SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Kenbrell Thompkins

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by tonyto3690, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Brady6

Brady6 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,882
    ---
    I'm sure they've had Thompkins working hard in the weight room to add a little weight and improve on his only real weakness which was the 8 reps on the bench.

It is also worth noting Thompkins results were from the NFL combine and Blackmon's were from a pro day, generally the combine results are held to a higher standard.

2. Brady6

Ratings:
    +6,882
    ---
    Johnson's 3-cone was really poor huh?

3. primetime

primetime Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,806
    ---
    Dobson scares me because he can't beat a jam and was getting outmuscled by corners half his size last night, while Amendola may be the first receiver in NFL history with 150 catches this year. He's never leaving the field unless he gets hurt. Thompkins might end up being the next most productive guy.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,534
    ---
    Almost identical except for the one that isn't which is the most important one to the Patriots. I can't stress enough how very good that 6.88 number is for a WR who seems to "get it". Combine Thompkins' addition with Dobson's size and Boyce's even better athleticism (6.68 3 cone) and the grand experiment of taking the league's top scoring team, swapping out all WR other than Edelman and continuing on as if nothing happened seems to have a decent chance to work.

5. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,788
    ---
    Lol. I'm not a big combine guy but that's terrible right? He probably was goofing off. :D

6. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,833
    ---
    I'm guessing he had trouble counting the cones.

7. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    ---
    And in a perfect world right as teams start to adjust Gronk comes back.

I really think Vereen is going to be the single most important offensive weapon next to Amendola this year too.

8. Brady6

Ratings:
    +6,882
    ---
    :lol2:

The thing I loved about Thompkins his he was really physical working against the DB's; Johnson was only physical with his girlfriends :violent:

9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,096
    ---
    Until he practices, he's eligible for in-season PUP. Using the "Designated-for-return" IR on him would be, as you suggest, a waste.

10. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,096
    ---
    Key fact: Thompkins is one of the older rookies in the NFL, at 25.

Hernandez was the youngest player in the entire NFL his rookie season (and GRONK the third-youngest), and still, IIRC, the youngest Patriot in 2011.

11. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +22
    ---
    I dunno. Let's ask Drew Bledsoe.

12. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +22
    ---
    You should stop listening to Gary Tanguay and look at season ending injuries rather than games missed. Amendola and Welker have each had one season ending injury. Welker's happened week 17. Had it happened week one, welker would have missed a whole season.

Broken bones generally are not indicative to injury prone. Repeated joint issues are IMO.

13. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    ---
    Really?

He's missed more games than he's started.

He is injury prone.

Don't be ridiculous. EVERY time he's been asked to carry an increased workload (significantly less than what welker has the past five years) he's gotten hurt. Pretending that he's suddenly going to not only match the increased workload he has never been able to handle in his career but increase it even further is just completely asinine.

14. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,693
    ---
    Here's the conundrum that's bothered me for a while:

- We all know that rookie WRs seldom make a huge splash in the NFL. The position requires enormous adjustment from the college game, and thus time to develop.

- BUT...WRs who develop that precious mind meld with Tom Brady generally show it immediately. They either click in or they don't.

Welker and Moss, Gronkowski and HeWhoShallNotBeNamed had it right away; Price, Tate and the Chads never showed a glimmer of it. And the borderline cases, like Gaffney and Lloyd, generally remained just ok. We haven't seen a slow-but-steady development curve since David Givens.

At this early juncture, it looks like the Pats may have found two Brady "clicks" in Amendola and Thompkins, and three "ok" fits in Dobson, Boyce and Sudfeld, all in one offseason. That would be an absolutely spectacular yield. Crossing fingers and toes.

15. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss 28-3.... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,456
    ---
    yup...and it seems so far thompkins and dobson are almost there. Ammendola is there

16. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,833
    ---
    Yup, Tom just has to have a little patience with these guys. Might not beat some teams 38-10 like we do quite often because of small mistakes. But, by the end of the year might be better suited to play against bigger, tougher defenses.

17. Big-T

Big-T Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,948
    ---
    What if his injuries came from, oh, let's say utterly horrendous QB play with passes that just hung him out to dry - like I've seen some Rams fans suggest was the case?

How often does Brady lead a receiver straight into a monster bone crushing hit?

18. Froob

Froob Independent Investigator & pliable af PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,288
    ---
    While true, I think Amendola has unique skills that the rest of the core don't really have. Guy can catch anything thrown his way. Don't know why people would think he'd get benched.

19. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,022
    ---
    Reminder: Amendola and Welker have had the same number of season-ending injuries. Amendola had his week 1; Welker had his week 17. That skews games played a ton.

20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,534
    ---
    I'm sure Bill has reminded Tom to take the long road approach here. Things could be a little spotty the first half of the season with Gronk likely out and the rookies making good and bad plays. But they're getting a ton of time now and by midseason we'll have 87 back and the WR will likely be where they need to be. Due to the lack of competition in the division, a 4-4 start would leave us in good shape and we should be clicking in the second half assuming no more than league average injuries.

The other positive "side effect" is none of these WR or Gronk will be FA until at least 2017 or so. I think Tom came in realizing that patience and positive reinforcement will help later this season and set him up with a consistent group of skill guys until he's 40.