PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KG is no Larry Bird

he had one second to get that shot off and everybody including the lakers knew he was getting the ball and he still got a great shot off but back rimmed it.

I think I remember that one, if I'm correct, he had Cooper in his face and he had to adjust the shot (a three pointer) and it still almost went in.

I think I remember that one, if I'm correct, he had Cooper in his face and he had to adjust the shot (a three pointer) and it still almost went in.
he was deep in the corner in front of the laker bench. the celts had time for a inbound pass and a quick shot. it was a miracle the celts even got a shot at all.

he was deep in the corner in front of the laker bench. the celts had time for a inbound pass and a quick shot. it was a miracle the celts even got a shot at all.

Oh, and just to jog the memories of Bird's greatness. Cooper was a tenacious defender. Just prior to that shot Cooper came as close to possible to pulling Bird's shirt off (no call).

Yes, it definitely was not a "choke". It's just that Larry came through in so many impossible situations before, we expected him to again there.

i watched larry birds entire career. i didn't miss a game in the 80s. he didn't miss his fair share of shots. nine out of ten times he came threw when it counted the most. you could make a hour long dvd with nothing but larry bird clutch shots. to say the memories of larry bird have grown is like saying his memories are being exsagerated. that couldn't be more wrong.

Let's not get carried away.

I watched just about every game of that era as well. I saw Bird miss shots and free throws... he wasn't 100% from the floor and wasn't 100% from the free throw line (though as close to perfect on the line as one can probably get). He probably shot around 50% from the field. He wasn't perfect and did miss some shots in close games - not a ton, but he did indeed miss some.

The Championships that went to LA are proof enough of that.

He's human. Why should that tarnish his image? And why should great memories of Bird be used to tarnish what KG's done in Boston?

what an absolute steaming turd of a thread...

compares apples to oranges, is completely irrelevant, completely subjective, ungrateful, and, well, i won't say what else...

two great players, two great champions... just stop talking, cup... there's plenty of anti-black threads in the PoFo for you to enjoy...

Last edited:
what an absolute steaming turd of a thread...

compares apples to oranges, is completely irrelevant, completely subjective, ungrateful, and, well, i won't say what else...

two great players, two great champions... just stop talking, cup... there's plenty of anti-black threads in the PoFo for you to enjoy...

Winner. There is exactly nothing to complain about.

I watched just about every game of that era as well. I saw Bird miss shots and free throws... he wasn't 100% from the floor and wasn't 100% from the free throw line (though as close to perfect on the line as one can probably get). He probably shot around 50% from the field. He wasn't perfect and did miss some shots in close games - not a ton, but he did indeed miss some.

He's human. Why should that tarnish his image? And why should great memories of Bird be used to tarnish what KG's done in Boston?
nobody is getting carried away. you don't know what your talking about. larry bird is the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the Celtic's and one of the best in nba history. you must have been drunk in the 80s a lot because you were not watching the same games i was. there is a difference between fg percentage and clutch shooting. losing two championships doesnt prove anything other than the lakers were the better team those years . what the hell does that have to do with Larry birds clutch shooting? kg is awesome nobody is saying he isn't.

I like KG a lot but this isn't the first time in these playoffs that he has bricked free throw attempts in crunch time.
I don't think he missed a single FT tonight, he was white hot.

Bird didn't shoot 100% from the floor? I'll have to go back and look at the tapes.

nobody is getting carried away. you don't know what your talking about. larry bird is the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the Celtic's and one of the best in nba history. you must have been drunk in the 80s a lot because you were not watching the same games i was. there is a difference between fg percentage and clutch shooting. losing two championships doesnt prove anything other than the lakers were the better team those years . what the hell does that have to do with Larry birds clutch shooting? kg is awesome nobody is saying he isn't.

It's just amazing to me that in the midst of an incredible championship season, fans need to get caught up in an outright STUPID debate comparing two different players who are EXACTLY that - two different players.

But memories from 20 years ago are great things, and if people seem to remember that Bird never missed a shot with the game on the line, or missed a free throw with the game on the line - they are welcome to their bliss.

Just try not to let that false memory tarnish all that Garnett did for this team - even though yes, he did miss a free throw and miss a shot in some big games.

Pierce, for what its worth, had the ball stolen from him when the team was 2 points down in the final minutes of Game 5. Larry Bird never would have allowed that to happen - right?

It's just amazing to me that in the midst of an incredible championship season, fans need to get caught up in an outright STUPID debate comparing two different players who are EXACTLY that - two different players.

But memories from 20 years ago are great things, and if people seem to remember that Bird never missed a shot with the game on the line, or missed a free throw with the game on the line - they are welcome to their bliss.

Just try not to let that false memory tarnish all that Garnett did for this team - even though yes, he did miss a free throw and miss a shot in some big games.

Pierce, for what its worth, had the ball stolen from him when the team was 2 points down in the final minutes of Game 5. Larry Bird never would have allowed that to happen - right?
this from the guy who said dange ainge is just a lucky GM. what amazes me is how poorly you read other peoples posts. :rolleyes:

this from the guy who said dange ainge is just a lucky GM. what amazes me is how poorly you read other peoples posts. :rolleyes:

Was there anyone who disputed that KG was no as good as Bird. There isn't even an argument there and really not a worthwhile topic. Then, we digress to Bird not making all his shots. Bottom line, Bird was the most clutch shooter during his playing days. I'll make a point of paying attention to ESPN Classics and see if Bird misses more game winners then the one I know of.

No one questions that Danny Aigne is a lucky GM - is there even debate about that? I don't think Ainge himself questions that and is pretty darn thankful he's not talking about a "good rebuilding year" with Greg Oden at Center right now.

But I take it from your post that everyone who asserted that KG can't be counted upon with the game or a series on the line is now asserting that they never said that? That's pretty much what I figured would happen after he had a big game and they won the Championship.

You seem to take offense at the notion that Bird missed any shots. I'm not wrong about that. He did. People forget but even Bird "clunked" a few free throws in big games. Even Bird missed a few shots in the final minutes. People tend to forget those things over 22 years.

So do you think Boston fans will ever forgive KG for missing those free thows in Game 5? I do.

Last edited:
No one questions that Danny Aigne is a lucky GM - is there even debate about that? I don't think Ainge himself questions that and is pretty darn thankful he's not talking about a "good rebuilding year" with Greg Oden at Center right now.

But I take it from your post that everyone who asserted that KG can't be counted upon with the game or a series on the line is now asserting that they never said that? That's pretty much what I figured would happen after he had a big game and they won the Championship.

You seem to take offense at the notion that Bird missed any shots. I'm not wrong about that. He did. People forget but even Bird "clunked" a few free throws in big games. Even Bird missed a few shots in the final minutes. People tend to forget those things over 22 years.

So do you think Boston fans will ever forgive KG for missing those free thows in Game 5? I do.
dude you love to make **** up. find one post of mine where i said anything negative about KG. JUST ONE. your pathetic have another beer. :rolleyes: doc sucks ainge sucks they are both just lucky right? your are incredibly stupid. let me say it again so you can hear it. bird is and was by far the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the celtics and one of the greatest clutch shooters in the nba. your entire above post is wrong.

Cedric Maxwell said earlier this year that KG is a better basketball player
than Larry Bird.

He may be a better defender, but wihen the chips are on the line Garnett
looks to pass and please do not put him on the free throw line.

Bird always wanted the balll when it mattered most.
He would never clunk two free throws down by 2.

OP can eat some crow now. KG took over in the clinching game, scored the ball in the post and really set the tone for the night with his aggression. KG isn't the same kind of player as Larry Legend. duh. Each player has their strengths, but I bet KG has more passion and ability in his pinky than OP has in his entire body. Celtics are the new NBA CHAMPIONS!!! Now quite your whining and sip on some bubbly. Bill Russell loves KG, and I'll take his endorsement over some know it all anonymous message board poster! The new Big 3 has arrived, cheers to banner #17!!!

The OP is right. Larry Bird was never a 6'11 monster who won a Defensive Player of the Year award.

The OP is right. Larry Bird was never a 6'11 monster who won a Defensive Player of the Year award.
you arent even old enough to have watched any larry bird games lol. larry has three rings two finals mvp awards . scored 60 plus points in a game . i could go on. magic johnson said larry bird is the best player he ever played against. case closed.

Last edited:
you arent even old enough to have watched any larry bird games lol. larry has three rings two finals mvp awards . scored 60 plus points in a game . i could go on.

actually i have. but you aren't intelligent enough to realize how ludicrous this entire thread is. they were different players so why compare the two? larry bird can't even sniff KG's jock strap when it comes to defense so what is your point other than to blow a load over the last great white celtics player?

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back