PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kind of OT: Jack Easterby article on SI

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I don't know why the search feature didn't turn up any previous Easterby threads but I am glad to see this Joel Osteen snake get outed.

I don't personally understand how huge religion is in the US, so I always found his ascension rather bizarre. Furthermore, I doubly found it weird since BB never struck me as a deeply devout individual. So, I chalked it up to "BB is trying to reach out to his players as much as possible".

Wasn’t Bill incredibly adamant that he wasn’t a personnel guy? Whole thing always struck me as strange

I don't personally understand how huge religion is in the US, so I always found his ascension rather bizarre. Furthermore, I doubly found it weird since BB never struck me as a deeply devout individual. So, I chalked it up to "BB is trying to reach out to his players as much as possible".
There seems to be a good deal of bible thumping weirdos in the NFL for some reason. I always think of this article from the Joe Gibbs II era in Washington about how over the top some of the cultishness got in the locker room.

Wow, how terrible that his idol is MLK. :rolleyes:
I think it was more the fact that it was a flimsy attempt to relate to black players with his "Ray Ray and Ki-Ki". Pretty much ripped a page right out of Al Pacino's playbook in Any Given Sunday when talking to Willie Beamon about hearing momma ring the dinner bell or whatever that speech was.

Whoever said "if you combine a faith healing televangalist with Littlefinger" nailed it!

Always remember, those who you step over on your way up, are the same ones who are going to kick you on your way down!

tumblr_lrmgl7s05G1ql4rqdo1_500.gif

How he rose to such a prominent position in this organization is something that hurts my brain to think about.

The change in football "titles" can not be questioned, and seems a bit odd. Having said that, these Easterby stories are full of anonymous sources which I do not believe anymore - I call it "anonymous drama" news. Now that anonymous sources are less credible, stories are claiming an increased number of anonymous sources to make the story seem credible. "This story has 40 anonymous sources". I am sure there is some truth to it, and some garbage too. I do not know how the separate the truth and garbage, so I ignore the whole thing.

The change in football "titles" can not be questioned, and seems a bit odd. Having said that, these Easterby stories are full of anonymous sources which I do not believe anymore - I call it "anonymous drama" news. Now that anonymous sources are less credible, stories are claiming an increased number of anonymous sources to make the story seem credible. "This story has 40 anonymous sources". I am sure there is some truth to it, and some garbage too. I do not know how the separate the truth and garbage, so I ignore the whole thing.
The guy is a snake.

There should be a spoiler warning for anyone who still hasn’t watched GoT. The author gives away some big time deaths.

For those who don't watch Game of Thrones, this might be an oblique metaphor, as well as a hyperbolic one. But the point is: A player found insight into his own workplace from a dramaseries about the vicious and unrelenting pursuit of power. “That’s why I was able to read them,” the player says of the trio of decision makers, speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution. “I knew who it was going to be [at the end].”
Ah... retaliation. An excellent way to run a business.

Bizarre circumstances ? Also odd to me given BBs direction that “football comes first”.

I grew up in a very religious household and see all the great things that religion brings...but just seems like an odd marriage to me nonetheless.

So, I chalked it up to "BB is trying to reach out to his players as much as possible".
It's become standard operating procedure for entities like universities and their athletic departments, pro sports franchises, even major corporations to cater to their minority students/athletes/employees by deploying incredible resources designed to acclimate/counsel/foster/integrate them into a society very unfamiliar to many.
And for many of these young people who came from nothing, they are often suspicious of unfamiliarities. To make connections, these universities, sports teams, etc. provide a familiarity with a common connection......often someone with a religious background.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back