PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels and a first round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
It's looking more and more like Josh MacDaniels is going to be one if of not the hottest coaches on the market for a head coach position when the season ends, and if I were to bet on where he lands right now I would say Cleveland. So once again we will be in our yearly "our backup for your first rounder" discussion, and if it it's the Browns we are most likely talking about a top 5 pick. MacDaniels is a coach who really believed he can make any QB great, this his first round choice of Tim Tebow, and he also knows his success will largely rest who his QB is, so our discussion will be about whether or not he would use his high first rounder on Jimmy Garrapolo, and given their time together I would argue that he would give the Patriots their high first rounder for a QB be has been grooming the past couple of years.

Here it comes......Not so fast people will argue, Troy Vincent and Roger Goodell took the Patriots first rounder and made it impossible for the Patriots to trade up for one by taking the higher pick......ouch, that sucks! Fortunately for the Patriots and Patriot fans however the combined intellectual might of Vincent and Goodell couldn't hoist a dollar bill and they left a great big loophole for Belichick to hop right through. It's true, the Patriots cannot make a trade for the Browns pick in the draft, they made sure of that, but that doesn't mean they can't make a trade with MacDaniels where he actually picks the top shutdown corner in the draft and then trades him to New England for Jimmy G.

OOPS....suck on that NYJNFL.

Last edited:
Yeah but can we then trade Garoppolo to McDaniels for Cleveland's 2nd rounder? We could also resign Mallett and Hoyer and trade them for 2nd round picks too? I think Kevin OConnell is still kicking around out there so maybe we can get something for him too in this deal? Let me know what you think.

I was talking to friends about this, I said the Pats should acquire the number 1 pick just so the World can here Goodell say the #1 pick has been forfeited and the #2 pick is on the clock. Not having a #1 pick doesn't look good for the NFL.

Yeah but can we then trade Garoppolo to McDaniels for Cleveland's 2nd rounder? We could also resign Mallett and Hoyer and trade them for 2nd round picks too? I think Kevin OConnell is still kicking around out there so maybe we can get something for him too in this deal? Let me know what you think.

While I used MacDaniels and The Browns as an example that's all it was, my real point is that the Patriots can actually trade for a first rounder and do an end run around the league sanctions by having the trade partner pick the player and then finish the trade.

I hope Kraft pays McDaniels big bucks to stay since coaches' salary don't count against the cap.

Nobody is giving McD GM privledges right off the bat again. Not sure somebody is even giving a high first for Garropollo yet.

I was talking to friends about this, I said the Pats should acquire the number 1 pick just so the World can here Goodell say the #1 pick has been forfeited and the #2 pick is on the clock. Not having a #1 pick doesn't look good for the NFL.

We forfeit our pick, not a pick we traded for.

It's looking more and more like Josh MacDaniels is going to be one if of not the hottest coaches on the market for a head coach position when the season ends, and if I were to bet on where he lands right now I would say Cleveland. So once again we will be in our yearly "our backup for your first rounder" discussion, and if it it's the Browns we are most likely talking about a top 5 pick. MacDaniels is a coach who really believed he can make any QB great, this his first round choice of Tim Tebow, and he also knows his success will largely rest who his QB is, so our discussion will be about whether or not he would use his high first rounder on Jimmy Garrapolo, and given their time together I would argue that he would give the Patriots their high first rounder for a QB be has been grooming the past couple of years.

Here it comes......Not so fast people will argue, Troy Vincent and Roger Goodell took the Patriots first rounder and made it impossible for the Patriots to trade up for one by taking the higher pick......ouch, that sucks! Fortunately for the Patriots and Patriot fans however the combined intellectual might of Vincent and Goodell couldn't hoist a dollar bill and they left a great big loophole for Belichick to hop right through. It's true, the Patriots cannot make a trade for the Browns pick in the draft, they made sure of that, but that doesn't mean they can't make a trade with MacDaniels where he actually picks the top shutdown corner in the draft and then trades him to New England for Jimmy G.

OOPS....suck on that NYJNFL.

Each team has a rookie salary cap allocation based on the players they drafted. If we subsequently acquire a player taken very high in that year's draft, we don't get a rookie salary cap allocation for him. So unless the kid is willing to play for peanuts, we couldn't make it fit with the cap.

McDaniels already said no to the Cleveland job once. He turned down better jobs like Atlanta last season.

I don't know why McDaniels would want to jump to that Cleveland ****show. That's hardly a recipe for success there.

We forfeit our pick, not a pick we traded for.
We forfeit the lowest pick we have in the first round

interesting of @Ivan to disagree with something that is a fact. Care to expand on why you disagree? The post I answered to was not about trading for a player, just about trading for a pick in the first

Last edited:
Per Vincent's letter, we lose the earlier of our own pick or an acquired pick. Was written intentionally that way to avoid the Mayo loophole from 2008.

Thanks for the correction.

I know the Pats are unlikely to do it because of the bad blood it would cause with McDaniel and or Patricia , but considering how the NFL* has been in witch hunt mode against the Pats and been so blatantly unfair to the Pats, I'd like to see the Pats allow McDaniel and Patricia to interview for HC positions with the caveat that any team that signs them must relinquish their 2017 1st round pick to the Pats.

I'm really tired of playing nice with the rest of the NFL* when they continually penalize the Pats for excellence, and the Pats have spent time and resources in helping develop these coaches be able to be in position to lead another team.

Note - Changed 2016 to 2017, since the 2016 pick was already stolen, but 2017 is intact.

Last edited:
Nobody is giving McD GM privledges right off the bat again. Not sure somebody is even giving a high first for Garropollo yet.

Teams like the Lions or Titans would, imo.

I know the Pats are unlikely to do it because of the bad blood it would cause with McDaniel and or Patricia , but considering how the NFL* has been in witch hunt mode against the Pats and been so blatantly unfair to the Pats, I'd like to see the Pats allow McDaniel and Patricia to interview for HC positions with the caveat that any team that signs them must relinquish their 2016 1st round pick to the Pats.

I'm really tired of playing nice with the rest of the NFL* when they continually penalize the Pats for excellence, and the Pats have spent time and resources in helping these coaches be able to be in position to lead another team.

That would be awesome but unfortunately that can't happen.

I'd like to see the Pats allow McDaniel and Patricia to interview for HC positions with the caveat that any team that signs them must relinquish their 2016 1st round pick to the Pats.

Last I knew teams were not allowed to block their coaches from taking a promotion. Has this changed?

Last I knew teams were not allowed to block their coaches from taking a promotion. Has this changed?

Not sure what the actual rule is, I think it was changed when the Raiders gave up picks for Jon Gruden.

Remember too that the Rats denied the Pats' request to interview BB while Parcells was still the HC.

Since what the league has done to the Pats violates the rules, I'd like the Pats to look for, and use any loophole they could find.

Last edited:

I am simply of the opinion that the Pats should get their picks back from the NFL and an apology. And I do mean BOTH picks; the #1 in 2016 and the #4 in 2017. Personally, I'm seeing more and more people- who are not even Pats fans -discover the ridiculousness of the entire claim and the idiocy of the tyrant who poses an an authority over the league and its fans. "NO," should have been the answer. Let the answer be "NO," now, as well. It seems that every argument stemming from this fiasco begins at the foot of an open door; one that starts with lost picks and outrageous fines. Consider that it does not, and all of it can and should be set right. And if this includes taking on the current idiot in charge (i.e. Goodell), so be it. Let's sack him! :eek: :D

Last edited:
We forfeit the lowest pick we have in the first round

And that's for the 2016 (#1) pick. A 2017 #4 pick is upcoming; one that could land a good player in trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes