PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

Damn, if only the Patriots could find the GM who drafted Brady and negotiated those deals with him? That’s the guy who should be getting all the credit, not Belichick, he just does whatever MacDaniels tells him that do.
Please. Bill did not negotiate those deals, Kraft did. And it was Brady's choice because he valued winning over money.

Did any of them have the GOAT QB on below market contracts for 20 years?
What a great point, as I said in my last post we really need to find out who drafted. Brady and then negotiated those deals with him? He’s the real genius. Belichick is just stealing his glory. You are really good at this!

What a great point, as I said in my last post we really need to find out who drafted. Brady and then negotiated those deals with him? He’s the real genius. Belichick is just stealing his glory. You are really good at this!
As I said above, Bill did not negotiate those deals, Kraft did. And it was Brady's choice because he valued winning over money.

I would not call Belichick mediocre as a GM. That was a different poster. I do think he is overrated as a GM though and those other GMs would have had similar success if they had Brady.

It's tough to say Bill "found" Brady when he was taken in the 6th round. He does deserve credit for developing him though but the below market contracts are what is key IMO. To have the GOAT for 20 years not taking every last dime like Favre, Manning and Brees did and pretty much any other great QB is what gave Bill such a HUGE advantage as GM.
My apologies, I misread since you replied on behalf of the other poster. Thanks for the discourse all the same. :thumbsup:

Please. Bill did not negotiate those deals, Kraft did. And it was Brady's choice because he valued winning over money.
Wow, that explains why Amendola is so pissed at Kraft for constantly making him renegotiate. You must have incredible inside sources to be able that see past the ruse that Belichick is the GM!

I would not call Belichick mediocre as a GM. That was a different poster. I do think he is overrated as a GM though and those other GMs would have had similar success if they had Brady.

It's tough to say Bill "found" Brady when he was taken in the 6th round. He does deserve credit for developing him though but the below market contracts are what is key IMO. To have the GOAT for 20 years not taking every last dime like Favre, Manning and Brees did and pretty much any other great QB is what gave Bill such a HUGE advantage as GM.
So true, it’s a shame that those amazing GM’s got taken to the cleaners by their crappy QB’s. None of them cared about winning, only the paycheck.

My apologies, I misread since you replied on behalf of the other poster. Thanks for the discourse all the same. :thumbsup:
Sure. It is fun to debate. Hypotheticals are always tricky but fun to think about.

So true, it’s a shame that those amazing GM’s got taken to the cleaners by their crappy QB’s. None of them cared about winning, only the paycheck.
Brady is the aberration of great QBs not taking every last dime. And when I say "great" I just mean guys that win in the regular season and get paid. Brady is the GOAT and never took every last dime precisely so Bill could put a team around him to win. No other GM in history had that luxury. That is unique to Brady and why he is the GOAT and why he has 7 rings.

As I said above, Bill did not negotiate those deals, Kraft did. And it was Brady's choice because he valued winning over money.
Are you Jonathan Kraft? Your deep insight into how the Patriots are really run is so incredible! Belichick has been hoodwinking everyone for 20 years. You should write a book about how they are actually run.

Are you Jonathan Kraft? Your deep insight into how the Patriots are really run is so incredible! Belichick has been hoodwinking everyone for 20 years. You should write a book about how they are actually run.
Maybe you should read every now and then ...

Brady is the aberration of great QBs not taking every last dime. And when I say "great" I just mean guys that win in the regular season and get paid. Brady is the GOAT and never took every last dime precisely so Bill could put a team around him to win. No other GM in history had that luxury. That is unique to Brady and why he is the GOAT and why he has 7 rings.
To be really straightforward, you are completely full of sh.t. You give Brady credit for his sccomplishments, which he fully deserves, while denying Belichick the same credit, even though he, and not Brady, was the person who built all those championship teams around him. You have an agenda, period, and it’s one that is so biased as to be as dishonest as it gets. As I said the other day, anyone who gives either Brady or Belichick credit for their successes, but not both is completely ignorant, and you just passed that test with flying colors.

