to Grapefruits there.

Personally I think its stupid of Kraft to openly say that Mixon is off the draft board. What if during the draft someone who wants him is looking to trade for the Pat's pick? Never show your cards before you are called! You can tell BB he is off the board, but nobody else.

Fan, player, some girl who spit in your face, the moral point is you don't go around hitting people even if they provoked you. Wasn't Mixon under the age of 18 when this happened? The Blount incident happened when he was an adult. Why does Blount get a pass and not this kid?

I'm not defending the action of either Blount or Mixon, I'm just pointing out an inconsistency that strikes me as hypocritical grandstanding.

Not inconsistent at all. I'm suggesting that what was said to Blount ( if it was the N word) was a case of 'fighting words' designed to provoke a reaction, which it did.......
Even courts look at "fighting words" differently than other 1st Amendment free speech issues....

The law also treats kids differently than adults. Quick research shows Mixon was under 18 when he did this. Blount was an adult.

If you want to take Mixon off the board based on a moral objection, fine. However, if it's really based on a moral objection against violence, the hypocrisy is off the charts. We're talking about a sport where 22 guys are on the field giving each other repetitive blows to the head.

Whilst I agree with your overall point, you're getting a thumbs down for using the most stupid ****ing phrase in existence.

From wikipedia:

"According to Molitor, Mixon and some of his teammates were harassing Molitor and her friend, claiming that the friend was gay. Mixon then followed Molitor and her friend into the shop. The surveillance video of the incident showed Mixon and Molitor having a verbal argument, which was followed by Molitor pushing Mixon, him lunging at her indicating to her to back off, her hitting him, and him hitting her back. His hit back caused her to fall and her face to slam into a table. Mixon later told police that Molitor's friend had directed a racial slur at him and that he responded with an homophobic slur at the friend"

So based on your own reasoning its seems Mixon was justified.

Also note that the surveillance video shows her hitting him first.

Seems like Mixon is more justified in his actions than Blount.

The law also treats kids differently than adults. Quick research shows Mixon was under 18 when he did this. Blount was an adult.

If you want to take Mixon off the board based on a moral objection, fine. However, if it's really based on a moral objection against violence, the hypocrisy is off the charts. We're talking about a sport where 22 guys are on the field giving each other repetitive blows to the head.

From wiki

The incident happened on July 25, 2014
Date of birth July 24, 1996

So he was barely 18.

in case anyone hasn't seen the video. whole thing took 15 seconds:

Whilst I agree with your overall point, you're getting a thumbs down for using the most stupid ****ing phrase in existence.

Ever heard of Roger Goodell? He's mastered the art of virtue signaling and turned it into a $30-40M/year job.

He's not a piece of sh*t defaming an innocent guy with the motive of making money for a bunch of bigger pieces of sh*t. He's simply "protecting the integrity of the game."

From wiki

The incident happened on July 25, 2014
Date of birth July 24, 1996

So he was barely 18.

Wouldn't July 25, 2014 be his 18th birthday so you mean barely under 18?

The point is kids do dumb things and have trouble controlling their temper when provoked. If he was one of those little monsters who go around punching random people on the street for fun, I'd agree he's irredeemable and should never be considered for the NFL. This just looks like dumb kids doing dumb kid stuff. I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve a second chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe