PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keshawn Martin Injured or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Thought you couldn't cut an injured player, but i see reports he limped off with his foot/leg wrapped.

I would be surprised if they cut him if healthy. Caught on well last year and they resigned with some guaranteed money. I think they'd seen enough of Dobson, so why was he cut?

Would like to call the Vikings about Mckinnon they obviously need picks right now I'm sure anything is on the table right now

Thought you couldn't cut an injured player, but i see reports he limped off with his foot/leg wrapped.

I would be surprised if they cut him if healthy. Caught on well last year and they resigned with some guaranteed money. I think they'd seen enough of Dobson, so why was he cut?
How we got Gaffney.

There's got to be another receiver on the way more than likely in form of a trade.

Or someone that was released today that they like. But there must be...but they do have 4 TEs...

Its so sketchy. If hes injured he can file with the NFLPA and petition for a settlement. If he does that there is 0% chance of going back to NE.

Might be a shadow roster move.

What I'm thinking is that Foster who is a placeholder for Lewis at present, may well be our 5th receiver, depending on Dion's health and progress.

Don't forget Foster played WR his last year at ASU, and they run the spread.

What I'm thinking is that Foster who is a placeholder for Lewis at present, may well be our 5th receiver, depending on Dion's health and progress.

Don't forget Foster played WR his last year at ASU, and they run the spread.

Yup, and White could help out too.

Yup, and White could help out too.

One can line up for blitz pickup (Foster looked at least capable at that during the preseason) and one a receiver.

Although I don't think they'll retry that experiment so soon...DJ's skills are best utilized as RB. He'll be blanketed by most NFL CBs.

Thought you couldn't cut an injured player

Keshawn Martin must have been waived/injured in my opinion. We saw this designation last year with A.J. Derby, and a couple years ago with Dane Fletcher. This year Michael Williams, Tyler Gaffney, Darryl Roberts and Kevin Snyder were waived/injured.

-- After the first cut-down day teams can use the waived/injured designation, or they can place a player directly on Injured Reserve.

-- NFL players receive 1/17th of their salary each week during the regular season. Players on injured reserve receive 1/17th of their salary each week they're on IR during the season.

Players might not receive their full salary while on IR because many non-vested players have split contracts. Players on split contracts receive their full salary if they are on the 53-man roster, and a lower split if they are on injured reserve. For example, for a rookie making the league minimum, the difference would be 1/17th of $450,000 each week on the active roster and 1/17th of $330,000 each week on IR.

-- After a player is waived/injured, the player and the team have five days to agree to an injury settlement. An injury settlement is designed for the player to be paid by the team for the time he would have been expected to miss with the injury.

If a settlement is reached the player then becomes a free agent and can sign with any other team immediately. If a settlement is not reached the player then goes on the team's injured reserve list. A player on IR cannot then be waived until he passes a physical.

-- In the case of a short-term injury it is typically in the best interest of both the team and the player to reach an injury agreement.

With a settlement, the team can pay a lump sum to cover the weeks the player would have missed due to the injury, and then cut the player. If the player remains on the injured reserve, the team is responsible for paying his salary each week.

For the player a settlement allows him to collect compensation for his injury while also immediately being able to seek opportunities with other teams.

-- An injury settlement does not automatically occur. If the player suffers a long-term injury he would have little incentive to pursue an injury settlement. And if a player is in a team's future plans, the team would like to retain the player by placing him on injured reserve.

In some cases the two sides simply cannot reach a settlement. In those cases the player would be placed on injured reserve and then most likely waived once he passes his physical.

-- In the past, teams were not able to re-sign waived/injured players until the injury settlement time period plus six additional weeks had passed. A new rule instituted this year has reduced the waiting period to the injury settlement time period, plus only three additional weeks before a team can re-sign a played that was waived/injured.

According to Jeff Howe:
Keshawn Martin was outright released. The $600,000 signing bonus was the most the Pats have surrendered in first year of deal since 2012.

Man he is a JAG, I don't get the love some here have for this guy. Ok he was a nice mid season pickup (actually early in the season) but that's what he is. You don't plan going into a season with Keysahwn Martin as a receiver unless he is your #5 and even so there's got to be someone with more upside that has been cut from other teams.

Man he is a JAG, I don't get the love some here have for this guy. Ok he was a nice mid season pickup (actually early in the season) but that's what he is. You don't plan going into a season with Keysahwn Martin as a receiver unless he is your #5 and even so there's got to be someone with more upside that has been cut from other teams.

While I agree with the first part of you post, that last sentence really doesn't take into account the complexity of the NE playbook. Picking up someone else for WR would mean we can't hope to use them for most of this season at best.

Some pickups were able to make contributions quickly. Martin was an example last year. But he was hurt a lot. Seemed to be hurt a lot again this summer.
I think it was how he seemed to pick up the routes quickly that gave some (myself) hope he could grow more with time. That clearly did not happen.

While I agree with the first part of you post, that last sentence really doesn't take into account the complexity of the NE playbook. Picking up someone else for WR would mean we can't hope to use them for most of this season at best.

Martin himself picked our system quickly. The cerebral guys that will run complex plays are already in place in Edelman and Dola (and Hogan is probably in the plans ) so these back of the roster pickups are going to execute simple things and for that I think you can invest in something with more quality and more reliable.

This was a surprising move to me given that many on this board picked the Pats to have at least six WRs (does not count Slater) given that three of our main receiving targets (Edelman, Amendola, Gronk) are injury prone and another guy who currenlty is injured (Mitchell). I figured if there was any season to splurge on receivers it was this one.

I know, guys like White and Foster help.

This was a surprising move to me given that many on this board picked the Pats to have at least six WRs (does not count Slater) given that three of our main receiving targets (Edelman, Amendola, Gronk) are injury prone and another guy who currenlty is injured (Mitchell). I figured if there was any season to splurge on receivers it was this one.

I know, guys like White and Foster help.
I agree, it does strike me as a little bit odd. Of all four of our guys Hogan, Edelman, Amendola and Mitchell, only Hogan appears to be fully healthy - - and even he was dinged with a shoulder issue somewhat recently.

I have to imagine McDaniels will feature Gronk, Bennett, Derby/Harbor, plus Foster and White in the pass game. That may actually be smart... 3 TEs, plus White (or Blount) and Foster on the left and right of Jimmy. You could run the no-huddle out of this set and keep the RBs in for pass pro to pass to the TEs, or split everyone out and go 5-wide, or keep everyone in and go power run to Foster or Blount...

We have 8 WRs and TEs which is the norm for us.
Since 2 TE will be our base offense and we may well have 2 TE in on 3rd down we have one extra TE and 1 fewer WR than other years when we didn't have a TE centric passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft