PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

just a thought (little dropoff 1st->2nd round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Not sure if it was mentioned at all in any of "The Trade" topics, but it seems to me (not a draft guru) that after the top 10 players or so, that everyone else grades out about the same till the first third of the second round.

With that thought in mind, it seems your getting the same quality player at 34 as you would at say 15 or 20 in the first, just alot cheaper.

Does anyone feel the same?

re: just a thought (little dropoff 1st->2nd round)

In this draft there's not a lot of drop-off from the middle of the first to the middle of the second.

In this draft there's not a lot of drop-off from the middle of the first to the middle of the second.

just curious but according to who?

From about 20-about 50 and possibly as far down as 75, there isn't much drop off. Honestly. That being said, I think this draft is RIPE for a LOT of head scratchers....

From about 20-about 50 and possibly as far down as 75, there isn't much drop off. Honestly. That being said, I think this draft is RIPE for a LOT of head scratchers....

Care to elaborate?

just curious but according to who?
Mostly patchick (I dare you to call Her on it :D) but Mayock has discussed this too.

with this thought in mind one would think we sit great at 23 and 34 and might even want to move up a little with the other 2s to ensure we get the 3 or 4 guys from that range we most covet.

Well scouts usually say that 2nd round picks have all or most of the physical talents as a 1st round pick, but they are just missing that one thing, that one intangible (spelling?) that doesnt make them a first round pick.

with this thought in mind one would think we sit great at 23 and 34 and might even want to move up a little with the other 2s to ensure we get the 3 or 4 guys from that range we most covet.

Do we? I not sure who comess in and has an immediate impact on the team this year.
I would love an OLB to step up and be this years Mayo, but i don't see anyone who' going to come in and be that much better than who we already have.

Same with Corner, would Butler be that much better than Wheatly or Whilite in their second year.
I think Saftey is possible. Some one could surplant Sanders.I think the Oline can be upgraded in spots. Drafting for it's future.

The pat's are doing what we seen before, and filling their holes before the draft. leaving BPA for the draft.

Do we? I not sure who comess in and has an immediate impact on the team this year.
I would love an OLB to step up and be this years Mayo, but i don't see anyone who' going to come in and be that much better than who we already have.

Same with Corner, would Butler be that much better than Wheatly or Whilite in their second year.
I think Saftey is possible. Some one could surplant Sanders.I think the Oline can be upgraded in spots. Drafting for it's future.

The pat's are doing what we seen before, and filling their holes before the draft. leaving BPA for the draft.
What was Meriweather's immediate impact? Mankins and Seymour are the exceptions, the others all worked part-time while learning.

What was Meriweather's immediate impact? Mankins and Seymour are the exceptions, the others all worked part-time while learning.

The thing is with Meriweather, Maroney, Watson, Wilfork, they were being grommed for there jobs, to be the starter the following year.

Harrison was on his last legs, nearing the end of his contract
Dillion was done
Washington was near the end as well. it helped that Wilfork fell to us.

Would an OLB or Corner from this Draft be able to win that job 1 year down the line, 2 years down the line. We have young talent In Crable, Woods, Wheatly, Whilite.

I Could see and Oline to replace, Neal, Kausar, or Koppen, in a year

I could see A saftely beat out sanders

All this said 23 doesn't represant great value.

The thing is with Meriweather, Maroney, Watson, Wilfork, they were being grommed for there jobs, to be the starter the following year.

Dillion was done

Would an OLB or Corner from this Draft be able to win that job 1 year down the line, 2 years down the line. We have young talent In Crable, Woods, Wheatly, Whilite.

Yes, but Meriweather wasn't changing positions, he was just re-training for a more demanding job doing the same thing. Warren, Wilfork, Maroney, Mayo all are essentially playing the same positions they played in college with adjustments for new techniques and standards - and OLB in NE's 3-4 is usually a major change from a prospect's college role. That's why I don't look for a Barwin or English or even a Matthews who did have some exposure there to make a one year translation.

This draft is unique. I do not see any true blue chip prospects, however I think there is a core of 5-10 really good red chippers and then a massive bunch of slightly lesser red chippers (20-40 guys)

I see guys drafted in the second round of this draft being able to contribute as well as guys drafted in the #10-#15 slots. They are that close together. The key is which prospects land in systems that play to their strengths.

Care to elaborate?
I think that, because of the depth of talent, we are going to see players taken early that many people will say they should be 2nd or 3rd rounders. And there will be players who we thought were first rounders who fall way down into the second and third rounds. Usually its one or two players. But I have a feeling its going to be a lot more this year.

Dillion was done

We took Meriweather at 24. He was the last of the big 4 safeties in that year's draft however. I rank most of this year's safeties in round 2. Delmas might be worth reaching for, but he's more of a high 2nd pick. I don't think the Pats really need an additional 3rd round pick this year so there's not much benefit to trading down from #23 either.

Just take the best player on your board. Grin and bear it. For me that guy's Barwin who I suspect might not get past the 3-4 teams drafting behind the Pats in the 1st round.

I've read that most NFL people believe this is a really deep draft and depending on who you ask there are 37-39 prospects with a 1st Rd grade this year.

I've read that most NFL people believe this is a really deep draft and depending on who you ask there are 37-39 prospects with a 1st Rd grade this year.

it's true. It coincides with the record number of underclassmen coming out this year.

I just have a gut feel we are going to trade the first rounder for 2010 and stock pile. with three 2nd rounders and potentially 2 3rd (Samuel) It's a cheaper alternative

I just have a gut feel we are going to trade the first rounder for 2010 and stock pile. with three 2nd rounders and potentially 2 3rd (Samuel) It's a cheaper alternative

Why?? In a deep draft when you're picking late best thing to do is make those "cheaper" picks and lock up talented players in "cheap" cap deals.

very true. but all I am saying is that it is quite possible that we trade the first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back