PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just Imagine if Gronk... Grassy Knoll Super Merge

Status
Not open for further replies.
...had broken White's neck. Just ponder the magnitude of that for a few seconds.

How he only got one game for that attack would be baffling, aside from knowing that Goodell is an all-over-the-map incompetent buffoon when it comes to handing out punishments.

And to deny that there is a very real possibility that could've happened by a 6'7" 270 pound man driving his bodyweight into the back of an unsuspecting person's head and neck is just foolish. Remember the Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident in the NHL. Moore got 3 fractured verterbrae from a punch from behind that didn't even look that dangerous. The difference - Moore was up skating and Bertuzzi was 6'3" 229. White was laying prone and Gronk is 6'7" 270.

I don't think you all realize how lucky Gronk is - not that he only got one game, but that he's not headed for a prison cell. Should've been put down for the year...or at least until after the matchup against the Steelers in two weeks. That would have sufficed.

On Monday night, we saw a fairly routine tackle, made with poor form, nearly paralyze a guy. And that's what makes all these hypotheticals so stupid. By that standard, there are a hundred-plus almost-murderers taking the field every Sunday. We might as well ban Kiko Alonso for life because the late hit that KOed Joe Flacco hypothetically could have killed him. I didn't, but it could have. Everyone who's ever punched anyone in the face should be imprisoned for attempted murder right now, because it's entirely possible to kill someone with one punch. Go watch this clip, and keep in mind that all of these hits happened just last season:

Any one of them theoretically could have killed the guy receiving the hit if a series of things that didn't happen had happened. ****, with that mentality you should be terrified every time you leave the house because just think of all the really morbid ways you could die. Or we could just be reasonable here and operate in the realm of what did happen, or even what the reasonably likely potential outcomes are, of which White breaking his neck is not one of them.

Gronk acted stupidly and inexcusably, and fully deserved the suspension he got, but FFS launching off into hypothetical tangents doesn't make this whole exercise any less hysterical or irrational.

Palm Beach and Koma,

Nice research and these stats are certainly relevant to the discussion, but to have a more meticulously specific reverse-extrapolation of the applicable winning % comparisons would require the dissemination of the combined records of the Bills/Jets/Phins against the rest of the NFL excluding New England. And the same for Cleve/Cinc/Balt excluding Pit games.

But I think that would just be getting down into nit-pickery. Again, you can only play the teams on your schedule, and Pit and NE both handle their division business well.

On Monday night, we saw a fairly routine tackle, made with poor form, nearly paralyze a guy. And that's what makes all these hypotheticals so stupid. By that standard, there are a hundred-plus almost-murderers taking the field every Sunday. We might as well ban Kiko Alonso for life because the late hit that KOed Joe Flacco hypothetically could have killed him. I didn't, but it could have. Everyone who's ever punched anyone in the face should be imprisoned for attempted murder right now, because it's entirely possible to kill someone with one punch. Go watch this clip, and keep in mind that all of these hits happened just last season:

Any one of them theoretically could have killed the guy receiving the hit if a series of things that didn't happen had happened. ****, with that mentality you should be terrified every time you leave the house because just think of all the really morbid ways you could die. Or we could just be reasonable here and operate in the realm of what did happen, or even what the reasonably likely potential outcomes are, of which White breaking his neck is not one of them.

Gronk acted stupidly and inexcusably, and fully deserved the suspension he got, but FFS launching off into hypothetical tangents doesn't make this whole exercise any less hysterical or irrational.

What happened with Shazier is just one of those freak tragedies we see in football every 5-10 years or so. What separates the Gronk meltdown from Kiko and these other "dirty" hits is that it was not during game play, but well after the whistle. I don't think anyone is saying Gronk is a bad guy or even a dirty player (Burfict falls more in that category), but he obviously snapped. And when you snap at 6'7" 270, carnage can ensue. Let's face it - if a punter did that, it would be on blooper reels and everyone would have a laugh. But a man of Gronk's size should be more cognizant of the damage he can do.

I'm not saying he should be locked up or prosecuted, etc., but what he did should be treated more severely than an in-play hit, regardless of whether or not it was a good guy who just snapped. If a man snaps and pushes another man off of a roof, and the victim is miraculously unscathed, does that excuse the maliciousness of what was done?

Palm Beach and Koma,

Nice research and these stats are certainly relevant to the discussion, but to have a more meticulously specific reverse-extrapolation of the applicable winning % comparisons would require the dissemination of the combined records of the Bills/Jets/Phins against the rest of the NFL excluding New England. And the same for Cleve/Cinc/Balt excluding Pit games.

But I think that would just be getting down into nit-pickery. Again, you can only play the teams on your schedule, and Pit and NE both handle their division business well.

The AFC East has been represented in the conference championship game for 8 consecutive seasons and 9 of 10, and only 2 one and dones by the division champion in the past 10 years. There’s a good reason for that, and the same is true for the fact no other division in the league can say the same.

