PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

It wouldn't surprise me. Caserio wanted out of his contract a year ago. He would have gotten what he wanted if Kraft didn't pick up the phone and call McNair. Caserio had next to no choice but put up a good face for a year while burning deep inside. I don't think Nick is considering ever coming back to NE.

Ineed, and the Harry pick is totally consistent with what BB values in WRs and not consistent with what the draft industrial complex values so the butt hurt is red hot.

That's certainly possible. Although with the Cannon trade, it seems the relationship is there or at least before this story.

Since there are only 31 other teams to deal with and groups of 10 are all joined at the hip together, it's hard to see throwing another club member under the bus.

Kinda sad that some people are so desperate for a narrative to stick that they are treating Florio's reporting of Breer's "interpretation" as gospel.

Even Florio says there are multiple ways to interpret the situation:

In short, the most likely source for Breer's piece is Caserio, who has every reason to suggest they would have done things differently, of course with the benefit of hindsight. Of course if Caserio felt so strongly he could have leaked the story the day after the draft, but nope, he waits till he's able to take potshots from the safety of the Houston bunker. Of course he now has a full view of what Easterby and McNair are capable of, so he better be careful about burning bridges.

Now, back to discussing the events of 2006...
I find it impossible to believe Nick threw BB under the bus. Sorry.

If you listened to him at all last year, I am not sure how you could come away with not noticing it. He absolutely refused to admit any short comings at all despite being the one who for the last 20 years said his program is not built on excuses. All he did was serve up excuses the entire season for the state of the roster to the putrid play of Cam. If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend we didn't see a complete 180 from the guy, then go ahead but it is you then with the credibility issue.
You clearly don’t know what an inferiority complex is, and Belichick’s responses to media are always calculated. “ we”re on to Cincinnati....we’re on to Cincinnati.......” Belichick never throws his team or players under the bus, that’s a strong leader, not a weak one.

It wouldn't surprise me. Caserio wanted out of his contract a year ago. He would have gotten what he wanted if Kraft didn't pick up the phone and call McNair. Caserio had next to no choice but put up a good face for a year while burning deep inside. I don't think Nick is considering ever coming back to NE.

Ineed, and the Harry pick is totally consistent with what BB values in WRs and not consistent with what the draft industrial complex values so the butt hurt is red hot.
Disagree on Harry, Belichick’s top criteria for a WR is getting separation quickly and Harry sucks at that. I honestly think they should make him an H-Back, he’s great once the ball is in hands, and he’s a b.tch. to get down.

I agree, Caserio is smarter than that.
It's just nonsensical. Sure, BB/Kraft held on to Caserio for another year but he also gave him a FAT pay increase in the low 7 figures for his trouble. It wasn't like he kept him in a dungeon for a year and fed him bread and water.

It's Easterbunny who is the unscrupulous asshat

It's just nonsensical. Sure, BB/Kraft held on to Caserio for another year but he also gave him a FAT pay increase in the low 7 figures for his trouble. It wasn't like he kept him in a dungeon for a year and fed him bread and water.

Agree completely. Caserio spent over 15 years with the Patriots and got all the education needed to get himself a GM job, he’s not backstabbing the guy who gave him that opportunity.

When did Easterby leave? Was it after the Harry pick? He could be the mole in this case, which would jive with his general mission to undermine anyone with more authority than him in an organization.

When did Easterby leave? Was it after the Harry pick? He could be the mole in this case, which would jive with his general mission to undermine anyone with more authority than him in an organization.
I want to say he left after the 2018 season but someone check me on that.

I want to say he left after the 2018 season but someone check me on that.
That sounds about right.

Someone here needs to explain to me just what intelligence & character issues, exactly, did AJ Brown have that would've precluded Bill from drafting him ahead of Kneal Harry, a clearly inferior prospect...
There weren’t any. BB took poor advice from a friend of his in his little coaching fraternity (he and Harry’s former college coach share the same attorney).

Someone here needs to explain to me just what intelligence & character issues, exactly, did AJ Brown have that would've precluded Bill from drafting him ahead of Kneal Harry, a clearly inferior prospect...

Harry over AJ Brown is probably my least favorite draft move BB has made as GM. An SEC WR with great production, versatility to play all across the formation & arguably the most physical WR in the draft. On top of it all he wanted to be a pat and tweeted a celebration when they beat the Chiefs.

He was the #1 player on my pats board. He was better than Harry in almost every trait you want in a pats WR. I wouldn’t be surprised if that specific move is the one that is leading to more draft collaboration by Kraft.

Disagree on Harry, Belichick’s top criteria for a WR is getting separation quickly and Harry sucks at that. I honestly think they should make him an H-Back, he’s great once the ball is in hands, and he’s a b.tch. to get down.

Nope. Harry is not great after the catch. How many times have they force fed him on a reverse or quick pass and he did anything? He falls down like Michel. NKeal Harry is flat out terrible. Only a 55% catch rate and can't break 9 yards a catch. He's a waste on the field. With the new signings there is zero role for him. He should never play again with Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Henry, Smith here now.

Nope. Harry is not great after the catch. How many times have they force fed him on a reverse or quick pass and he did anything? He falls down like Michel. NKeal Harry is flat out terrible. Only a 55% catch rate and can't break 9 yards a catch. He's a waste on the field. With the new signings there is zero role for him. He should never play again with Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Henry, Smith here now.

His issue is getting away from defenders. If you looked at his college highlights, he made some silly great catches, but it was always with a defender right there. He was dead last in separation his rookie year in the league with receivers with more than 50 plays. It actually got a bit better in 2020, but was silly in the 100's.

Simms on the times he saw Caserio/scouts in disagreement with Bill and left the draft room shaking their heads. It was during the 2012 and 2013 drafts where they thought Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins were both over drafted. I'm surprised with Jones as he was always in the conversation as a mid to late first rounder. I didn't know much about Jamie Collins and did seem more like one of those "came out nowhere" pick. But I'm surprised he didn't bring up the board's favorite Aaron Dobson.

Last edited:
Been saying it for years.... BB is the GOAT of coaches, but mediocre at best as a GM.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back