PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KG is no Larry Bird

actually i have. but you aren't intelligent enough to realize how ludicrous this entire thread is. they were different players so why compare the two? larry bird can't even sniff KG's jock strap when it comes to defense so what is your point other than to blow a load over the last great white celtics player?
what are you a racist? what does color have to do with anything. whats ludicrous is you even having a opinion on the subject because you have never seen bird play so stop lying. if the thread is crap don't participate in the thread. i didn't start this thread. enlighten me on how doc is a lousy coach now. and you know this because you watch a lot of games lmao . that's always good for a chuckle. if i were you i wouldnt comment on anybody's intelligence

Last edited:
Based on your lack of grammar, your incoherent stream of consciousness writing, as well as the constant use of things like 'lol' in your posts, you can't be more than 15 years old or have the mentality of one.

Based on your lack of grammar, your incoherent stream of consciousness writing, as well as the constant use of things like 'lol' in your posts, you can't be more than 15 years old or have the mentality of one.
lmao whatever you say coach. using your dumb ass logic you must be a racist because doc is black and you dont like him. the difference is i love KG.

Last edited:
dude you love to make **** up. find one post of mine where i said anything negative about KG. JUST ONE. your pathetic have another beer. :rolleyes: doc sucks ainge sucks they are both just lucky right? your are incredibly stupid. let me say it again so you can hear it. bird is and was by far the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the celtics and one of the greatest clutch shooters in the nba. your entire above post is wrong.

Why do you equate Ainge = Lucky with Ainge = A Crap GM?

You can't tell me you or anyone else deny the luck of NOT getting the bounce of the Ping Pong ball for Oden, do you? Tell me with a straight face that if we had Oden we'd be celebrating a championship. Go ahead.

And why do you think I'm disparaging Bird? I said he was a 50% shooter from the field. Look up the stats yourself. I agree he was the best clutch shooter ever.

I also said he had some missed free throws as well. All I'm doing is defending KG from all those who jumped off the bandwagon because he "clunked" two free throws, questioning his heart, ability and leadership. If that wasn't you, fine - if it was, eat crow and admit that KG had a great game when it counted most last night.

And look at my original post about Bird - and what I said about heart and leadership.

I think someone ELSE has been drinking judging by "your" (not "you're") inability to comprehend the points here.

And now you're accusing other people of being racist? What's up with that? You don't think you're reading a bit much into my and other people's posts?

sgthulka.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you equate Ainge = Lucky with Ainge = A Crap GM?

You can't tell me you or anyone else deny the luck of NOT getting the bounce of the Ping Pong ball for Oden, do you? Tell me with a straight face that if we had Oden we'd be celebrating a championship. Go ahead.

And why do you think I'm disparaging Bird? I said he was a 50% shooter from the field. Look up the stats yourself. I agree he was the best clutch shooter ever.

I also said he had some missed free throws as well. All I'm doing is defending KG from all those who jumped off the bandwagon because he "clunked" two free throws, questioning his heart, ability and leadership. If that wasn't you, fine - if it was, eat crow and admit that KG had a great game when it counted most last night.

And look at my original post about Bird - and what I said about heart and leadership.

I think someone ELSE has been drinking judging by "your" (not "you're") inability to comprehend the points here.

And now you're accusing other people of being racist? What's up with that? You don't think you're reading a bit much into my and other people's posts?

[/QUOTE]
i will tell you all day long that it wasn't luck regarding Danny ainge's success's. hes a excellent gm and luck had nothing to do with it. learn how to read .maverick brought race into the discussion not me. you would know that if you read the entire thread. i asked if he was a racist i didn't accuse him. but i find it strange he brought color into it. i never said you were disparaging bird. your just not accurate when describing his performance over the years. again you fail to see the difference between his over all fg percentage and clutch shooting . they are not the same. Dennis Johnson didn't shoot for a great fg percentage yet he was regarded as a excellent clutch shooter. again find anything i said negative about KG. you cant.

Last edited:
i will tell you all day long that it wasn't luck regarding Danny ainge's success's. hes a excellent gm and luck had nothing to do with it. learn how to read .maverick brought race into the discussion not me. you would know that if you read the entire thread. i asked if he was a racist i didn't accuse him. but i find it strange he brought color into it. i never said you were disparaging bird. your just not accurate when describing his performance over the years. again you fail to see the difference between his over all fg percentage and clutch shooting . they are not the same. Dennis Johnson didn't shoot for a great fg percentage yet he was regarded as a excellent clutch shooter. again find anything i said negative about KG. you cant.

If you want to think that Ainge had no luck and that Bird never missed a free throw or shot in a big game, so be it.

Don't disparage those who know otherwise, and lay off Kevin Garnett. He missed two free throws in Game 5.

He redeemed himself not just in Game 6, but throughout a Season where he not only put his own ego aside, he showed incredible leadership and helped our young players learn what it takes to be winners.

If we never drafted Tom Brady in the sixth round and suffered successive 7-9 seasons under Drew Bledsoe, Pioli would be called a terrible GM. As it turns out, we did draft Brady and, lucky for us, he became one of the greatest cluth QBs in the history of the game. So for you to say that luck is not involved in becoming a good GM is completely bogus.

If you want to think that Ainge had no luck and that Bird never missed a free throw or shot in a big game, so be it.

Don't disparage those who know otherwise, and lay off Kevin Garnett. He missed two free throws in Game 5.

He redeemed himself not just in Game 6, but throughout a Season where he not only put his own ego aside, he showed incredible leadership and helped our young players learn what it takes to be winners.
lay off KG? I was never on KG. put your reading glasses on lol and put the six pack down. just because you don't know anything is no reason for you to be disparaging to others that do.

Last edited:
What's with the pointless comparisons? LB & KG are two immortal Celtics with different styles and strengths. So why argue or knock either one?

But based on championship banners, for my money, the greatest Celt of all was a non-shooter: # 6.

lay off KG? I was never on KG. put your reading glasses on lol and put the six pack down. just because you don't know anything is no reason for you to be disparaging to others that do.

All I know is I make what apparently is a crazy statement that KG shouldn't be vilified for missing free throws - and that Bird himself missed a few free throws and shots in big games - and that draws a series of rants by you whereby you think I'm decrying Bird and Ainge.

Then someone else raises some other issues and you're questioning whether they're racist.

You think you might just be over-reacting or reading more into people's posts here?

Again - lighten up, enjoy the moment.

Give it a few weeks and then maybe start a "Bird was no Bill Russel" thread so we can engage in another "controversial" discussion about two great and unique players who need not be compared to appreciate them.

All I know is I make what apparently is a crazy statement that KG shouldn't be vilified for missing free throws - and that Bird himself missed a few free throws and shots in big games - and that draws a series of rants by you whereby you think I'm decrying Bird and Ainge.

Then someone else raises some other issues and you're questioning whether they're racist.

You think you might just be over-reacting or reading more into people's posts here?

Again - lighten up, enjoy the moment.

Give it a few weeks and then maybe start a "Bird was no Bill Russel" thread so we can engage in another "controversial" discussion about two great and unique players who need not be compared to appreciate them.
that would be a great post if it was true lmao. i didn't compare bird and kg nor did i start the thread. as i said before i didn't bring race into the discussion maverick did. do you know how to read? i didn't rant about anything. i just pointed out you were wrong about bird and the way you described his shooting career. you keep bringing up fg percentage and I've tried in vane to point out that fg percentage and clutch shooting are different. I'm enjoying the moment just fine. you on the other hand must be enjoying it a bit to much because your obviously drunk. no one can read as poorly as you do. put the six pack down joe and read very slowly. then you can accurately respond to my post instead of making things up that i didn't say

Last edited:
Bird was as good as his legend. It's too bad that people that didn't see him when he got hot think he was just another good player. When the pressure was on, there was no one in the game better and players like Magic and Jordan will tell you that themselves. Bird wasn't perfect but he was about as close as you get when the game is on the line. There would be times when Bird wouldn't hit for a whole half and then he got hot and took over the game. It wasn't just his shooting either. He made some of the most difficult shots and passes you'll ever see.

It's a shame that Dennis Rodman's comments have been used to diminish one of the best in the game because he's white and it's an easy sell to young people who think that he couldn't be that good because he was white or that white people think he was good because he was white. He was the MVP for 3 straight years. If he didn't play as hard, his body would not have betrayed him and he would have added to his legacy. There was no one in the NBA, Jordan included, that you wanted taking that last shot than Bird, no one.

Since someone brought up McHale, there wasn't a better post player than McHale and I might have trouble putting KG above him. As Barkley said once "Kevin McHale is unguardable".

The HOF is filled with Celtics. If you like how Rondo plays, go back and look at highlights of Cousy.

It's too bad when young people have to diminish other greats so that they can brag about their current stars.

Last edited:
Bird was as good as his legend. It's too bad that people that didn't see him when he got hot think he was just another good player. When the pressure was on, there was no one in the game better and players like Magic and Jordan will tell you that themselves. Bird wasn't perfect but he was about as close as you get when the game is on the line. There would be times when Bird wouldn't hit for a whole half and then he got hot and took over the game. It wasn't just his shooting either. He made some of the most difficult shots and passes you'll ever see.

It's a shame that Dennis Rodman's comments have been used to diminish one of the best in the game because he's white and it's an easy sell to young people who think that he couldn't be that good because he was white or that white people think he was good because he was white. He was the MVP for 3 straight years. If he didn't play as hard, his body would not have betrayed him and he would have added to his legacy. There was no one in the NBA, Jordan included, that you wanted taking that last shot than Bird, no one.

Since someone brought up McHale, there wasn't a better post player than McHale and I might have trouble putting KG above him. As Barkley said once "Kevin McHale is unguardable".

The HOF is filled with Celtics. If you like how Rondo plays, go back and look at highlights of Cousy.

It's too bad when young people have to diminish other greats so that they can brag about their current stars.
i couldnt put it any better. :rocker:

KG is a great player ... Pierce is a great player ... Ray Allen was great and now is just excellant. The difference with Bird was he made everyone on the floor better. KG helps Perk be better. Pierce helps Rondo be better. Allen helps Pierce be better ... but Bird made everyone better and the stats don't show that stat.

Bird was the real deal young'uns. He and Magic made the NBA what it was today and Jordan made sure that it lasted.

Your franchise (the Celtics) had some of the best players to ever play the game and it had backup HOF players. Black, White, old timers, new players, it doesn't matter, they were the best. Until this 22 year period (which was, in large part, because of deaths), the Celtics never went more than 5 years without a championship. Think about the fact that Russell has more rings than he has fingers.

I thank this team this year for restoring Celtic basketball and making me remember what I fell in love with as a kid because even my memories about how magical they were began to fade until this playoff. What you saw in these finals were what we saw almost every year from the Celtics win or lose, that's how Celtic basketball was always played.

My hope is that Ainge is the true successor to Red and not just a guy who got lucky. If this wasn't a fluke and he truly is Red's successor, look out basketball world because the Celtics are back.

Last edited:
This thread is an example of what happens when a couple of people committed to contrarianism are determined to make more out of a subject than anyone who commented on it had. By his own admission with a trophy on the line Garnett played like **** in Game 5 of an NBA Finals. Shame on some of us for making the same observation. :rolleyes:

No one vilified him. Others just made that leap so they could argue about something. Ray Allen went through hell and still delivered like clockwork. Pierce stepped up and put the offense and defense on his back. Kevin had issues, but he got through them in game 6. Still he was 3rd or 4th choice for player of the game. But that's OK because pretty much the entire roster stepped up for that game. And he played an important role in creating that kind of atmosphere on this roster.

