PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Norman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooky97

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If he did come here, what would everyone feel about it?

Mods - Feel free to move to the correct area if there is one

i think hes a solid, smart CB, that is very outspoken and expensive.

those last two will make the fan base hate him until he wins a superbowl.

It's certainly an interesting one to look out for. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.. sadly don't think anything will, unless we can lower his cap

The last one is enough to make this a hypothetical exercise. It's not up there with bringing in Cousins as Brady's backup but it might as well be.

i like him of course, but way too expensive

AKA the Gilmore effect.

La Confora pimping this idea - which for cap purposes is simply not going to happen.

Here's La Canfora expanding on is speculation:

Bill Belichick is clearly in win-now mode and he lost a Super Bowl primarily because he couldn't find any way to stop Foles. Sitting Malcolm Butler backfired and he's going to leave for big money as a free agent. Finding any help for the pass rush will be difficult outside of the draft and that secondary needs help even with Stephon Gilmore getting paid a year ago. They can rent Norman year to year at this stage of the contract and his full guarantees have been paid. He's not a happy camper in DC and clashing with the front office and Washington already dealt one corner for Alex Smith so why not unload 'em all! But seriously, Belichick is never afraid to wheel and deal and the Skins needs picks and New England has had mixed results with this stuff in the past.

While a third round pick seems like pennies to get a guy of Norman's stature, he'll cost quite a bit over the next few years. The 30-year-old is in the midst of a 5-year, $75 million deal that is set to pay him $13.5 million in base salary in 2018 with a cap hit of just under $17 million.
CBS Sports insider suggests Josh Norman trade for Patriots

We have a better chance of paying for Alan Robinson than trading for Norman and neither will happen.

We have invested significant money into Gilmore (worth it so far), and if we are not going to pay Butler we certainly won't take on another high contract CB like Norman or Sherman.

Josh Norman turns 31 this season.

His cap hits for the Pats would be:
... 2018 = $14M
... 2019 = $11.5M
... 2020 = $12.5M

The Pats currently have $16.3M in free cap space with Solder, Lewis, Burkhead, Amendola and several other currently players unsigned - and numerous needs on defense beyond CB.

We’ve already invested a ton of money into Gilmore. The answer will probably be Rowe on the outside, the Jones brothers at Nickel and dime, and a draft choice. If they’re going to invest their money anywhere on the defense for an FA, it’s going to be on the DL.

We’ve already invested a ton of money into Gilmore. The answer will probably be Rowe on the outside, the Jones brothers at Nickel and dime, and a draft choice. If they’re going to invest their money anywhere on the defense for an FA, it’s going to be on the DL.

God please invest heavily in the front seven. And God please don't leave us with just Rowe and Jones for CB2.

We have invested significant money into Gilmore (worth it so far), and if we are not going to pay Butler we certainly won't take on another high contract CB like Norman or Sherman.
I predict Sherman gets cut in Seattle and because of his injury he signs a one year deal here to prove he can bounce back before he tries to land one last bigger deal.

I dont think we have big needs on the secondary in spite of the yards we gave up in the SB, the inability to rush the passer or create a minimum havoc in the middle is the problem. Foles didn't even sweat in the game and that's ridiculous, he could have put a fancy suit and gone to the party right after stepping back in the Eagles locker room. No shower needed.

I'm sure we will draft a CB. Isn't this year supposed to be a good draft in terms of CBs?

I'm sure we will draft a CB. Isn't this year supposed to be a good draft in terms of CBs?

"Good draft" can mean a couple of different things depending on the perspective of the analyst. Some analysts will rate a draft with 4-5 "potential ProBowlers" and 15-20 other prospects who are "meh" as a "good draft" for that position.

Others would rate a draft with 1-2 top prospects and another dozen who could be pretty decent as a "good draft".

If it's the latter, that means that the Pats might be able to pick up a very good developmental candidate as late as the 3rd or 4th round.

If it's the former type of "good draft", another UDFA or two might have as much chance to succeed as a late 2nd-rounder.

I predict Sherman gets cut in Seattle and because of his injury he signs a one year deal here to prove he can bounce back before he tries to land one last bigger deal.

I dont think there is a big contract for a 31 year old CB (in 2 years) out there. Even Revis was 29 when he signed that final Jets contract.

I think it is more likely that he signs a 4y contract with a lot of incentives in the first two years that can be terminated for cheap at each of those two years. But would be happy to be wrong about that and get a cheap year of Sherman here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes