PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonnu Smith contract restructure creates $5.3M in cap space done 9/2022

This is an old post; this was done in September not now.
I wanted to use an existing thread on Tight end inefficiency and this one came up in search . If you feel it's not apt please close it.

I wanted to use an existing thread on Tight end inefficiency and this one came up in search . If you feel it's not apt please close it.
It's fine, I just wanted to clarify that this restructure didn't just happen today, that it was done it September of 2022.

It's fine, I just wanted to clarify that this restructure didn't just happen today, that it was done it September of 2022.
Thanks, I feel stupid when I get all excited about a post and then find out its an old one. Happened recently. Ugh.

Okay I do know this is old post (thankfully someone pointed it out) but seems an odd choice to take our (arguably) most underachieving player and make his contract immovable...

Okay I do know this is old post (thankfully someone pointed it out) but seems an odd choice to take our (arguably) most underachieving player and make his contract immovable...

Unless im remembering wrong I think it was already immovable until 2024 to begin with. I remember looking at the year by year structure last season and thinking ‘f***, were tied to this guy for at least 2 more seasons after this’.

The guy makes plays when he gets the ball. He has talent. The move to drop the fullback and go to a zone blocking scheme was supposed to feature him more in the offense. It has to a tiny degree. We can only hope for better in the future. Actually, no, we can also b!tch about the situation as well.

Pats are stuck with this guy.

Horrible contract based on returns somebody have to say it.

I like Jonnu. He works hard, is tough, is a willing blocker, makes plays when he touches the ball.

I think the regular complainers would still be complaining even if Jonnu was producing at a higher clip. You know the type -- they just complain that a given player isn't fulfilling some arbitrary metric of "success" based on contract and production, but they cannot tell you (with specific numbers) what acceptable production looks like to them.

To me, it's much more an issue with usage than with performance.

I like Jonnu. He works hard, is tough, is a willing blocker, makes plays when he touches the ball.

I think the regular complainers would still be complaining even if Jonnu was producing at a higher clip. You know the type -- they just complain that a given player isn't fulfilling some arbitrary metric of "success" based on contract and production, but they cannot tell you (with specific numbers) what acceptable production looks like to them.

Jonnu's been a horrible signing. I think the regular honks would still be defending him if he was producing at nearly a 100% lower clip. You know the type -- they just rush to defend a given player, ignoring metrics of success based upon contract and production, but can't tell you (with specific numbers) how the player is playing acceptably.

Instead, they blame it on things like usage, even though the team heavily invested in the player, and spent practice after practice working with him, and tried to integrate him into the game plan for two straight seasons.

Jonnu's been a horrible signing. I think the regular honks would still be defending him if he was producing at nearly a 100% lower clip. You know the type -- they just rush to defend a given player, ignoring metrics of success based upon contract and production, but can't tell you (with specific numbers) how the player is playing acceptably.

Instead, they blame it on things like usage, even though the team heavily invested in the player, and spent practice after practice working with him, and tried to integrate him into the game plan for two straight seasons.
I'm one of those honks. I'll justify a lot of what's going on with the offense in various ways but I got nothing for the TEs.

Anyone figure out why we needed the cap space mid-season???

No need to over-think it. Some people just have a sh!t outlook on life in general. They just b!tch and moan every chance they get. Six world championships, why aren't we getting one this year too? Who can we blame? Let's dump on the TE, until we think of someone else to dump on. He makes lots of money, we don't, let's dump on him. Let's tune in sports talk shows that encourage us to b!tch and moan. They'll identify that next victim for us to dump on, then we'll feel slightly better about ourselves, but still overall, miserable. Rinse, repeat, till the day we die, then our equally miserable relatives will b!tch that we didn't leave behind enough money for them.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back