PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McD on QB situation - today (Monday 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's the other one aside Edelman?

Derby, and if you want a real longshot, wasn't Jamie Collins a QB? Not sure if that was in college though.

Derby, and if you want a real longshot, wasn't Jamie Collins a QB? Not sure if that was in college though.
Collins is quite the athlete, he's like Lloyd Braun I bet he can do anything he sets his mind to. Probably the most impressive athlete in the game.

Ooh, I forgot about Derby. Given that he has 5 inches and 60 lbs. on Julian and isn't an injury-prone key cog in the Brady offense, he gets my wildly uninformed vote.

A.J., off to the quarterbacks meeting with you! Scoot!

Agreed. Derby for me too as Jules is too valuable in his Squirrel role on offense.
But you KNOW that Edelperson desperately wants to BE his bro, Brady, and would kill (I hope not Tom or anyone on the 53 or coaching staff) to play QB.

I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out. But, if Garoppolo is as good as he looked yesterday for the better part of a half after Josh took the Training Wheels off against a decent defense and if he isn't bit by the Tony Romo Injury-Prone-Bug, then I don't see it playing out well. I wouldn't be the first person to point out, as did Tom Brady's dad among many others, that these transitions are never pretty.

And, we all love to point to the Aaron Rodgers example, but what exactly did he gain from sitting behind Favre those three years?

With all the Flyover Country hype, it's easy to forget that he's 33 years old (Aikman and Bradshaw retired at 34), in his twelfth year in the league and has been to one SB. We can argue until the cows come home the different possible reasons for that, but he's thrown as many TD's in two games this year as Jimmy threw in less than a half yesterday.

I have no idea what the right resolution is, but I don't see this ending well and I certainly don't see JG happily sitting around Foxboro for another year.

Brady cannot be traded before 2019 for cap reasons.

Brady cannot be traded before 2019 for cap reasons.
I get that. I only said that "I have no idea what the right resolution is" and that "I don't see this ending well." You just stated part of the reason for my view.

Ooh, I forgot about Derby. Given that he has 5 inches and 60 lbs. on Julian and isn't an injury-prone key cog in the Brady offense, he gets my wildly uninformed vote.

Might aswell sent Nick Caserio then.. Honestly, BB is the only one who could get away by doing so for one game.

Might aswell sent Nick Caserio then.. Honestly, BB is the only one who could get away by doing so for one game.

Caserio isn't on the roster. As unlikely as it is that Derby would take actual reps, getting his feet wet as the scout team QB might be useful.

I think the Patriots are looking at a couple of different options as far as QB for the future goes. The first is trading Garrapolo this coming offseason, and if a team is willing to give a high first they will most likely take the deal and look at developing Brissett as Brady's successor. The second is keeping Garrapolo through his deal, creating a plan of succession where they sign him to a long term deal that is team friendly the first season and becomes a market deal after that. This gives Brady three more years and keeps Garrapolo in a system where he can succeed the way Rodgers has in Green Bay. They have control of him for two more years anyways so he would only be sacrificing one extra season as a starter in return for both the money and the guarantee of succeeding Brady. This scenario however is conditioned upon both Brady being willing to call it quits after 2018, which is doubtful, and Garrapolo being willing to back up Brady a fifth year, which he definitely won't be to keen on. The Patriots however still hold all the cards as they have Brady's rights through 2019 and will be able to franchise Garrapolo in 2018, so they will be calling the shots not the players.
The Patriots are not going to franchise Garoppolo with the intent to actually keep him for the 2018 season. They may franchise him with the intent to trade him, but they won't keep him as a backup making $20+ million.

They still have time to figure out what they want to do - and God only knows what situations may arise - but they will have to piss or get off the pot after next season.

Lots of good conversation about speculation. I for one trust Belichick to make the correct decision for one game at a time. My total interest at this point is Houston Thursday night, I want to win. Bill will give me that.

I get that. I only said that "I have no idea what the right resolution is" and that "I don't see this ending well." You just stated part of the reason for my view.

I don't think it's going to end badly, I think they will ultimately work things out, and I believe that in part because Brady won't he going anywhere in the next two years. If they decided to move Brady then I think he would understand I just think he would want some say in where he went. I think Garrapolo will be traded next offseason and that will end the debate, but if he isn't they will deal with it after 2017.

FTR I wasn't trying to be a **** to you 74, I was just in a hurry so it was a really short post.

Hmm...wish we had a chance to see Edelman at QB in a meaningless injury less game.
My guess is we're probably better off we didn't. Edelman wasn't anywhere near an NFL prospect as a QB.

Agreed. Derby for me too as Jules is too valuable in his Squirrel role on offense.
But you KNOW that Edelperson desperately wants to BE his bro, Brady, and would kill (I hope not Tom or anyone on the 53 or coaching staff) to play QB.
I believe Edelman was asked the question post game yesterday and I don't recall his exact response, but it seemed clear he wasn't at all keen on the idea. I'm not, either. I love him right where he is.

In case we need to go to Derby, we can just go Jumbo:

TE/WR: Bennett
TE: Gronk
LT: Solder
LG: Thuney
C: Andrews
RG: Mason
RT: Cannon
TE: Fleming
TE: Harbor
QB: Derby
HB: Edelman

Alternatively snap the ball to Derby or Edelman and let them run while the big guys knock everybody over! ;)

I don't think it's going to end badly, I think they will ultimately work things out, and I believe that in part because Brady won't he going anywhere in the next two years. If they decided to move Brady then I think he would understand I just think he would want some say in where he went. I think Garrapolo will be traded next offseason and that will end the debate, but if he isn't they will deal with it after 2017.

FTR I wasn't trying to be a **** to you 74, I was just in a hurry so it was a really short post.
Never came within a million miles of taking your comment personally...it was a reasonable observation.

I'll stick my neck out and say that the "right thing to do" is to trade him next offseason and let him get started on his career as a starter, assuming that Brady stays healthy, etc.. Hopefully to an already solid team with a good Owner and HC out of the Conference. Good Owners are hard to come by, so I'd settle for a good HC.

and the QB ping-pong game continues

Hmmm..."eating cereal"...are we to interpret that as a subtle message that the locker room thinks that this has all gone to Jimmy's head and he's already imagining himself on a Wheaties' box?

For the humor deprived, that's a joke...maybe not a good one, but a joke...ha ha...

In case we need to go to Derby, we can just go Jumbo:

TE/WR: Bennett
TE: Gronk
LT: Solder
LG: Thuney
C: Andrews
RG: Mason
RT: Cannon
TE: Fleming
TE: Harbor
QB: Derby
HB: Edelman

Alternatively snap the ball to Derby or Edelman and let them run while the big guys knock everybody over! ;)
Why wouldn't you have Blount running the ball?

Why wouldn't you have Blount running the ball?

I figured Edelman would get lost in that sea of humanity. ;)

However, it wasn't meant as a serious suggestion, I just kind of liked the idea of a five TE offense (with the four TE's playing different positions and Fleming playing a fifth TE). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back