Maybe you should read every now and then ...
I read just fine, but I’m able to discern fact from fiction, and what you are pedaling is purée fiction. You give Brady full credit while making excuse after excuse for denying Belichick the credit he deserves. Belichick built the teams that won 9 Conference Championships and 6 Lombardi’s, no other GM comes anywhere near that. Brady QB’ed those teams and he deserves credit for his role in those championships.

Sure. It is fun to debate. Hypotheticals are always tricky but fun to think about.
Give me a GM that has:

- Wolf’s ability to find quarterbacks
- Colbert’s ability to find wide receivers
- Ozzie Newsome’s ability to find defensive players
- Belichick’s ability to do everything else

And that’s a GM that’s never having a losing season

Give me a GM that has:

- Wolf’s ability to find quarterbacks
- Colbert’s ability to find wide receivers
- Ozzie Newsome’s ability to find defensive players
- Belichick’s ability to do everything else

And that’s a GM that’s never having a losing season

That GM might never lose a GAME. But, in reality, none of those GM's would have been able to take all the players they did, while at the same time taking all the players the other GM's did in their areas of strength. It's fun to think about, but this mystical GM would still only have 7 natural draft picks each year, and would still have to operate within the cap structure.

As I said above, Bill did not negotiate those deals, Kraft did. And it was Brady's choice because he valued winning over
I don't get that he is expecting a huge turn around. I am not sure how he could think that with Cam as our QB and a rookie QB that will be drafted. I think he is expecting for us not to look like a clown show like we did last year. I think he expects the FAs he just spent all of his money on to perform. In short, I think Bill is on an extremely short leash. He HAS to hit on this draft and coach up these FAs. If the team resembles in any way shape or form to how it did last year, Bill may be gone. Kraft was not messing around with his comments to King and now Lazar. He is livid and has been it seems for quite awhile. I would imagine reality hit him right between the eyes when Brady told him last year he was not coming back.
Why would it “ hit Kraft right in the eyes” when Brady told him he wasn’t coming back when Kraft was the one who did Brady’s contracts? He would have been the first to know if that were actually the case.

Cripes. Who cares about the defense at this point? Fix the offense. Fix the QB. It is an offense driven league.
Tampa Bay beat K.C. Because of their defense, not their offense.

So according to amfootball it was Bob Kraft who never offered Brady a contract, not Belichick. So Belichick isn’t on the “ hot seat” because letting Brady walk was Kraft’s decision, not Belichick’s.

Which also means Tom valued and trusted the coach/GM to construct a team that would be competitive year after year.

The front office people didn’t leave because Belichick didn’t give them enough love, they left because other franchises came calling with serious promotions for them, that’s what happens to great franchises. And it’s really hard to “ crush the draft” when everybody else gets the top players and you pick either last or close to it in Every round of every draft.
The idea that drafting later is so much of a disadvantage is a myth. I can illustrate this with numbers using the 10th pick and the 30th. Here are their two drafts;
10-42-74-106-138-170-202
30-62-94-126-158-190-222

Now let's give the higher team the 10th pick and see what happens;
30-42-62-74-94-106-126-138-158-170-190-202-222

The higher team now has the 10th pick but will pick 12 picks after the later pick in each round and get one less player at the end, minimizing the ONE player advantage.

That GM might never lose a GAME. But, in reality, none of those GM's would have been able to take all the players they did, while at the same time taking all the players the other GM's did in their areas of strength. It's fun to think about, but this mystical GM would still only have 7 natural draft picks each year, and would still have to operate within the cap structure.
That’s true, and they wouldn’t be able to retain all the great talents they bring in due to the nature of the salary cap. But on the flip side, it wouldn’t matter as long as the mythical GM continued drafting replacements at an efficient clip. Wolf traded a 1st to the Falcons for Favre, and then the rest of the QB’s he found he didn’t have to invest in anything higher than a 4th to get. Colbert has ensured that the Steelers have two quality homegrown starters at WR every season, Newsome drafted a future Pro Bowler almost every year, etc. It’s almost like college sports where they’re always able to recruit studs so they don’t miss a beat despite the high turnover rate.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back