PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon Stepping Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2018, he was on his 5th-year option, which was something like $8.5M, IIRC. A great value if considered in a vacuum. But the Pats didn't pay him (or Danny), and they now have about $3.8M in cap space left.
I can understand trading him for the first rounder, but I would’ve liked to have seen them take a shot at replacing some of that production on the cheap by selecting another WR in the earlier rounds.

Personally, I didn’t like the Dawson pick then, and I’m beginning to hate it more and more as time moves forward.

While many on here look at his inability to make it through the season as failure, I see it another way. I'm mildly surprised he made it this far. It's an accomplishment of sorts. Why?

Addiction is a *****.

BB rolled the dice and crapped out after a decent run. The odds were always against him and he knew it, thus the 5th rounder rather than a higher pick.

Regards,
Chris

It’s not like he is addicted to heroin. He likes to smoke weed.
Can we stop with the demons and sickness and recognize this is probably just a guy who doesn’t want to follow the rules and have any discipline in his life?

No, we can't stop with the 'demons and sickness' because when someone is unable to keep themselves from engaging in using a non-addictive, albeit habit-forming, substance then it clearly speaks to different issues.

This is no different than a person with diabetes who won't eat properly or something. If you're unable to avoid engaging in a particular behavior that is harmful to you, one way or another, then there's clearly something larger at play.

If you've actually read about this guy there's almost certainly more at play here than just liking to watch some MST3K and smoke a bowl.

While many on here look at his inability to make it through the season as failure, I see it another way. I'm mildly surprised he made it this far. It's an accomplishment of sorts. Why?

Addiction is a *****.

Weed isn't addictive, it's just habit forming. I take tolerance breaks all the time and other than some mood changes and a little bit of nausea here and there it's really easy to stop taking. I'm not being pedantic, I think it's an important distinction because it's not like you end up fiending for some kush after 48 hours. If his issues are all weed use and he's still unable to stop himself from using it I think speaks to something more than just the guy being a stoner.

There's clearly something pathological going on with his substance abuse. But we also probably won't know if it was actually weed or another substance.

I have no bad feelings for the guy, I just think he's sick. I sometimes go on weed benders where I'm high from 5pm to midnight every day for weeks. And then I'll stop getting high for months because as much fun as it is to get stoned it's also fun to accomplish stuff and to not eat 4k calories a day.

Can we stop with the demons and sickness and recognize this is probably just a guy who doesn’t want to follow the rules and have any discipline in his life?
There are many of them working in mini markets and Walmart’s.
WOW!!! The guy is an addict. It wasn't like I think I might smoke some weed. ADDICT.

Correct me if I’ve missed something, but I haven’t seen anything that actually states he did any drugs/drank - only that he violated the terms of his conditional reinstatement. That could simply mean he missed a test. Couple that with the massive crazy messy posts his (apparently ex-) girlfriend is making and I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility to say he’s simply having lady troubles and he is having issues coping with that considering his history, and legitimately needs a mental health break. The NFL would still have to suspend him for missing a test during that time, but it’s not crazy to think it would be shorter term if he took another test after a little bit and it was clean and he had a story to back things up. I mean it could still end up being a year suspension or something but not necessarily “done forever.”

Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just being an insane homer?

People smoking weed in many states legally and Josh has a problem because he smokes it?

I've been saying for a few years now ... weed should not be a punishable offense.

If it has to be punishable then a few game penalty regardless of how many times you get caught.

Also if he did use again then the Patriots have known about it for a while now.

I am not going to fault the Patriots for trying - glad to have a coach who takes risk.

No, we can't stop with the 'demons and sickness' because when someone is unable to keep themselves from engaging in using a non-addictive, albeit habit-forming, substance then it clearly speaks to different issues.

This is no different than a person with diabetes who won't eat properly or something. If you're unable to avoid engaging in a particular behavior that is harmful to you, one way or another, then there's clearly something larger at play.

If you've actually read about this guy there's almost certainly more at play here than just liking to watch some MST3K and smoke a bowl.
So people who can’t stop sleeping in and being late for work are being haunted by demons?
How about people who drive too fast?
The lazy people who never clean their house?

Is everyone who makes bad decisions haunted by demons?
Gordon chooses to smoke weed. It’s but an addiction. He has been given numerous opportunities, provided with volumes of support, education and counseling and he just wants to smoke weed.

Let’s not diminish the struggle of the true addict and his real demons by including this guy alongside him.

So people who can’t stop sleeping in and being late for work are being haunted by demons?
How about people who drive too fast?
The lazy people who never clean their house?

Is everyone who makes bad decisions haunted by demons?
Gordon chooses to smoke weed. It’s but an addiction. He has been given numerous opportunities, provided with volumes of support, education and counseling and he just wants to smoke weed.

Let’s not diminish the struggle of the true addict and his real demons by including this guy alongside him.
Andy, I respect you, but not this opinion. Gordon clearly has demons. The opportunities that he has blown are a testament to that. The guy just can’t get out of his own way.

This isn’t about “Weeeeeeeeed.” It’s about trying to alter his consciousness to escape something. The drug of choice is irrelevant. If it’s marijuana or alcohol vs something stronger it’s only because those are more easily obtained.

I’m sad that Josh had a relapse and I wish him nothing but the best in the future! If at all possible, and he can somehow get well and have his suspension lifted, I’d be happy to have him back! That said, I think it’s time to activate Damoun Patterson and see what he has! Let’s go Pats!!

This isn’t about “Weeeeeeeeed.” It’s about trying to alter his consciousness to escape something. The drug of choice is irrelevant. If it’s marijuana or alcohol vs something stronger it’s only because those are more easily obtained.

Yeah, my understanding is he had an insanely traumatic childhood and has been dealing with drug abuse since adolescence.

I’m sad that Josh had a relapse and I wish him nothing but the best in the future! If at all possible, and he can somehow get well and have his suspension lifted, I’d be happy to have him back! That said, I think it’s time to activate Damoun Patterson and see what he has! Let’s go Pats!!
In madden tonight I made Stefan Diggs a draft binkie of mine Damoun Patterson and yes jacked up his ability God level.
He had 5 tds 418 yards and a 2 point conversion.
Answer to our prayers.
Lol

And you know this how? Meaning how, exactly, do you know it was weed he got popped for? Are you in possession of the test results? Gordon has acknowledged mental health issues and has admitted in the past to having problems with cocaine, codeine, opioids, xanax, booze and other substances but this time the issue was he simply "likes to smoke weed" and for that we have what exactly by way of proof?

Sucks. Even in a Patriot uniform I was really rooting for Gordon.

Good luck to the guy, first and foremost in life and health. And hopefully he manages to save his career as well.

Sadly it appears the worst thing for Josh Gordon is being successful whenever he seems to be in a good place he slips up it is as if he needs to trying to rebuild in order to maintain his sobriety.

Correct me if I’ve missed something, but I haven’t seen anything that actually states he did any drugs/drank - only that he violated the terms of his conditional reinstatement. That could simply mean he missed a test. Couple that with the massive crazy messy posts his (apparently ex-) girlfriend is making and I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility to say he’s simply having lady troubles and he is having issues coping with that considering his history, and legitimately needs a mental health break. The NFL would still have to suspend him for missing a test during that time, but it’s not crazy to think it would be shorter term if he took another test after a little bit and it was clean and he had a story to back things up. I mean it could still end up being a year suspension or something but not necessarily “done forever.”

Does that make sense to anyone else or am I just being an insane homer?
Precisely my thoughts. A lot of people seem to think he failed a drug test but that doesn't seem to be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes