PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft wanted to serve bologna sandwiches and chips

It would've been interesting in the multiverse how the Pats would've done had Parcells not fought over Glenn, he remained HC and they weren't hit with injuries in the late 90's.

They may have gotten past the Broncos in by 1998, but I think 1999 would've been their year getting back to the Super Bowl.
You'd have to figure that they don't take Brady in 2000 if Parcells is here. I also think that if Parcells had given them half a chance with coaching instead of playing fukfuk games with the Jete, they would have beaten the Packers. None of The Dynasty stuff happens. They win 1-2 SBs at best before Drew gets exposed as the game sped up in the early 2000s.

But I agree, it'd be cool to play Dr Strange and see what would happen if certain things didn't happen the way they did. It all worked out in the end.
Benedict Cumberbatch Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

The Sullivans were far worse than anything that has been accused of for Robert Kraft for being cheap. The old Sullivan/Foxboro stadium was an absolute dump. And it was pretty much a dump from day one. Stories about the player facilities made it sound like they had to shower and change in prison facilities. And the type you would see in a bad prison movie. And the public part wasn't much better with troughs for urinals and benches that seemed to fit about five people less than had seats in each row.
It was a dump. A ****ty, supersized POS high school stadium.

The Sullivans were far worse than anything that has been accused of for Robert Kraft for being cheap. The old Sullivan/Foxboro stadium was an absolute dump. And it was pretty much a dump from day one. Stories about the player facilities made it sound like they had to shower and change in prison facilities. And the type you would see in a bad prison movie. And the public part wasn't much better with troughs for urinals and benches that seemed to fit about five people less than had seats in each row.
Absolutely I remember as a kid in the 80s my uncle worked for bank Boston and would get free patriots tickets occasionally. I froze on those metal bench seats! Terrible experience. Yes like the old fenway park facilities wich isn't all the great themselves.. the Sullivan's yeah they didn't give a dam about the facilities they wanted the revenue.

It would be great if the Kraft's would want to take pride in having the very best practice and training facilities, and the very best support facilities of all kinds.

There are four separate sets of reasons for player to choose the patriots over other team, presuming the compensation is nearly equal.

REASON ONE
The team is a top team with a continuing record of success. That was us until recently.

REASON TWO
The team is an up-and-coming team with a commitment to being more and more competitive.

REASON THREE
The coaching staff, management and support staff are better than others, making this a great place to want to work, and a place to become a better football player.

REASON FOUR
The team has a great support facilities and policies. The facilities could be among the best in the NFL. The family might find the team environment and the area support and treatment the best, making a player wanting to come here and work in the best facilities and his family want to come to the best environment.
============
BOTTOM LINE
Some folks think that all that matters is the amount of guaranteed after-tax money a player makes in this contract. That is simply not true.

I've been saying for years that Kraft is a super cheapskate and Brady allowed these guys to get away with murder for 20 years. Bottom of the league real spending for the entire dynasty era. No more Bill B to blame for this horrendous roster. Bill did his masters' bidding with this trash roster, never ever ever paying for offensive skill positions. Bill was given his budget and picked accordingly. Of course the egotistical miser payed himself 20+ mill and skimped on OL and WRs. Sullivan was on another level of "frugality", similar to the all time cheap miser Yawkeys. I am a super cheap prick New Englander myself and I can identify these people in a split second. Moving forward should be interesting now that they've been outed. But I expect a zebra to never change their stripes so this cheapness should continue unabated. Lotsa luck.

Interesting. I guess for me it is about use of available resources, more than the end product. I got the sense that owning andNFL franchise was just a bit much for the Sullivans, kind of like the family that's always behind on the monthly bills but buys a really nice car to compensate, and then when it breaks down, it sits in the driveway for months. Kraft, on the other hand, has financial resources well beyond that and the team is a cash machine so I'm far less tolerant.

Interesting. I guess for me it is about use of available resources, more than the end product. I got the sense that owning andNFL franchise was just a bit much for the Sullivans, kind of like the family that's always behind on the monthly bills but buys a really nice car to compensate, and then when it breaks down, it sits in the driveway for months. Kraft, on the other hand, has financial resources well beyond that and the team is a cash machine so I'm far less tolerant.

It was clearly not as lucrative to own an NFL team in the 70s and the 80s and the Sullivans were horrible at money and business. But Chuck Sullivan was using his family's money on risky and/or expensive business ventures like the Jackson tour rather than investing in the team.

