PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft on If Brady will be back next year: "You gotta ask him. I sure hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with both 1 & 3. Allen & Darnold are excellent young QBs. Both have high ceilings. Will they be as good as two Hall of Fame legends ? How many 1st round QB picks in the last 20 years are in the Hall of Fame discussions. BUT, they both are trending towards being franchise QBs. Those teams are trying to build around THOSE guys.

There’s no reason why the Pats can’t do the same thing. Especially with the greatest coach of all time. I’d prefer to have Brady back. But age is catching up with him.
High ceilings and trendings aren't fulfillments. I get it that you have to sart there but that's a long long way from having found a hall of fame replacement. Sure the Pats may find a high ceiling guy but finding a generational talent is extremely rare

High ceilings and trendings aren't fulfillments. I get it that you have to sart there but that's a long long way from having found a hall of fame replacement. Sure the Pats may find a high ceiling guy but finding a generational talent is extremely rare

Their ceilings are not high at all. This dude is eating paint chips.

This is based on the fact that Darnold has a passer rating of 81.1, throws a ton of INTs, and isn’t good, though it’s the Jets and no one is good there.

And

Allen has a passer rating of 78.2, a completion percentage that is generously 56%, and isn’t good. Allen is even worse than his numbers, due to an offense with training wheels. Sure, all they need to do is field an elite defense every year and he’ll pan out as game manager who will never get them anywhere...that won’t get old fast with the fanbase.

PFF ranks Josh Allen in bottom third of quarterbacks in 2019

The deep ball was an issue for Allen, though, and he had the highest percentage of uncatchable passes on 20-plus yard throws. And even though he cut down on his interceptions, Allen was still among the league’s worst in turnover-worthy play rate, in large part due to fumbles.

All of the stats say these two aren’t good. The burden is on you to prove otherwise.
I don’t have a burden to prove an opinion. Stats aren’t the be all end all. Situations play a lot into what the stats wind up being. My own personal thought process is how you improve from your rookie season to season two, and I saw that improvement from both QBs. No guarantees they improve even more, but I haven’t seen any indication they won’t (or can’t)

I think about all the QBs in the NFL, and there’s MAYBE, 10-12 I would take over these guys.

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Jackson
Wilson
Watson
Goff
Brees
Cousins

That’s the starters I would take over them. In a league of 32 starters, those are the only ones I’d take over them. Your opinion may differ, you may find 5-6 others to your liking, but that would still put them ahead of 16 other starters.

What I said is they are good young QBs, if you are in the top half of the starters at a young age, it means you are a good young QB. Remember Brady after his first 2 seasons, people were saying he was a good young QB, nobody was proclaiming him to be a hall of fame player, he was a good young QB. Not comparing them, just explaining the meaning of good young QBs.

I don’t have a burden to prove an opinion. Stats aren’t the be all end all. Situations play a lot into what the stats wind up being. My own personal thought process is how you improve from your rookie season to season two, and I saw that improvement from both QBs. No guarantees they improve even more, but I haven’t seen any indication they won’t (or can’t)

I think about all the QBs in the NFL, and there’s MAYBE, 10-12 I would take over these guys.

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Jackson
Wilson
Watson
Goff
Brees
Cousins

That’s the starters I would take over them. In a league of 32 starters, those are the only ones I’d take over them. Your opinion may differ, you may find 5-6 others to your liking, but that would still put them ahead of 16 other starters.

You wouldn’t take the following QBs over Josh Allen?

Jimmy Garoppolo
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan
Dak Prescott
Ben Roethlisberger
Ryan Tannehill
Phillip Rivers
Matt Stafford
Cam Newton

LoL

There are probably 2-3 starters in the NFL who I’d take Allen over.

You wouldn’t take the following QBs over Josh Allen?

Jimmy Garoppolo
Carson Wentz
Matt Ryan
Dak Prescott
Ben Roethlisberger
Ryan Tannehill
Phillip Rivers
Matt Stafford
Cam Newton

LoL

There are probably 2-3 starters in the NFL who I’d take Allen over.
Like I said, there may be 5 or 6 more. I would add Wentz and Jimmy G to my list. But that makes 11. MAYBE Prescott, so 12. But I feel Rapelisburger, Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Newton (lost his job) are on the downswing. Tannehill is pure garbage, he was the WORST QB in the league with the Dolphins. But like I also said, SITUATIONS change the overall picture. Like where a QB plays, if he has a running game or good receiving options, a defense to make up for any mistakes made by the offense.

You have to look at the overall picture. It’s not just stats.

Like I said, there may be 5 or 6 more. I would add Wentz and Jimmy G to my list. But that makes 11. MAYBE Prescott, so 12. But I feel Rapelisburger, Ryan, Rivers, Stafford, Newton (lost his job) are on the downswing. Tannehill is pure garbage, he was the WORST QB in the league with the Dolphins. But like I also said, SITUATIONS change the overall picture. Like where a QB plays, if he has a running game or good receiving options, a defense to make up for any mistakes made by the offense.

You have to look at the overall picture. It’s not just stats.

Allen is WORSE watching than his stats indicate. He can throw designed passes to first reads. He can’t put the ball into a tight window downfield and is wildly inaccurate past 15 yards. His completion pct and overall numbers look better in the box score than they actually are. If that defense had been average, he might have already been benched for good. Guy is not an NFL starter and downfield accuracy is not correctable. Read all of his college scouting reports and they all had grave concerns about this. Basically he’s a guy whose athleticism will always tempt teams and then his inaccuracy will always let them down.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Good conversation. Back on topic.

Do you think Kraft could’ve worded his comment better ? Wasn’t totally pleased with it.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Good conversation. Back on topic.

Do you think Kraft could’ve worded his comment better ? Wasn’t totally pleased with it.
Brady wants to be shown respect love and appreciation.
It was worded terribly.
If Kraft really wants him back...for god sakes butter him up and beg a little

"Tom Brady means everything to this franchise. He will always be our greatest player ever and we will do everything to keep him"

The statement he issued is lukewarm. Kraft needs somebody to help him with his communication!

Last edited:
They have $6.75M in incentive to figure things out before FA starts.

Here are two contracts. Both pay Brady $30.5M for his 2020 services. Assume for this example, that there is a $40M option in 2021, so that this is essentially a 1-year contract. The point is that, while it's easier to extend, the same result can be achieved after the season starts.

That being said, I expect a contract to signed in FEBor not at all.

EXTEND BEFORE FA STARTS
old money $6.75M
salary $12.25M
bonus $ 6.0M ($18M over 3 years)
total 2020 $25M

CONTRACT SIGNED AFTER FA STARTS
old money $13.5M
salary $ 2.0M
bonus $ 9.5M (28.5M over 3 years)
total 2020 $25M

Last time a Patriots person said “You have to ask Tom” it didn’t work out so well for TB or us fans.

He can't have it both ways. We don't have the cap space to pay him $30M and spend on weapons.

I disagree. $30.5M of 2020 compensation might means a cap of $21m. If Brady goes, the old money goes up to $13.5M. I would expect that a replacement veteran (backup or starter) would might have a 2020 cap hit of $7.5M (and a total cap hit of $21M).

CONTRACT (CAP OF $21M)
old money $6.75M
bonus $8.0M ($24M over 3 years)
salary $6.25M
cap hit of $21M
============
CONCLUSION
Whether we can afford additions does NOT depend on whether we sign Brady.

Krafty getting in before Mahomes lands 40 Mil per.

Last time a Patriots person said “You have to ask Tom” it didn’t work out so well for TB or us fans.
They should ask Tom who to draft in regards to WRs and TE. No way that he can worse than who is calling the shots as of late. I am convinced that half of this board could nail a stud WR given the opportunity and I am totally serious.

The Pat's track record speaks for itself.

Mahomes
Brady
Rodgers
Jackson
Wilson
Watson
Goff
Brees
Cousins

Neither is top 12. The best argument I could make for them would be at about 17. And that's with some generous ranking.

I disagree. $30.5M of 2020 compensation might means a cap of $21m. If Brady goes, the old money goes up to $13.5M. I would expect that a replacement veteran (backup or starter) would might have a 2020 cap hit of $7.5M (and a total cap hit of $21M).

CONTRACT (CAP OF $21M)
old money $6.75M
bonus $8.0M ($24M over 3 years)
salary $6.25M
cap hit of $21M
============
CONCLUSION
Whether we can afford additions does NOT depend on whether we sign Brady.
I may be wrong but I am assuming he wants multiple years and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, at an average of $30M per year. 3 years, $90M split however you like with bonus and salary.
Then the numbers don't work. I hope you are right and I am wrong but I doubt $30M the first year and way less than that the second and third years is what Brady wants.

Brady on westwood one to jim gray when asked point blank if he has spoken to the patriots - "Yes I have.I wont lie .they have been part of my life for 20 yrs.I wont elaborate beyond that".
He didnt want to answer that question but gray wouldnt leave him. He never said he wants to come back etc like brees , was more like "They know what i feel about them, I know what they feel about me" types.

$30M a year offer tells me it's Kraft pushing this not Belichick.

Brady on westwood one to jim gray when asked point blank if he has spoken to the patriots - "Yes I have.I wont lie .they have been part of my life for 20 yrs.I wont elaborate beyond that".
He didnt want to answer that question but gray wouldnt leave him. He never said he wants to come back etc like brees , was more like "They know what i feel about them, I know what they feel about me" types.

Did the Patriots touch him in private places? Jesus, this sounds horrible.

I may be wrong but I am assuming he wants multiple years and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, at an average of $30M per year. 3 years, $90M split however you like with bonus and salary.
Then the numbers don't work. I hope you are right and I am wrong but I doubt $30M the first year and way less than that the second and third years is what Brady wants.[/QUOTE

The contract can be redone each year, with the result of a $20M cap this year, and more in 2021 and 2022. Obviously the dead money after Brady leaves depends on when he leaves. It currently sits at $13.5M if he doesn't re-sign.

$6.75M old money
$6.25M salary
$21M bonus over 3 years
2020 cap hit $20M, Brady gets $34M
===========
$6.75M old money
$7.00M 2020 bonus
$5M salary
$24M bonus over a new 3 year contract
2021 cap hit of $26.75M, Brady gets $29M (or $63M over 2 years)
======
After 2021, there is $7M left on the 2020 contract, and $14M left on the 2021 contract for a total of $21M of dead money. If Brady is really ready to play a 3rd year, another contract would be signed, pushing forward 2/3 of the money his 2022 contract bonus. Even then, the dead money would be under $25M, very doable when Brady is finally replaced by a draftee.

Brady wants to be shown respect love and appreciation.
It was worded terribly.
If Kraft really wants him back...for god sakes butter him up and beg a little

"Tom Brady means everything to this franchise. He will always be our greatest player ever and we will do everything to keep him"

The statement he issued is lukewarm. Kraft needs somebody to help him with his communication!

really ? I’m not buying 43 year old Brady needs the coach to fawn over him. If SO, maybe it’s time to move on. BB has earned the right to run the team his way. He’s always said Brady was the guy he wanted at QB and has praised him - reasonably - in the past.

I want parents to be parents. Not friends. I want my NFL coach to be a coach. Not a fan.

Of the 191827 reports out there “Brady needing pampering” to return us the one I am not buying. He’s Tom F-ING Brady. People have been fawning over him for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes