PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman getting reps as RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can he rush the passer?

Trying him a RB makes sense seeing how crowded WR is.

NFL.com has Edelman at 5'10 198 pounds. He has the size to play the position to become an elusive-type back.

He's identical size to rookies C.J Spiller (5'11 196 pounds) and
Jahvid Best (5'10 199 pounds)

Getting the ball in this guys hands as much as you can is a smart move by the Patriots, as he is awesome in the open field. I hope people don't get the idea that he is a RB though, he's not big enough to take the pounding. I can see him in the backfield a few times a game though, depending on if he can pick up the blitz. This would add another dimension to the offense that would definitely put the D on their heels.

could this be a move to get extra value out of the 7 or so WRs we may end up carrying?

Don't forget special teams. Will his nickname become, "The 60 Minute Man"?

Well we do need a left guard... all you, Edelman!

I know many here will attest to the predictability of the Patriots offense last year. Edelman getting practice reps at RB is a good sign just for this reason. I would place him as a top 4 reciever on the team (including the TE's), so there is no doubt in my mind that he will be catching a lot of passes this season. So BB plugging him in at HB is more than just trying to find a place to put him... he is a valuable player that BB sees as a viable threat at other positions.

On another note, it is AMAZING that a 7th round QB masters the WR position in just a year. I know that "master" is a strong word, but considering that he will play a big role on this team, he is having reps at WR taken away in place of reps at RB. If a 2nd year guy who is a lock to make the team isn't getting as much time at WR as many would expect, he must have a pretty good grasp of the playbook and mechanics it takes to be effective. From the day this guy showed up to camp, it was obvious how sick his work ethic is.

Getting the ball in this guys hands as much as you can is a smart move by the Patriots, as he is awesome in the open field. I hope people don't get the idea that he is a RB though, he's not big enough to take the pounding. I can see him in the backfield a few times a game though, depending on if he can pick up the blitz. This would add another dimension to the offense that would definitely put the D on their heels.

(A) As noted above, he's about the same size as CJ Spiller.
(B) Also, I think people see him more in a Kevin Faulk-style role than a Corey Dillon-type role. ;)

I wouldn't want him lining up there on 1st and 10, 2nd and 6, or 3rd and 2. But lining up there on 1st and 20? Or on 3rd and 9? Why not? It can't be any worse than when we routinely came out in gorram five wide sets last year, making me want to gauge my eyes out.

At the worst, he likely has the feistyness (if not the technique) to chip a speed rusher on the edge then go out for a pass in the flats. Add in that at least the threat of being able to take a draw up the middle and you have a MUCH more dynamic formation than the same damn five wide we used over and over and over... :enranged:

(A) As noted above, he's about the same size as CJ Spiller.
(B) Also, I think people see him more in a Kevin Faulk-style role than a Corey Dillon-type role. ;)

Exactly, but I don't think it would be impossible for him to be a 1st/2nd down RB (hell, if BB thought it was reasonable to try him out at RB, I'll think it's reasonable for him to be an early down RB). Our OL would have to start making some holes, but I think he could get through the line very quickly. Although, admittedly, his skill set does appear to be more of the 3rd down back variety.

If you're worried about injury, try to remember how this kid can move. As far as avoiding tackles in a closed space, I think he rivals/exceeds Welker's ability. Welker lives in Linebacker Land and the only time he's been seriously hurt it was not a contact-related injury.

The one big problem I see with Edelman running the football, is that he may make Maroney look like a north/south runner, but I'm very intrigued by this idea.

The one big problem I see with Edelman running the football, is that he may make Maroney look like a north/south runner, but I'm very intrigued by this idea.

Remember, though, that he had over 1,500 yards rushing as a senior. . . .

Imagine if Edelman becomes a key part to our running game in the years to come or even a starter? He would be a finesse (CJ spiller) type back. That would be a weird outcome for a 7th round QB turned WR and finally turned RB.

What this ultimately tells me is that BB sees that the WR position is going to be very deep and is looking for ways to get Edelman on the field more often. RB is a good role for him as he is dangerous, in his own right, in space and is also a threat to throw the ball.

I still cant stop thinking about his 4th and 7 play in the playoffs. What initially looked like he was stopped for a loss only he turned it into a 1st down. Play was called back for IIRC holding. He juked out at least 5 different Ravens including Ray Ray. It was unbelievable effort and got me thinking about his ability to stay on his feet and fight for more yardage. Wish Maroney learns from him. The guy is dangerous when he is on the loose.

Chris Johnson: 5'11", 191lbs

Julian Edelman: 5'10", 198lbs

Just saying.

As a matter of fact, Edelman supposedly added a few more pounds of muscle during the offseason, so he's probably a bit over 200 now (assuming that the 198 was accurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots