PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kirwan:Expect a tight divisional battle between Broncos, Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Patriots lose, it won't be the worse loss and I don't think "serious" changes will have to be made. The Patriots defense needs more talent and needs to be healthy. I think the Patriots problems start and end with the defense...well that and a serious big play WR.

I had to register to say...Has the last two years jaded people or what?

I'm not saying I'm not nervous, I'm always going to be nervous and it is Denver, a team that seems to have some kind of voodoo advantage over us historically, but still - this seems to be an ideal match for the Pats.

We're talking about a QB that really can't dictate the pace of the game. Even if he did it against Pittsburgh, you are crazy if you think Belichick will have the same 8 in the box strategy that the Steelers had. That was suicide. Had they actually had a safety covering the deep ball, there's no way Tebow goes nuts like he did. And Denver still almost lost.

You have a Denver defense that, while yes they can rush the passer, was suspect against the ground game (something the Pats could establish to open up their tight ends). You also have a defense that has a hard time defending 4th and 5th opens, of which we have many.

Mainly though, I have faith in this Patriots team. They have shown a lot of adversity this year, something I don't think last year's team showed much of during the regular season (it felt like they never had to play from behind). Even if Denver jumps out to an early lead for some reason, this team has shown the ability to come back. Last year when the Jets jumped out to a 14-3 lead and Baltimore jumped to a 24-0 lead the year before, those teams had no idea how to battle back. This team does. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that and they have a nice lead all game, but if it does I don't think the game will be over.

We'll see...but like I said, in terms of matchups, I think Denver was the best we could have hoped for.

Last edited:
The two biggest 'tells' in this game will probably be:

Denver turnovers
Brady sacks/INTs

To be honest, im so scared of this game. i keep imagine that the wrong side of the pats will show up on satruday and we will lose it, i just dont see us winning this game, on the other hand - i didnt see us winning against the rams in 2001 so...i really dont know - but i dont have a good feeling about this game even one bit.

I'm scared too. Every game scares me. One would be foolish to not be. Two years running, two one and done's. This years pass d is bend and break into a million pieces....and Pitt had the number 1 ranked d.....anyway, yup, this game has me nervous too.

I'm scared too. Every game scares me. One would be foolish to not be. Two years running, two one and done's. This years pass d is bend and break into a million pieces....and Pitt had the number 1 ranked d.....anyway, yup, this game has me nervous too.

I hear you but want to point out that your mood is opposite of the "Little Miss Sunshine" under your ID. :)

So, erase the gloom and embrace the grin. We'll do a solid job and get a W.

Go Pats!

If the Patriots lose, it won't be the worse loss and I don't think "serious" changes will have to be made. The Patriots defense needs more talent and needs to be healthy. I think the Patriots problems start and end with the defense...well that and a serious big play WR.

Who isnt healthy on the defense? It's a talent issue, period. This would be a horrible loss.

Broncos are tough, but the pats have a few advantages going into the game:

1. Played them one month ago

Works both ways.

2. Temperature at game time of 25 degrees. Easily the coldest game Tebow will ever have played in.

Could be. Different people react differently to the cold. But he has had almost two years of living in Denver.

3. Getting back Spikes, Chung, Branch and Moore

I think this is potentially huge.

4. McDaniels

On the other hand, I think this is a complete non-factor.

5. Pats have lost their last 3 playoff games

Perhaps a slight motivational edge, but the Broncos are playing the "no one believes in us card," so to me, that's a wash.

6. Tebowmania distraction to the broncos (sic)

Been going on all year. No longer a big deal at all.

7. Home field advantage

Very Big Deal.

8. Broncos on short rest

Could be significant.

I dunno, something tells me the PATS on both sides of the ball will have something to say this time around. Special teams have been good all year long. I don't think it will be that tight this time.

Man am I glad you registered!.....Nice post! Welcome!....

I had to register to say...Has the last two years jaded people or what?

I'm not saying I'm not nervous, I'm always going to be nervous and it is Denver, a team that seems to have some kind of voodoo advantage over us historically, but still - this seems to be an ideal match for the Pats.

We're talking about a QB that really can't dictate the pace of the game. Even if he did it against Pittsburgh, you are crazy if you think Belichick will have the same 8 in the box strategy that the Steelers had. That was suicide. Had they actually had a safety covering the deep ball, there's no way Tebow goes nuts like he did. And Denver still almost lost.

You have a Denver defense that, while yes they can rush the passer, was suspect against the ground game (something the Pats could establish to open up their tight ends). You also have a defense that has a hard time defending 4th and 5th opens, of which we have many.

Mainly though, I have faith in this Patriots team. They have shown a lot of adversity this year, something I don't think last year's team showed much of during the regular season (it felt like they never had to play from behind). Even if Denver jumps out to an early lead for some reason, this team has shown the ability to come back. Last year when the Jets jumped out to a 14-3 lead and Baltimore jumped to a 24-0 lead the year before, those teams had no idea how to battle back. This team does. Hopefully, it doesn't come to that and they have a nice lead all game, but if it does I don't think the game will be over.

We'll see...but like I said, in terms of matchups, I think Denver was the best we could have hoped for.

On the flip side, the Pats are arguably healthier than they were when they were in surgery mode against the Broncos, while the Broncos are not.

And yet you don't hear anyone mentioning Kuper (their best run blocking OL) and Decker (leading receiver) as net losses or Chung, Spikes, Branch and Vollmer as net gains from the December game. Not to mention relative health changes for guys who did play (Dumervil now has hurt ankle and AHern now looking 100%). It is almost as if the players (apart from the highlight guys) are irrelevant.

I dunno, something tells me the PATS on both sides of the ball will have something to say this time around. Special teams have been good all year long. I don't think it will be that tight this time.

It wasn't tight last time. The offense exploded, the D settled, DEN made mistakes and it was over by the end of the 3rd qtr.

Last edited:
I'm going to be very disappointed in this team if they start out slow yet again. It was a problem the last couple games, no reason it showed carry over.

If the Pats didn't play the Broncos less than a month ago, I would be all over the betting line. However, its always tough to play a team in a short amount time (ala 2007 vs. Giants).

Wouldn't that be true both ways? :confused:

Why would it be harder for us, but not the Broncos? Me personally, I think they played us the best they could (minus the muffed punt) and failed against a defense missing two key run stuffers up the middle.

Last edited:
This team has shown mental toughness. The 2010 Patriots didn't demonstrate the same aptitude for mine.

Who isnt healthy on the defense? It's a talent issue, period. This would be a horrible loss.

Their 2nd round pick and starting CB, Ras I Dowling

Phony Tebow mania has bitten the dust. Pats will embarass the Donkeys. And we can all get a long break from the Tebow BS. They got lucky against a tired, injured Pitt team playing at high altitude with a s**ty game plan. Does everyone forget Denver in wk 15, 16 and 17. Nobody said a peep. All of a sudden they're back up to hype. I'm not buying it. The Tebow train is getting derailed by the Pats....Again!!! :rocker:

Doesn't seem like people are nervous for this one.

The game will not be close..BB has enough film on Tebow and the Broncos to know what needs to be done, Brady is still pissed about the last two playoff losses...we are looking at a 41 - 10 thrashing of the Broncs

whenever you meet an opponent twice...it is that much harder....
familiarity is the key....they have u on tape against what they are running...

Cant both teams say that? So doesn't that make it all even? both teams know more about each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes