PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft acknowledges drafting woes, says approach is changing

06 had a decent running game and a better D which gave the O more opportunities.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say the 06 offense would have benefited tremendously from Deion.

Of course, it would have benefitted but that's not a "huge step back". Likewise, unless we go 15-1, San Diego is 1 seed and beating them in SD is easier their week 1 vs week 2. Besides, we always fear Baltimore (remember?) in the playoffs so how is that an absolute win?

The whole Branch thing by that guy only serves one purpose. He's mad Brady is gone, blames Belichick and wants him gone ( just like pull me Bob) so to justify that desire, straw man arguments like Branch are manufactured.

Buddy, you might study the game.

Football is won by how many points you score in a game and that has to be higher than your opponent. More points scored infers more wins.

The "huge step back but scoring more points" concept isn't Mensa material.

Nobody, ever won higher passer rating to passer rating on the scoreboard.

You're just pulling that stat out of your you know what to convince yourself of who knows what.

Here is the good news. You and Kraft want Belichick gone because of your resentment of your boi leaving. Just own it and quit wasting everyone's time with your posting.

giphy.gif

Bob Sanders made all the difference on that team once he was healthy.
I dug this up from research years ago.

When Bob Sanders played (reg and playoffs) the Colts allowed 16.8ppg. Played in 50.

When he didn't (reg and playoffs) they allowed 19ppg. Missed 64.

One player was worth 2.2 points.

That's insane.

the colts had already beaten them in foxboro that year......as did the jets and broncos......just sayin'
Keep Branch and Brady probably doesn't throw 3 INTs in Colts territory in a 7 point loss.

Comical seeing the arguments that an offense with guys like Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel is not a massive downgrade compared to Branch.

Keep Branch and Brady probably doesn't throw 3 INTs in Colts territory in a 7 point loss.

Comical seeing the arguments that an offense with guys like Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel are not a massive downgrade compared to Branch.

not the point, but I can tell you that if they keep Branch, Moss/Welker never happens

not the point, but I can tell you that if they keep Branch, Moss/Welker never happens
That would have been interesting. I'm sure not both but one of them...sure why not? Wonder what that would have looked like.

That would have been interesting. I'm sure not both but one of them...sure why not? Wonder what that would have looked like.

Feels like they were enamored with Welker for at least a year prior to 07, so I'm guessing they make that deal either way. He and Branch played different roles too, so they would have been fine together. Moss who knows... it wasn't a huge investment, so I could see them still doing that move. What might have changed is they wouldn't have signed Stallworth, and in hindsight, having Branch as the WR3 in the Super Bowl over Stallworth likely would have been better.

But this is an imperfect exercise, because you'd have to look at A) would they have been as motivated to look at Moss/Welker, etc if they still had Branch, and B) Branch was traded due to a contract dispute, so you'd have to look at what he made and figure other areas of the team would have been a little different.

When I invent a time machine I'll go fiddle with it and report back on what I find.

No question.

Branch received $13m in guarantees in 2006.

Moss and Welker received $8.5m in guarantees in 2007 COMBINED.

Saying Kraft should take player personnel away from Belichick is absolutely no different than firing him as his deal with Kraft gives him complete control over it, and he never would have agreed to it without it, nor would he continue with the Patriots without it. Belichick built the greatest dynasty in NFL history despite a hard cap, free agency, and draft structure built to make that impossible. And as many have argued that Brady has had multiple HOF careers within his career so has Belichick had multiple dynasty’s within one overall dynasty, The teams that won the first 3 Lombardi’s are different from the teams that won the last 3, and as we saw in 2019 it took more than a QB to win them. You and the rest of the haters are fantasy football GM’s who think you know more than Belichick, and you are the ultimate fair weather fans. Take away control over player personnel and Belichick’s office is cleaned out twenty minutes later, with absolutely no one to replace him and 2/3 of the teams in this league calling Belichick and trying to outbid each other for his services. In short it’s the most ignorant thing I have ever seen on this site, and that is truly saying something.

Superbly written and completely on point.

This might be the collision course where Belichick is fuming he had to trade away is heir apparent QB because of pull me Bob and Krafty is fuming his second son is now gone.

Also, our clown show here is fuming their boi is gone.......(and wait for it).....we don't have a QB replacement (because we had to trade him away).

the personnel train of thought would have gone in a completely different direction. they would not have had the cap resources for Moss, and Welker is too redundant with Branch....with the money spent on BRanch, they would not have committed those kinds of resources. It would have been a completely different outcome

Bill should have some input into the draft. But he's not a first ballot HOF lock for being a GM, only for his coaching. Arguably nobody better at it. Times change and so must the 6 time World Champ Patriots way of doing things.

So let Bill cook with the groceries not shop for them.
So a GM puts together teams that win 9 Conference Championships and 6 Lombardi’s isn’t Hall of Fame worthy? I guess that means only the GM’s with 10 or more Conference Championships and more than 6 Lombardi’s qualify. Canton must be packed with HOF GM’s.

And when you say that Brady was the reason be sure to list the HOF GM’s that got there with sh!tty QB’s.

Feels like they were enamored with Welker for at least a year prior to 07, so I'm guessing they make that deal either way. He and Branch played different roles too, so they would have been fine together. Moss who knows... it wasn't a huge investment, so I could see them still doing that move. What might have changed is they wouldn't have signed Stallworth, and in hindsight, having Branch as the WR3 in the Super Bowl over Stallworth likely would have been better.

But this is an imperfect exercise, because you'd have to look at A) would they have been as motivated to look at Moss/Welker, etc if they still had Branch, and B) Branch was traded due to a contract dispute, so you'd have to look at what he made and figure other areas of the team would have been a little different.

When I invent a time machine I'll go fiddle with it and report back on what I find.

they became enamored with welker because branch was gone

old news, but kind of sad we couldve had AJ brown or Deebo samuel. maybe Bill is listening to his scouts more this year and thats the change? trust the guys on the ground.

Drafting seems to be BB's blind spot. Fortunately, he seems to be self effacing enough to finally correct that.
When he does listen to someone, it seems to be the wrong ones.

The only thing that really bothers me is the talent drain the Pats have experienced in the scouting department because BB blew them off.

This organization does everything else so well, even down to the little things like food and equipment.
It is mind boggling why they don't crush the draft.

Last edited:
the personnel train of thought would have gone in a completely different direction. they would not have had the cap resources for Moss, and Welker is too redundant with Branch....with the money spent on BRanch, they would not have committed those kinds of resources. It would have been a completely different outcome

Besides, Bill actually received a decent return for the Twig...The problem was that the depth since 2004 had thinned considerably, beginning when David Patten left for the 'Skins...Givens left after '05...The unexpected Twig holdout...The predictable Bethel Johnson & PK Sam flops...And an earlier missed opportunity during the 2001 draft to pick up some help in the form of Justin McCareins, who had a decent career with the Titties & Jesters, instead of predictable flop, ND TE Jabari Holloway...

I still don't feel that not having the Twig was the main reason - or even one of the main reasons - why we lost the '06 AFCC anyway...Personnel-wise,
it starts with not having Rodney Harrison...

Last edited:
Besides, Bill actually received a decent return for the Twig...The problem was that the depth since 2004 had thinned considerably, beginning when David Patten left for the 'Skins...Givens left after '05...The unexpected Twig holdout...The predictable Bethel Johnson & PK Sam flops...And an earlier missed opportunity during the 2001 draft to pick up some help in the form of Justin McCareins, who had a decent career with the Titties & Jesters, instead of predictable flop, ND TE Jabari Holloway...

I still don't feel that not having the Twig was the main reason - or even one of the main reasons - why we lost the '06 AFCC anyway...Personnel-wise,
it starts with not having Rodney Harrison...
I guess I must not remember correctly or I am misunderstanding something, but it seems like BB is being blamed for Branch leaving. If I remember correctly, Branch signed a 5yr contract when he was drafted and still had a year left on his contract when he started having contract issues. He claimed that he would not hold out and they were working on a contract extension that would make him happy. Then Reggie Wayne who was a free agent signed a much larger contract than Branch and the Patriots were discussing so Branch did hold out. The Pats gave him an opportunity to find a new team that would pay him what he thought he was worth and the Pats agreed to trade him as long as they got what they considered "fair compensation". The Jets and the Seahawks who had agreed with Branch on numbers offered a number 2 and the Pats didn't consider that sufficient so Branch filed a complaint with the union. It eventually all worked out with the Pats getting a number 1 and the loss of their best receiver. If Branch had lived up to his word, then having to rely on the flotsam and jetsam that tried in 2006 would not have happened. I believe Branch actually stated upon his return that if he had stayed he might have been a Hall of famer and he regretted leaving the way he did. BB made the best of it that he could by getting a number one pick but that certainly didn't help on the field that year. The player they ended up with Big bang Clock was no great shakes either, but I don't see that BB had a much choice when his hand was forced. The Pats for the most part, especially that period of time, expected you to live up to the contract you already had in place. Any renegotiation included what you had for a contract and added an extension on top of that. Again, maybe I misremember this situation, but as Captain Stone stated "Bill received a decent return". Especially considering the situation.

Drafting seems to be BB's blind spot. Fortunately, he seems to be self effacing enough to finally correct that.
When he does listen to someone, it seems to be the wrong ones.

The only thing that really bothers me is the talent drain the Pats have experienced in the scouting department because BB blew them off.

This organization does everything else so well, even down to the little things like food and equipment.
It is mind boggling why they don't crush the draft.
The front office people didn’t leave because Belichick didn’t give them enough love, they left because other franchises came calling with serious promotions for them, that’s what happens to great franchises. And it’s really hard to “ crush the draft” when everybody else gets the top players and you pick either last or close to it in Every round of every draft.

I guess I must not remember correctly or I am misunderstanding something, but it seems like BB is being blamed for Branch leaving. If I remember correctly, Branch signed a 5yr contract when he was drafted and still had a year left on his contract when he started having contract issues. He claimed that he would not hold out and they were working on a contract extension that would make him happy. Then Reggie Wayne who was a free agent signed a much larger contract than Branch and the Patriots were discussing so Branch did hold out. The Pats gave him an opportunity to find a new team that would pay him what he thought he was worth and the Pats agreed to trade him as long as they got what they considered "fair compensation". The Jets and the Seahawks who had agreed with Branch on numbers offered a number 2 and the Pats didn't consider that sufficient so Branch filed a complaint with the union. It eventually all worked out with the Pats getting a number 1 and the loss of their best receiver. If Branch had lived up to his word, then having to rely on the flotsam and jetsam that tried in 2006 would not have happened. I believe Branch actually stated upon his return that if he had stayed he might have been a Hall of famer and he regretted leaving the way he did. BB made the best of it that he could by getting a number one pick but that certainly didn't help on the field that year. The player they ended up with Big bang Clock was no great shakes either, but I don't see that BB had a much choice when his hand was forced. The Pats for the most part, especially that period of time, expected you to live up to the contract you already had in place. Any renegotiation included what you had for a contract and added an extension on top of that. Again, maybe I misremember this situation, but as Captain Stone stated "Bill received a decent return". Especially considering the situation.
I do not blame Bill for Branch leaving, I blame Bill for not having a good replacement when he left. Its not about players leaving, its about anticipating players leaving and not going to the trash heap for a receiver.

I do not blame Bill for Branch leaving, I blame Bill for not having a good replacement when he left. Its not about players leaving, its about anticipating players leaving and not going to the trash heap for a receiver.
What a crazy year 2006 was. Lost David Givens in free agency to the Titans. Signed Reche Caldwell to replace him. Drafted Chad Jackson at 36th overall. Traded a 2007 5th round pick to the Raiders for Doug Gabriel a week before the season opener. The day after the season opener, traded Deion Branch to the Seahawks for their 2007 first round pick. Four games into the season, signed Jabar Gaffney off the street, barely used him during the regular season, and unleashed him in the playoffs as Brady’s most targeted receiver. As for Gabriel, he was cut in December and re-signed by the Raiders the very next day.

What a crazy year 2006 was. Lost David Givens in free agency to the Titans. Signed Reche Caldwell to replace him. Drafted Chad Jackson at 36th overall. Traded a 2007 5th round pick to the Raiders for Doug Gabriel a week before the season opener. The day after the season opener, traded Deion Branch to the Seahawks for their 2007 first round pick. Four games into the season, signed Jabar Gaffney off the street, barely used him during the regular season, and unleashed him in the playoffs as Brady’s most targeted receiver. As for Gabriel, he was cut in December and re-signed by the Raiders the very next day.
Yeah it was nuts. One day we will look back on those 20 years and look at seasons we thought were horrible and that killed our year and wonder...geez, why was I upset we went 11-5 and went to the superbowl. It was amazing to go 20 years and the bad years was when we didnt win multiple playoff games or go to a superbowl. I liked Gaffney when the pats picked him up. I am not sure if brady ignored him, the pats offense is horrible for new receivers most of the time, it probably took him a bit to get that part down.

One thing, I was watching one of those youtube videos of all Brady's TD's ( I was bored) and it got to the 2006 season and I was in shock at some of the plays that Gabriel and Caldwell made. 20 years of success made us all spoiled. I know I was, its nice to look back at times and take a second look at things.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back