I think the emotion and pressure and his own desperation for a title got to him once it was right there within reach and it threw him off his game. Nerves, Larry didn't have any. The good news is I don't think that will ever happen to him again because he got that monkey off his back once and for all.

And Mav's comment absolutely was racist. And sensless. And needless.

This thread is an example of what happens when a couple of people committed to contrarianism are determined to make more out of a subject than anyone who commented on it had. By his own admission with a trophy on the line Garnett played like **** in Game 5 of an NBA Finals. Shame on some of us for making the same observation. :rolleyes:

No one vilified him. Others just made that leap so they could argue about something. Ray Allen went through hell and still delivered like clockwork. Pierce stepped up and put the offense and defense on his back. Kevin had issues, but he got through them in game 6. Still he was 3rd or 4th choice for player of the game. But that's OK because pretty much the entire roster stepped up for that game. And he played an important role in creating that kind of atmosphere on this roster.

I think the emotion and pressure and his own desperation for a title got to him once it was right there within reach and it threw him off his game. Nerves, Larry didn't have any. The good news is I don't think that will ever happen to him again because he got that monkey off his back once and for all.

And Mav's comment absolutely was racist. And sensless. And needless.
thank you mo.:rocker:

that would be a great post if it was true lmao. i didn't compare bird and kg nor did i start the thread. as i said before i didn't bring race into the discussion maverick did. do you know how to read? i didn't rant about anything. i just pointed out you were wrong about bird and the way you described his shooting career. you keep bringing up fg percentage and I've tried in vane to point out that fg percentage and clutch shooting are different. I'm enjoying the moment just fine. you on the other hand must be enjoying it a bit to much because your obviously drunk. no one can read as poorly as you do. put the six pack down joe and read very slowly. then you can accurately respond to my post instead of making things up that i didn't say

What is with you accusing people of being drunk? What's with all the hatred and disrepect for people who actually do have serious substance abuse problems. You shouldn't make light of such things.

In the interest of the celebration would it make you happy if I would concede that:

1.) Larry Bird never ever once ever missed a critical free throw and

2.) Larry Bird never ever once missed a shot in the final moments of a game?

Because my only point was that Bird, like Garnett, did in fact miss a free throw or two as well as a shot or two in the final minutes of a big game - yet for some reason this angers you to no end.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lighten up Francis! :)

This thread is an example of what happens when a couple of people committed to contrarianism are determined to make more out of a subject than anyone who commented on it had. No one vilified him. Others just made that leap so they could argue about something.

OK - I must have misunderstood... so when people made the point that Garnett is no Larry Bird, they weren't saying he's lacking in anyway as a player or that he chokes in high pressure situations... they were actually complimenting him?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:
What is with you accusing people of being drunk? What's with all the hatred and disrepect for people who actually do have serious substance abuse problems. You shouldn't make light of such things.

In the interest of the celebration would it make you happy if I would concede that:

1.) Larry Bird never ever once ever missed a critical free throw and

2.) Larry Bird never ever once missed a shot in the final moments of a game?

Because my only point was that Bird, like Garnett, did in fact miss a free throw or two as well as a shot or two in the final minutes of a big game - yet for some reason this angers you to no end.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lighten up Francis! :)

OK - I must have misunderstood... so when people made the point that Garnett is no Larry Bird, they weren't saying he's lacking in anyway as a player or that he chokes in high pressure situations... they were actually complimenting him?

Thanks for clearing that up.
i didn't accuse people of being drunk. i said you were drunk because you cant comprehend my reading. you tend to exaggerate and falsify and say things that i never said. i didnt disrespect people just you. im not angry at you lol .i think your the one who needs to lighten up.

i didn't accuse people of being drunk. i said you were drunk because you cant comprehend my reading. you tend to exaggerate and falsify and say things that i never said. i didnt disrespect people just you. im not angry at you lol .i think your the one who needs to lighten up.

Can the "drunk" references, period. There are people on this board in recovery and its insulting and disrepectful to them.... not cool at all.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back