PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Cribbs non muff call in Colts - Broncos game

So didn't Stevan Ridley, but that didn't turn out the same way for some reason.

I'm assuming you're referring to the AFCCG against Baltimore with Ridley?

I believe the ball was out before Ridley's knee hit. Cribbs' knee hit before the ball came loose.

To me the way most of the rules are set up. Officials have an "out" or an "option" on every call. Every.Single.Call can go one way or the other and the officials will have an argument as to why. Least favorite part of the way this league has evolved.

From Sports Illustrated MMQB

"The Cribbs ruling made complete sense in that it lined up with what we’re seeing, and with the rule book. Cribbs had possession of the ball, and the ball didn’t come out until he went to the ground after contact."
The way it was explained on air, the play is supposed to be looked at as if it were a catch. Only as we know, the only option is for it to be ruled a fumble as opposed to incomplete. In no way did Cribbs have anymore possession than Dez Bryant but welcome to the NFL where you can watch two different games and see the inconstancies in which the game is officiated. It's almost like in Baseball where the strikezone can change from game to game.

I'm assuming you're referring to the AFCCG against Baltimore with Ridley?

I believe the ball was out before Ridley's knee hit. Cribbs' knee hit before the ball came loose.

His butt hit the ground and the ball came out. That is down by contact.

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten.../pdfs/10_Rule7_BallInPlay_DeadBall_Scrimm.pdf
Section 2 Dead Ball
Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
(a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body
other than his hands or feet
. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner
touching the ground with his hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to
advance; or

ridley-1-20-131.gif

To me the way most of the rules are set up. Officials have an "out" or an "option" on every call. Every.Single.Call can go one way or the other and the officials will have an argument as to why. Least favorite part of the way this league has evolved.

The way it was explained on air, the play is supposed to be looked at as if it were a catch. Only as we know, the only option is for it to be ruled a fumble as opposed to incomplete. In no way did Cribbs have anymore possession than Dez Bryant but welcome to the NFL where you can watch two different games and see the inconstancies in which the game is officiated. It's almost like in Baseball where the strikezone can change from game to game.
I think it was explained incorrectly on air.
Thats part of the problem, the announcers do not know the rules and are taken as authorities.

David Patten. Knocked out cold, but one body part was touching the ball and another touching out of bounds.

The perfect example of the simple twist of fate that can be the difference between a SuperBowl winning season and a nice also-ran. Whenever I start thinking that it doesn't take luck to win it all, I reflect back on that game-saving turnover prevented only because an unconscious receiver fell to the ground with a shoulder out of bounds and a leg on the ball....

The perfect example of the simple twist of fate that can be the difference between a SuperBowl winning season and a nice also-ran. Whenever I start thinking that it doesn't take luck to win it all, I reflect back on that game-saving turnover prevented only because an unconscious receiver fell to the ground with a shoulder out of bounds and a leg on the ball....
Agree except it wasn't game-saving or the difference in a SB.
It was in OT, tied, with the ball on the Buff 41. With 10 minutes left. A Smith ripped off a 40 yard run on the next play to lead to the game winning FG, but a Bill recovery would not have meant a loss

This was my thought as well. The replay conclusively proved that the defender wasn't blocked into him, so the refs just found a back door way of reversing that call via possession overturn.

That may be the most plausible answer to why it wasn't a muff.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back