PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McD on QB situation - today (Monday 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I have no idea if he will play week 4 or not. The only thing i hope is he gets a chance to show his stuff week 17 cause the Pats are a full game ahead. Also I would encourage Bill to put Jimmy in more at the end of games when up 20 points and 10 minutes left. I think anything we can do to ease snaps away from Brady at 39 when victory is assured is good and anything we can do to show Jimmy off and just get him some more snaps is good regardless if we keep or trade him.

Purely hypothetical, of course, but if he'd put in three games in a row over the next couple of weeks with numbers vaguely in that range, I doubt very much that they would have been looking to trade him.

I think exactly the opposite. If JG continued to play at that level he would ASSURE himself a job elsewhere, as the teams ready to give him a full time starting gig lined up to overcompensate the Patriots for his services. He's well on his way to playing himself out of range for a backup's contract.

I think exactly the opposite. If JG continued to play at that level he would ASSURE himself a job elsewhere, as the teams ready to give him a full time starting gig lined up to overcompensate the Patriots for his services. He's well on his way to playing himself out of range for a backup's contract.

JG's next contract will not be back up money if nothing changed from today...and things will most likely increase his value rather than decrease it...

regardless if we keep JG or not, this is the last contract (this year) that he will be paid as a backup, next year its starting level contract or franchise tag

JG's next contract will not be back up money if nothing changed from today...and things will most likely increase his value rather than decrease it...

regardless if we keep JG or not, this is the last contract (this year) that he will be paid as a backup, next year its starting level contract or franchise tag

He's not a free agent after this year; the Pats still have him under his rookie deal in 2017.

Oddly, if Brissett plays well this week, it may actually lower Grap's trade value and increase the chances that another team throws a mega deal at MCDaniel to coach their team. Got to root for the win though.

I agree. I just don't see that individual adding value. No question being there certainly mitigates the risk.
They would add a hell of a lot more value that playing without a QB.

We should just install a wildcat system it Brissett should go down we could really catch a team off guard.
Of course im joking but it would be hillarious to see the Bills game Brissett goes down then Patriots line up with some crazy package with Edelman Blount White Foster taking turns being a wildcat QB.
To see the look on the Ryans brothers face as the patriots move the ball with ease.

PRICELESS
To see the look on their face as we go 3 and out over and over would be something else.

Hope he took a shower after talking to Mina-sleeze

Minihane is a world class scumbag, he clearly watched how Felger turned being a douchebag contrarian a-hole into a successful career and decided to go him ten better. His sole purpose is to stir as much **** as he possibly can and he will say anything to do just that. I won't be the least bit surprised if Brady ends up cancelling his weekly interviews with WEEI or moving them to the late afternoon rather than having to deal with Minihanes bullsh.t.

Might not inherently mean anything re: Jimmy's status, but could be interpreted as a good sign.

Minihane is a world class scumbag, he clearly watched how Felger turned being a douchebag contrarian a-hole into a successful career and decided to go him ten better. His sole purpose is to stir as much **** as he possibly can and he will say anything to do just that. I won't be the least bit surprised if Brady ends up cancelling his weekly interviews with WEEI or moving them to the late afternoon rather than having to deal with Minihanes bullsh.t.

Yep. I'm ok with him becoming a contrarian but hes said some nasty,disgusting stuff about woman, etc that I just prefer not to listen to.

Shame on WEEI for giving him Dino's spot but whatever....its all about ratings and I get it.

I only listen occasionally to the midday and afternoons once or twice a week so I really don't care.

I'll only add to my original comment that "that is why Belichick gets paid the big bucks."

Providing that happens, sure.
Well you can't go into a game having no backup QB and hope nothing happens.
By that argument you should only carry 1 of every position, and hope.
I'm not sure what you think you are gaining by not having a backup.

i bet the closest source to JG - the man himself - has a different idea...

Is this the same "source" that said yesterday that JG would be out a minimum of 12 weeks?

I think the Patriots are looking at a couple of different options as far as QB for the future goes. The first is trading Garrapolo this coming offseason, and if a team is willing to give a high first they will most likely take the deal and look at developing Brissett as Brady's successor. The second is keeping Garrapolo through his deal, creating a plan of succession where they sign him to a long term deal that is team friendly the first season and becomes a market deal after that. This gives Brady three more years and keeps Garrapolo in a system where he can succeed the way Rodgers has in Green Bay. They have control of him for two more years anyways so he would only be sacrificing one extra season as a starter in return for both the money and the guarantee of succeeding Brady. This scenario however is conditioned upon both Brady being willing to call it quits after 2018, which is doubtful, and Garrapolo being willing to back up Brady a fifth year, which he definitely won't be to keen on. The Patriots however still hold all the cards as they have Brady's rights through 2019 and will be able to franchise Garrapolo in 2018, so they will be calling the shots not the players. Into the most likely scenario is the Patriots Trading Garrapolo after this season, especially if MacDaniels gets a HC job, I doubt they will let it play out through 2017.

I think BB leaves coaching when Brady retires.
I dont want to see Mcdaniels and Garopollo go to a rival.
I see the Bears as a NFC team who would be very interested in moving on From Cutler and Fox.

I think the Patriots are looking at a couple of different options as far as QB for the future goes. The first is trading Garrapolo this coming offseason, and if a team is willing to give a high first they will most likely take the deal and look at developing Brissett as Brady's successor. The second is keeping Garrapolo through his deal, creating a plan of succession where they sign him to a long term deal that is team friendly the first season and becomes a market deal after that. This gives Brady three more years and keeps Garrapolo in a system where he can succeed the way Rodgers has in Green Bay. They have control of him for two more years anyways so he would only be sacrificing one extra season as a starter in return for both the money and the guarantee of succeeding Brady. This scenario however is conditioned upon both Brady being willing to call it quits after 2018, which is doubtful, and Garrapolo being willing to back up Brady a fifth year, which he definitely won't be to keen on. The Patriots however still hold all the cards as they have Brady's rights through 2019 and will be able to franchise Garrapolo in 2018, so they will be calling the shots not the players. Into the most likely scenario is the Patriots Trading Garrapolo after this season, especially if MacDaniels gets a HC job, I doubt they will let it play out through 2017.
You dont trade young Franchise QBs.
You just dont you hold on to him as long as you can and I dont think Mcdaniels is going anywhere.
He seems very loyal to BB.
I think he is the successor.

I think BB leaves coaching when Brady retires.
I dont want to see Mcdaniels and Garopollo go to a rival.
I see the Bears as a NFC team who would be very interested in moving on From Cutler and Fox.
Why would Belechick do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back