It has certainly helped that Buf/Ny/MIA have not found a legit QB during that time frame but if thats all it was to the Patriots success- they would be exposed and eliminated very quickly in the playoffs. That is clearly not the case. Too many uninformed fans think otherwise.

It is also interesting that the AFC East has handed the Patriots 2 or more regular season losses for 10 of the past 16 seasons. Clearly they are not the pushovers they are made to be.

Palm Beach and Koma,

Just thank your lucky stars that the Pats aren't in the AFC North otherwise the Squealers would be nothing more than the Jets.

What happened with Shazier is just one of those freak tragedies we see in football every 5-10 years or so. What separates the Gronk meltdown from Kiko and these other "dirty" hits is that it was not during game play, but well after the whistle. I

Do you know this for a fact? That it was “well after the whistle”? Cause I’ve seen reports that the whistle had not blown at all and I could not hear it when the play happened,

What happened with Shazier is just one of those freak tragedies we see in football every 5-10 years or so. What separates the Gronk meltdown from Kiko and these other "dirty" hits is that it was not during game play, but well after the whistle. I don't think anyone is saying Gronk is a bad guy or even a dirty player (Burfict falls more in that category), but he obviously snapped. And when you snap at 6'7" 270, carnage can ensue. Let's face it - if a punter did that, it would be on blooper reels and everyone would have a laugh. But a man of Gronk's size should be more cognizant of the damage he can do.

I'm not saying he should be locked up or prosecuted, etc., but what he did should be treated more severely than an in-play hit, regardless of whether or not it was a good guy who just snapped. If a man snaps and pushes another man off of a roof, and the victim is miraculously unscathed, does that excuse the maliciousness of what was done?

It wasn't after the whistle.

And despite your fruitless efforts Gronk is playing next week.

It wasn't after the whistle.

And despite your fruitless efforts Gronk is playing next week.
And fortunately Tre'Davious White is likely playing this week.

Legally, the outcome does go towards determining the punishment. If you snap and push someone off the roof and kill him, that's manslaughter or murder (if premeditated). But if you do the exact same thing and the guy lands completely unscathed, then it's little more than simple assault.

Last edited:
Do you know this for a fact? That it was “well after the whistle”? Cause I’ve seen reports that the whistle had not blown at all and I could not hear it when the play happened,
Would you trust anything he has said as fact? He has been wrong on so many things I have lost count.

I just want to quote this post to pat myself on the back.

I predicted that the media ass hats and some driveling trolls would turn this into an attempted murder comparison.

Never challenge my understanding of the melodramatic mediots and the blood lust thirst of the trivial trolls. :D

And fortunately Tre'Davious White is likely playing this week.

Dude! Why are you trying to make light of this situation? What ifs don't hold up well when they are realized as isn'ts.

In the eyes of the law, yeah, it changes the outcome significantly.

Killing someone, and doing something that could have killed someone but actually the person is totally fine, are completely separate things, both in law and in the NFL.

In the eyes of the law, yeah, it changes the outcome significantly.

Killing someone, and doing something that could have killed someone but actually the person is totally fine, are completely separate things, both in law and in the NFL.

Currently. Next year's competition committee will be considering a bunch of "What if" proposals.

What if your face wasn't ugly? :p

Next hypothetical please.

Trying to equate Tom and Ben is crazy, on a factual basis. Any careful analysis rapidly reveals the extreme absurdity of favorably comparing Ben to Tom in any meaningful way.

We showed the dozen or so categories where Brady is clearly better. We destroyed the assertion than Brady's excellence is derived from facing the AFC East.

There is no nit-picking about it. Brady's and Ben's accomplishments are not just comparing apples to oranges, they are comparing apples to fence posts.

Of course all Cleveland games are or should be cakewalks, but not so with Cincinnati. The Bengals generally provide healthy competition in regular season games. It's the playoffs where their ineptitude prevails. And not to mention they are a physical and downright dirty team. And there is no need to even expand upon how much of a toll two games against the Ravens takes every year.

But none of this is whining. It is not whining to point out the fact the AFC North is annually regarded as the most physical division in the league, and the East is a year-to-year red carpet to 6 wins for the Pats. All credit to them for taking care of business and into the postseason for yearly AFCG or SB appearances. You can only play who they put in front of you.
C’mon, man. Andy Dalton has won 3x in 14 appearances, yet they play you tough. How is that any different than the Dolphins (who have beat us 3/4 past games in Miami), or the Jets (who recently had quite the streak of one score or less games against us)?

I don’t know about right now, but a few weeks ago the AFC East was the division that provided the best overall winning percentage in the league. You had the Dolphins winning in 2008, and the Jets went to the AFCCG in 2009 and 2010. The only real cakewalk in this division seems to be the Bills and they’re battling for a wildcard spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft