PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Folk makes the field goal in the first half all the need is a field goal. Not sure why BB is sticking with him.
Because we don’t have a better option. Gostowski is spotty and basically played for his job today. Our rookie sucked in training camp. We let go of Koo who has proven to be decent. We were stuck

Because there is no one else out there. Good kickers are like gold right now.

KC's Buttker should demand $12m a year--that's how rare a good kicker is these days. Maybe since the league changed the kicking ball rules (can't be rubbed down any more).

The way I see it: If Belichick drafted Rohrwasser as our long-term kicker, you might as well let him kick to gain experience. If he sucks, so what? Nick Folk is bad, and the rest of the free agent kickers don't look too appealing either. Give him a year to improve, see if he's worth keeping next year.

The way I see it: If Belichick drafted Rohrwasser as our long-term kicker, you might as well let him kick to gain experience. If he sucks, so what? Nick Folk is bad, and the rest of the free agent kickers don't look too appealing either. Give him a year to improve, see if he's worth keeping next year.
I'd agree in most circumstances. However, it's not that simple with kickers. They're among the most fragile athletes mentally of any sport in existence. If he gets out there in real games and starts missing at a high rate, he may never get good or recover. The practice environment might be better forb him at this time.

I was going to suggest that Folk shouldn't take too much heat for missing a 51 yarder, and that some blame should be put on the offense for losing two yards on the prior play. However, that shank would have missed from 35, and the average success rate for 51 yard kicks between 2014 - 2018 was about 80%, so I will go ahead and blame the kicker.

I was going to suggest that Folk shouldn't take too much heat for missing a 51 yarder, and that some blame should be put on the offense for losing two yards on the prior play. However, that shank would have missed from 35, and the average success rate for 51 yard kicks between 2014 - 2018 was about 80%, so I will go ahead and blame the kicker.

You assume he would kick a e.g. 35 yard the same way he would kick a 50+.

There is a reason his success rate falls off a cliff beyond 45 yards.

The OP seems to think that finding people who routinely make 51 yard FGs is easy.

It's NOT easy.

It is probably easy to find people who routinely make 30-45 yard FGs. That is probably what we have in Folk.

All Folk can do is kick extra points and closer. Anything 40 or beyond is 50/50. Bill screwed the kicker position so bad it is hard to fathom as usually he gets that right. But you could argue that we have already lost a game due to the kicking or at least it was one big reason we lost. If we don't get it solved then it will bite us all year.

Because we don’t have a better option. Gostowski is spotty and basically played for his job today. Our rookie sucked in training camp. We let go of Koo who has proven to be decent. We were stuck
Bill had an entire offseason to find a capable kicker. Instead he wasted a draft pick on someone who couldn't even make the team or beat out disastrous, washed up kickers. Having a kicker incapable of hitting a 40+ yarder is going to be a serious killer for us. How hard is it to identify a competent kicker?

Do teams trade for kickers? Like, could they send draft picks to a team that have a decent kicker but no chance of winning anything this season? (lookin' at you Jets, Lions, Giants)

By merely being unclaimed so late and last year, Folk must de facto be the 32nd worst kicker in the league.

'if he sucks' could cost us multiple games.

Bill had an entire offseason to find a capable kicker. Instead he wasted a draft pick on someone who couldn't even make the team or beat out disastrous, washed up kickers. Having a kicker incapable of hitting a 40+ yarder is going to be a serious killer for us. How hard is it to identify a competent kicker?
Seeing how many bad kickers there are around the league, I'd wager it's not as easy as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back