PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch signs with Pats (Confirmed by Schefter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predictably, the deluded over at JetsInsider.com say that Favre is licking his chops over the Pats' "ancient and unproven" secondary.

I think this is great news. I love having these vets to root for and know that they'll be used wisely.

Just saw Lynch mentioned flipping through the channels. In the highlight he hit Tomlinson so hard he knocked the classy one's helmet right off his head. Followed it up by grabbing his helmet and spinning it ten yards down the field. A repeat of that alone may be worth the price of admission for many Pats Fans.
That sounds awesome! :D

Just saw Lynch mentioned flipping through the channels. In the highlight he hit Tomlinson so hard he knocked the classy one's helmet right off his head. Followed it up by grabbing his helmet and spinning it ten yards down the field. A repeat of that alone may be worth the price of admission for many Pats Fans.

That would make the $179 ticket worth the price

Predictably, the deluded over at JetsInsider.com say that Favre is licking his chops over the Pats' "ancient and unproven" secondary.

Wow, gotta love it. "Ancient and unproven?" How many Pro Bowls do Harrison and Lynch have between them?

Let's not forget about Meriweather and Sanders. They'll probably be on the field more than the "ancient" guys. I see Meriweather on the field more than any of the other 3 due to his ability to play multiple roles, and Sanders plays both FS and SS well, he'll see the field a lot, too.

Last edited:

I wonder if they would have said Brady is licking his chops if they had signed Lynch. If anything, BB is licking his chops over going agains old arse Brett Favre. :rolleyes:

Licking his chops or wiping his brow? We're gonna make Favre look like he plays for US this year.

Wow, gotta love it. "Ancient and unproven?" How many Pro Bowls do Harrison and Lynch have between them?

Let's not forget about Meriweather and Sanders. They'll probably be on the field more than the "ancient" guys. I see Meriweather on the field more than any of the other 3 due to his ability to play multiple roles, and Sanders plays both FS and SS well, he'll see the field a lot, too.

They're trying to say Rodney and Lynch are now too old to be effective and that our corner situation is unsettled.

I believe that Meriweather and Sanders rotating with Rodney and Lynch should make for one of the best safety combinations in the league. The unknown quantity remains our corner situation, but we should be at least average there. Hopefully, the pass rush picks up any slack.

Well, it appears that what BB is experimenting with (was with Tank, might with Lynch) is using a S as an ILB in situations that are more pass than run. It seems that rather than go to a nickel on 2nd and 10, he is exploring the possiblity of staying in the 3-4. But since 2nd and 10 is so much more a passing down today than it used to be, and our coverage from ILB and S was a big issue (as big as you can have at 18-1 at least) he is going to sacrifice run D to improve pass D.
We aren't talking about converting a safety to an ILB, we are talking about a package that can be used on run/pass downs where in the past we were equally as apt to go to the nickel vs staying in the base. Especially against some teams more than others. This may add up to a total of 150 plays all season long. If Lynch fills that role, he will also fill other roles.
I look at it like this. We play a dime defense a handful of snaps a game. The guy who is the 6th DB does more than just play those plays. That is what we are talking about here. A base defense that has replaced one guy who is better vs the run with one guy who is better vs the pass, to be used a few times a game, more vs some teams, maybe never vs others.
I actually like the idea a lot.
I'm glad you're discussing formations and situations, because I'm trying to figure this out. They obviously had something in mind with all the snaps that Tank took at ILB next to Bruschi. So is this the alignment on 2nd & 10?

Vrabel-----------Warren - Wilfork - Seymour--------Thomas
------------------- Mayo----------Lynch--------------------
Hobbs----------Meriweather---- Sanders------------Bryant

So Lynch replaces Bruschi, which makes it tougher for opponents to throw into the short zone.

Second question is why the big deal over Lynch? If Tank played ILB because Harrison wasn't fast enough, I don't see what Lynch brings that Harrison didn't already have.

Unless the above formation has Harrison instead of either Meriweather or Sanders, to provide more run-stopping force.

I'm still trying to figure out what Lynch brings to a secondary that already had Meriweather, Sanders, and Harrison. Not saying it's a bad idea, I simply don't know. It seemed to me that Tank had speed that Harrison doesn't. What does Lynch have?

I'm glad you're discussing formations and situations, because I'm trying to figure this out. They obviously had something in mind with all the snaps that Tank took at ILB next to Bruschi. So is this the alignment on 2nd & 10?

So Lynch replaces Bruschi, which makes it tougher for opponents to throw into the short zone.

Second question is why the big deal over Lynch? If Tank played ILB because Harrison wasn't fast enough, I don't see what Lynch brings that Harrison didn't already have.

Unless the above formation has Harrison instead of either Meriweather or Sanders, to provide more run-stopping force.

I'm still trying to figure out what Lynch brings to a secondary that already had Meriweather, Sanders, and Harrison. Not saying it's a bad idea, I simply don't know. It seemed to me that Tank had speed that Harrison doesn't. What does Lynch have?

I was thinking the same thing...so I asked someone that covers the team for some insight. They told me that the Pats were looking for someone to spell Rodney on the field. He can't handle the load by himself anymore. They were grooming Tank to be that guy, but unfortunately the injury bug bit him. Rodney has had two major knee injuries, as far as I know, Lynch has not. At least, I've never heard that he's suffered one. We don't know how the Pats are going to use him, but I don't think that he's here to be a full time starter, IMO.

They also told me that there has been a lot of chatter about saving the players (especially the older vets) from the rigors of training camp. That's why BB has held out a lot of them from practice. FWIW, It makes sense.

Not that I agree but I think the ancient and the unproven are not the same people.

Ancient would be Harrison, Lynch, and Bryant

Unproven would Wheatley, Whilhite and to lesser degree Meriweather

That leaves out guys like Hobbs and Sanders who are neither ancient nor unproven.

Hmmm...that list actually looks like a lot of talent some young some old and all talented. Yes we don't have that clear cut number one guy who is both young and proven but how many guys like that are there out there....

Hmmm...that list actually looks like a lot of talent some young some old and all talented. Yes we don't have that clear cut number one guy who is both young and proven but how many guys like that are there out there....

I agree, I'm pretty happy w the shape of our secondary right now. It'll be fun to watch how BB uses all these guys.

The question that appears more relevant to me is what does Rodney have or not have that led to them wanting to put Tank in the aforementioned role. Is at a speed issue as you say? Do they want Rodney at SS? What's that say about Sanders? He's done well in both positions, but based on camp, I still think Meriweather is going to be on the field on all downs. Is it a health concern re: Rodney/Sanders? Who is the odd man out when there is 2 or 3 of these safeties on the field?

It's puzzling - but not in an "I'm worried" kind of way, more in a curious "I can't wait to see how this comes together" kind of way.

In the nickel packages when Wilfork comes off the field, it becomes easier to envision how they can use all these guys - but in the base 3-4, even with one preseason game in which we saw Tank used, I still really don't know how it all fits.

Thanks for throwing the formation up there - I was actually going to start a thread that asked for specific formations to be laid out, to help visualize everybody's role and the different sets they use.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked to see both Lynch and Harrison on the field at times, in a 3-3-5 (or 2-4-5) alignment playing short zones in a cover 3.

I wouldn't be shocked to see both Lynch and Harrison on the field at times, in a 3-3-5 (or 2-4-5) alignment playing short zones in a cover 3.

They were using Tank in a 2-4-5 the other nite, Warren and Sey the DLs, Vrabel and AD off the edge, then Tank and Mayo in the middle. Not sure where others were (it's so frikkin hard to see the secondary on TV, especially a 4x3 DVR recording.) So how would you envision a 2-4-5 working w Lynch and Rodney.

This move will certainly help vs teams like the Colts who spread it and then run at you. Former NFL Safety Matt Bowen (Rams, Redskins, Packers and Bills) likes the move.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/08/lynch-patriots-seem-like-perfect-match/

By Matt Bowen
Posted August 15, 2008
Lynch, Patriots Seem Like Perfect Match

I like the signing of John Lynch by the New England Patriots. Yes, Lynch has lost a step and is on the backside of his great career in the NFL, but head coach Bill Belichick knows what he is looking for when it comes to personnel. The Patriots are pretty set at the safety position with Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, and Brandon Meriweather, but the addition of Lynch will allow Belichick and his defensive staff another tool to play with. I would expect Lynch to see around 15 snaps a game, maybe 20 depending on the opponent. Look for Lynch to be used when the Patriots insert an extra safety into the game, sending a corner to the sidelines. This will give New England an extra player in run support (what Lynch does best), and allows them to counter teams that line up in “Tank” formations (2 TEs, 2 RBs, 1 WR), which has become an offensive rage in this league.

....................................................................................................

If there are two things that Lynch brings to the table, one is his ability to play with a physical attitude, and the other is his ability to tackle (a lost art in the NFL). There is something still to be said about guys who can come downhill hard and tackle. Add in the fact that Lynch is a natural leader in the locker room, and the Patriots have another veteran guy who will only add to their dominance.

Rodney has had two major knee injuries, as far as I know, Lynch has not. At least, I've never heard that he's suffered one. .

No knee surgeries, but he suffered two concussions last year, plus a significant groin injury.

They were using Tank in a 2-4-5 the other nite, Warren and Sey the DLs, Vrabel and AD off the edge, then Tank and Mayo in the middle. Not sure where others were (it's so frikkin hard to see the secondary on TV, especially a 4x3 DVR recording.) So how would you envision a 2-4-5 working w Lynch and Rodney.

Code:
Hobbs            Meriweather            Bryant

Harrison        Alexander        Mayo            Lynch

Vrabel        Warren        Seymour        Thomas
... with the front line rushing. I'm not too sure on those ILBs but the idea would be to have the stud and rover (the heavy 2 safeties in the 5 backfield) take over the wider flats. You're still balanced against the run, if a little light in the pants. You can get some pretty good zone blitzes out of this alignment as well, or easily drop into a Cover 4 Roll.

I Thought it was the Bolts and the Colts who cared about Pro Bowls. ;)

No knee surgeries, but he suffered two concussions last year, plus a significant groin injury.

They were allegedly stingers, not concussions. Not sure which is worse for a safety though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back