PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels and a first round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
We forfeit our pick, not a pick we traded for.
We forfeit the highest pick we have. If we trade for a higher pick we lose that one.

Mcdaniels isnt going to Cleveland,Indy, SF,Miami?
My thought is the only oganization. That could lure Mcdaniels away would be the Giants.
Still close enough to not move the family,
Storied tradition, out of the division and conference.
Good ownership and shown to commit to coaches.
Coughlin isnt getting any younger if he leaves its for that job.
It might not be next season it could be the following.
Or we could just make him a very rich man and name him assistant coach and hold the keys for when BB steps down
Its not a bad gig at all to have.
San Diego would be a heck of a darkhorse job.
Beautiful weather strong offense on hand out of the conference wouldnt shock me.
Dallas?
I dont think Josh would step in that freakshow

I remember reading recently that there is language in the penalty handed down by goodell that states the pats Can't trade for a 1st round pick in the up-coming draft.

They can't trade for a higher pick but they can trade for a player that has been picked, that's the loophole. Unfortunately that has been lost in people thinking the thread was about MacDaniels rather than realizing that was just the example. I structured it poorly and that led to people discussing the example instead of the point. The Patriots can do an end run around the sanction by having the trade partner make the pick.

The Pats only have one 1st round pick. If they get any other 1st round pick it would have to be someone else's.

Not to speak for Miguel, but I believe when the idea of trading for someone else's pick was raised before, he said the cap would prevent the Pats from doing that.

Future years should be in play though.

I must really be doing a bad job of explaining this because I'm not saying they can trade for higher first round pick, I am saying that they can make a deal where another team picks a player they want and then they trade Garrapolo for that player. So they cannot trade for the eighth pick overall but they could have the team with that pick take the player they want and then trade Garrapolo for that player. I would find it odd if the league created a situation where teams could never do that.

Last edited:
The other 30 would shun the owner who did that with the Pats.
Oh, the ballsy owner could not care less?
My bad.

I must really be doing a bad job of explaining this because I'm not saying they can trade for higher first round pick, I am saying that they can make a deal where another team picks a player they want and then they trade Garrapolo for that player. So they cannot trade for the eighth pick overall but they could have the team with that pick take the player they want and then trade Garrapolo for that player. I would find it odd if the league created a situation where teams could never do that.

Even if it is a loophole and the Pats were able to acquire a player picked by another team, I think the Pats would still not have the cap space to sign the player since the rookie cap is based on the draft picks a team has.

The other 30 would shun the owner who did that with the Pats.
Oh, the ballsy owner could not care less?
My bad.

It's the best f.ck you I could come up with for Goodell and Co.

Even if it is a loophole and the Pats were able to acquire a player picked by another team, I think the Pats would still not have the cap space to sign the player since the rookie cap is based on the draft picks a team has.

I'm not sure about that, I think you inherit that cap space when you trade for the player.

Slightly more accurately, it's based on the draft picks a team uses. This is why trading for a drafted rookie is rare. Not impossible, but rare.

So, the issue with Ivan's suggestion is not that it is absolutely impossible, but that it would cost the Patriots several of their late-round drafted rookies, because they simply wouldn't be able to afford them in the rookie cap.

Slightly more accurately, it's based on the draft picks a team uses. This is why trading for a drafted rookie is rare. Not impossible, but rare.

So, the issue with Ivan's suggestion is not that it is absolutely impossible, but that it would cost the Patriots several of their late-round drafted rookies, because they simply wouldn't be able to afford them in the rookie cap.

If you are right CT it may still be the best way to go if they could get a stud Cb. Appreciate the input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes