PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicking the 56 yard FG vs going for it on 4th and 3

So just ignore stats then? He said he made it from 58 during warm ups....Tough choice, if they go for it and don't make it, people are going to 2nd guess why they didn't go for the field goal....either way, we could have won the game...Brady didn't throw any TD's and we have our qb of the future. Even though a tough loss, I think we have a bright future.
All the more reason to trust your star rookie QB to make one more play.

I would have accepted it if that 4th and 3 didn’t convert. At least it made more sense than asking Folk to do something he can’t do.

How does a field goal also not carry the same "you don't convert, you lose" condition? We didn't convert, we lost. Furthermore, if we did convert the kick, we still don't necessarily win. It's the right decision if there are 15 seconds left on the clock. It's not the right decision when there's more than enough time for the greatest 2 minute drill QB in NFL history to score some more points.
You convert when that D has been on your qbs ass the entire last drive? highly doubtful.

You kick, you make it you win.

You play the odds. The odds say kick it.

and you know what, no matter what decision BB made, it would have been excoriated if it didnt work.
You know you;d be here screaming for his head if they went for it and didnt convert.

Josh would have called some stupid play is we went for it, so while I hate the call the alternative was watching Mac get sacked or Jacob Johnson lose yards on a carry.

Absolutely.

Zero confidence mcd would have called a good play. It would have been a disaster. Does anyone else remember how many times the Pats were in 4th and 21 this game.

Mac was playing great but it's like the rule of multiplication, anything times zero (mcd) is still zero.

Going with Folk and your Defense makes more sense than trusting a fraud oc.

This is what I mean by letting the suds do the talking. Get some sleep man and do yourself a favor, don't post again until morning.

Every play looks like a bad decision when it doesn't work. Looking at the odds as I understand them and given the fact that the OL was getting wrecked all night, the FG was better odds.

His post actually makes perfect sense to be honest. It's not just the fact that we missed the FG. Even if you MAKE the FG you are leaving a minute for Brady. Look at the previous 2 defensive drives:

- Our pass rush was clearly spent, nobody was getting to Brady in obvious pass situations.
- Jonathon Jones was hobbled, he got beat twice by AB only to have one pass sail and AB very luckily drop a TD.
- Tampa's kicker was lights out after the first miss

The chances of us stopping Tampa from driving into FG range was almost as bad as making a 56 yarder in a storm. It was a bad decision from multiple fronts.

They needed the points and couldn't risk coming up short, so they felt Folk would hit the kick and given how the defense had been playing, Belichick felt confident they could close out the game.

I get the decision. I don't like it, but I get it. It just obviously sucks that he missed it.

Teddy J just reminded us that the greatest coach in the history of the game decided not to kick a 53-yard field goal against Miami in the opener. and it was 75° and sunny that day. But he decides to kick a 56 yarder in the pouring rain with an injured kicker

His post actually makes perfect sense to be honest. It's not just the fact that we missed the FG. Even if you MAKE the FG you are leaving a minute for Brady. Look at the previous 2 defensive drives:

- Our pass rush was clearly spent, nobody was getting to Brady in obvious pass situations.
- Jonathon Jones was hobbled, he got beat twice by AB only to have one pass sail and AB very luckily drop a TD.

The chances of us stopping Tampa from driving into FG range was almost as bad as making a 56 yarder in a storm. It was a bad decision from multiple fronts.
And they had 2 TOs.

It was a wretched call equally as bad as 4th and 2.

Our offensive line was not playing well on that last drive. for most of the game if we are being honest.

I hate to be agreeing with FCB too, LOOK AT WHAT THIS DECISION IS DOING MAN

All the more reason to trust your star rookie QB to make one more play.

I would have accepted it if that 4th and 3 didn’t convert. At least it made more sense than asking Folk to do something he can’t do.
You’re not allowed to question the decision of a Patriots coach here!!!

In my opinion it was the wrong decision to kick the field goal. The rain was pouring far worse when folk attempted that 56 yarder than in “pre game warm ups”. That poster probably never played football in their lives so they have no clue how tough it is to kick in the rain. Not to mention even if you make it, you give the ball back to the GOAT with enough time on the clock

You convert when that D has been on your qbs ass the entire last drive? highly doubtful.

You kick, you make it you win.

You play the odds. The odds say kick it.

and you know what, no matter what decision BB made, it would have been excoriated if it didnt work.
You know you;d be here screaming for his head if they went for it and didnt convert.
You can say that, and you're entitled to your opinion because I do let a lot of emotion out. But I assure you that before the kick was even attempted, I knew which choice I wanted to see. I really don't think I'm out here ranting like a lunatic. I'm making what to me seem like logical arguments.

I really don't think I would have been mad at BB if we went for it and failed. I'd have been mad about the execution.

Well said

You can say that, and you're entitled to your opinion because I do let a lot of emotion out. But I assure you that before the kick was even attempted, I knew which choice I wanted to see. I really don't think I'm out here ranting like a lunatic. I'm making what to me seem like logical arguments.
Of course I can say that. Its not an opinion. Its a strategy. Its how the game is played.

You play the odds.

The wind may have picked up an extra .5 mph, or changed directions slightly, or the rain may have picked up by an imperceptible amount. That’s the type of factor we’re talking about with an oblong ball going 171 feet and missing a target by six inches.

And Brady and Belichick are just spectators to their legacy there, too. Crazy to think about these things.

Of course I can say that. Its not an opinion. Its a strategy. Its how the game is played.

You play the odds.
I'm talking about your opinion that I would have been mad at either decision if it failed. I think that's a bad faith way to approach someone who disagrees with you.

The kick had the distance and just missed by a matter of inches, so of course it was the right call

Our offensive line was not playing well on that last drive. for most of the game if we are being honest.

Jones had completed what was it , 19 passes in a row just prior to that? That # may be wrong but it was alot. And Tampa was missing pretty much all their corners. Besides, you make the FG and you still have a decent chance at losing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back