But I am not excusing Kraft for not spending money on things. I am just pointing out how bad it was during the Sullivan era. Even if the Sullivans were making money hand over fist during that time and the Patriots facilities and stadium were still a dump like it was still has no bearing on how Kraft spends on the team's facilities.

Kraft is in the top 5 richest owners in the league. So he should be spending on things. FWIW, Fred Kursh did hint at the Patriots may be making a major investment in the player facilities in the near future. Sounds like plans are in place and just waiting for an announcement.

owning andNFL franchise was just a bit much for the Sullivans, kind of like the family that's always behind on the monthly bills but buys a really nice car to compensate
This looks an appropriate point of view

Kraft is in the top 5 richest owners in the league. So he should be spending on things. FWIW, Fred Kursh did hint at the Patriots may be making a major investment in the player facilities in the near future. Sounds like plans are in place and just waiting for an announcement.

IIRC they made it clear several years ago that the schedule involved replacing a lot of that in the second half of this decade. Hopefully sooner than later. Perhaps the NFLPA report will provide a little extra push there.

IIRC they made it clear several years ago that the schedule involved replacing a lot of that in the second half of this decade. Hopefully sooner than later. Perhaps the NFLPA report will provide a little extra push there.
They regularly update Foxboro residents on things going on around the stadium. And they have zero plans on building a new stadium anytime soon so all these little things they are doing are absolutely necessary just to keep it functional and somewhat similar to things other stadiums have. I tend to pay more attention to the stuff that impacts the fan experience than that weight rooms but I'm sure it's on their list of things to do.

Because the desirability of a franchise impacts player retention and acquisition.
I did not like Carroll as a HC. DC/ great defensive mind, yes. But not HC.

That being said, people forget that the team was decimated with injuries during his tenure here and in retrospect, considering his time in Seattle, he was better than I thought he was.

And there is another thing- how do I trust to tell the truth more- Kraft or Carroll? Answer: Carroll.

All of a sudden there is a lot of smoke surrounding the type of person that Bob Kraft (really) is, and where there is smoke…

There are millionaires in my village who also got a great start with daddy’s help and locals praise their business acumen. When in fact, if they were dropped in a city, without the backing, they’d not be rich.

People on this site grossly overestimate RK’s skills.
I didn't know RK's fortunes were handed down by his father, who was a dress manufacturer and not rich, while Kraft was in the paper and packaging field. Kraft is a self made man, so your take is total BS.

Cornering the market by buying the stadium and the land around it for cheap was masterful. That's what got it all started. Give Kraft the kudos he deserves. He's made mistakes and is far from perfect but this smearing of the Krafts as cheap due to their Jewish roots is in bad taste.

I may have been one of those people but my appreciation for him was more about the things that affected me at games, like cleaning up the bs at the stadium and keeping the team here. I always knew that he inherited the box company from Myra's father.

Kraft didn't inherit anything. Myra's father was 68 in 1968 and 71 in 1972. He died at 92.

In 1968, Mr. Kraft bought a 50 percent interest in the company from Mr. Hiatt and the rest of the company in 1972. “After successful growth of the company, Kraft founded a new company, International Forest Products LLC. He combined the two companies to become the largest privately held paper and packaging company in the United States,”

Additionally, Kraft invested in the New England Television Corp., where he became a director of the board. He sold his shares in 1991 for an estimated $25 million.

I didn't know RK's fortunes were handed down by his father, who was a dress manufacturer and not rich, while Kraft was in the paper and packaging field. Kraft is a self made man, so your take is total BS.

Cornering the market by buying the stadium and the land around it for cheap was masterful. That's what got it all started. Give Kraft the kudos he deserves. He's made mistakes and is far from perfect but this smearing of the Krafts as cheap due to their Jewish roots is in bad taste.
you are the first and only person in this thread to connect kraft's religion to a common slur about it either latetly or patently.

I've been saying for years that Kraft is a super cheapskate and Brady allowed these guys to get away with murder for 20 years. Bottom of the league real spending for the entire dynasty era. No more Bill B to blame for this horrendous roster. Bill did his masters' bidding with this trash roster, never ever ever paying for offensive skill positions. Bill was given his budget and picked accordingly. Of course the egotistical miser payed himself 20+ mill and skimped on OL and WRs. Sullivan was on another level of "frugality", similar to the all time cheap miser Yawkeys. I am a super cheap prick New Englander myself and I can identify these people in a split second. Moving forward should be interesting now that they've been outed. But I expect a zebra to never change their stripes so this cheapness should continue unabated. Lotsa luck.
Yawkey was a racist but not a cheap prick, he coddled his players and paid them well. For all his faults paying players was not one.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back