PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Lynch signs with Pats (Confirmed by Schefter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: John Lynch signs with Pats

Do you seriously believe that?

I'm happy if he fills that hybrid role, but don't you think name recognition had a lot more to do with it than his play?

Sounds like Richard Seymour in 2005 who didn't deserve it either but got it primarily on name recognition

I agree completely.

I just don't think a declining vet getting a replacement pro bowl nod means anything more than name recognition and sentiment.

I remember baseball scrambling to get people to vote to avoid the embarassment when Luis Aparicio almost won the starting shortstop position the year after he retired.

[details fade. If anyone remembers this (he was on the Sox) lease verify.]

True, I just thought most people had forgot that, but he definitely didn't deserve the Pro Bowl spot based on his play.

Oh yes it is. Lynch was constantly exploited last year by teams with good passing offenses. Without knowing BBs plans for him, there may have been better players available with lesser name recognition. I don't want to say he's done, but based on last year's performance, age has taken a greater toll on him than Junior, Tedy, and Rodney...three guys about whom it is often said are noticably slowing. He's definitely at the stage where he's job-specific....help against the run on the goalline or <1 situations....and if I'm the opposing OC and see Harrison and Lynch in the lineup at the same time, I'm smiling like a cheshire cat.

Again, he's not a lock to make the team, especially if he isn't going to play special teams. Is it a bad signing? Meh. I would put it in the "can't hurt" category. But I don't think it's going to impact our season, barring injury.

Folks, it's okay to admit BB is human. Monty Beisel is exhibit A, and the exhibits run through about P. It's also okay to accept people who don't drink kool-aid 24/7 as being something other than "haters".

So which unsigned safeties are better than him? And why hasn't Belichick signed them?

If that's the test, I am a "non-homer."

I'm not either one- both choices are too extreme for me- but I'm leaning much more towards being pro-signing than against.

I don't know a lot about Lynch but as I said in another thread, I think Tank was going to play an important role here and warranted replacing if possible. Lynch sounds like he could do the job. Then there's Rodney's longevity given the intensity of his play. It'll be nice to have some cushion if and when needed.

He might be older but he knows how to read the field. JMO but I think this could be a tougher season than we think, mainly because teams will bring it everytime, not just on the field but in the preparation. Now that the Giants "cracked the code" to beating the Pats, everyone wants to do it lol. Look at the Chargers LOL ;) That coach admits to having made Conquering The Patriots/BB his quest. Anyway that's another topic.

Come crunch time I like a veteran- there's no room for rookie mistakes, not when there's that much of a target on your back.

I also like our mix of youth and vets this year. We may not have a quantity of young bodies out there, but we do seem (so far) to have quality.

I like this signing because it's what we need right now. Not a year from now after a player's got solid NFL experience behind him as well as playoff/ SB:D experience; we need someone who can read what he's seeing out there. Plus it's not as if he's expected to carry the team. He's a good signing for that role and will fill in nicely.

John Lynch sounds like a good fit.

Finally Reiss has it!!!! But who is cut???...ahhh you beat me to it!!!

He is not officially signed yet, they have agreed to terms. When he is signed they will have to release someone. I would say from a talent point of view it would have to be Shoate, Jimoh or Sene, the problem is we are really short at CB and OL and we need some of these guys to play in the 2nd half in TB and Philly games. Maybe it will be a LB (Ruud??) or DL (Fifta, Smith or Adams??). Maybe the Pats will IR someone, maybe we can stash away Ruud ;). He really needs an offseason in the conditioning program to bulk up and gain some strength.

Last edited:
Mike Lombardi on the move:

LINK

I think John Lynch will fill the role of linebacker for the Patriots, the same one that Tank Williams was going to fill. Last year, I felt when watching the Broncos play Houston and Lynch was in the box, he was a very effective player. He could read run or pass, he was not fooled on play action and he had the ability to attack the pocket. He is only a two-level player, but he still can play in that role. And no one will prepare harder or work to be a better player.

So which unsigned safeties are better than him? And why hasn't Belichick signed them?

One of the reasons that the Pats signed Lynch was that he weighs

220 lbs. Not all safeties have the bulk to fill the role the Pats have

in mind for Lynch.

Mike Lombardi on the move:

LINK

I don't get why so many people are talking about Lynch (and Tank before him) playing "ILB" in the Pats' defense. He's not playing ILB. In the Pats' 2 gap system, the interior linebackers primary responsibility is to engage with offensive linemen or other blockers, control them, and prevent them from opening interior running lanes, and then shed their blocker to make a tackle. Lynch won't be doing any of that -- he doesn't have the size to do it, and as a safety, he doesn't have any experience w/ that type of play.

Rather, Lynch will be acting very much like the safety playing up in the box that he'll be. On running plays, he will try to flow to the ball, trying staying clean of blockers, rather than trying to engage and relocate them. This is exactly what Harrison and other SS's have done when playing up at the line. The only difference is that for Lynch, there will usually be two other safeties lines up behind him. This just means he's an extra safety, and that the team is using a nickel package.

I don't get why so many people are talking about Lynch (and Tank before him) playing "ILB" in the Pats' defense. He's not playing ILB. In the Pats' 2 gap system, the interior linebackers primary responsibility is to engage with offensive linemen or other blockers, control them, and prevent them from opening interior running lanes, and then shed their blocker to make a tackle. Lynch won't be doing any of that -- he doesn't have the size to do it, and as a safety, he doesn't have any experience w/ that type of play.

Rather, Lynch will be acting very much like the safety playing up in the box that he'll be. On running plays, he will try to flow to the ball, trying staying clean of blockers, rather than trying to engage and relocate them. This is exactly what Harrison and other SS's have done when playing up at the line. The only difference is that for Lynch, there will usually be two other safeties lines up behind him. This just means he's an extra safety, and that the team is using a nickel package.

Well, it appears that what BB is experimenting with (was with Tank, might with Lynch) is using a S as an ILB in situations that are more pass than run. It seems that rather than go to a nickel on 2nd and 10, he is exploring the possiblity of staying in the 3-4. But since 2nd and 10 is so much more a passing down today than it used to be, and our coverage from ILB and S was a big issue (as big as you can have at 18-1 at least) he is going to sacrifice run D to improve pass D.
We aren't talking about converting a safety to an ILB, we are talking about a package that can be used on run/pass downs where in the past we were equally as apt to go to the nickel vs staying in the base. Especially against some teams more than others. This may add up to a total of 150 plays all season long. If Lynch fills that role, he will also fill other roles.
I look at it like this. We play a dime defense a handful of snaps a game. The guy who is the 6th DB does more than just play those plays. That is what we are talking about here. A base defense that has replaced one guy who is better vs the run with one guy who is better vs the pass, to be used a few times a game, more vs some teams, maybe never vs others.
I actually like the idea a lot.

I reread your post and wanted to add to mine.
I agree with your description of the ILB. However, we are talking about downs and distances where it may be a 70/30 or 80/20 pass/run tendency for the opponent.
If we go to this we are weakening ourselves vs the run, and we would never do it on 1st and 10-type situations. But weakening the run to strengthen the pass makes sense in down and distance where it is more likely a pass.
In other words, there are certain down and distances where we would play the base 34. There are others (and its far from just 3rd down) where we would play the nickel.
This defense is a compromise between the 2, where the offense is more likely to pass, but not certain to pass, so this is for in between situations where we want to strengthen the pass d, but not weaken the run D as far as we would by going nickel.
I would imagine it also allows us to play more, and do a better job at zone in those situations than playing man from the nickel.

I have been saying for 3 years now that Belichick wanted to play with 2 SS's on the field at the same time. It makes a ton of sense in fielding a defense that is more versatile. I'm surprised it took him this long to try it.

I have been saying for 3 years now that Belichick wanted to play with 2 SS's on the field at the same time. It makes a ton of sense in fielding a defense that is more versatile. I'm surprised it took him this long to try it.

He actually 'tried it' in 2003, with Rodney and Milloy, but it never left the gate because Milloy had to be cut for the cap.

Love the signing. He still has something left in the tank. He still has something to prove too. Hopefully this will at least help the Pats defeat the Broncos in October. (A game I had down as a loss.) But I truly believe he will help much more than that.

I am excited to see just how Lynch is utilized in this defense.

Will he see the field on Sunday night?

A lot of good posts here, but no one has yet touched on the one true question - can 37 year old Lynch catch and sack 39 year old Brett Favre? ;)

A lot of good posts here, but no one has yet touched on the one true question - can 37 year old Lynch catch and sack 39 year old Brett Favre? ;)

Remember the play of disaster in the divisional 3 years ago, Brady to Bailey for the pick 6 and Watson chased him down? Lynch's blitz forced that. Finally some good's come out of it :)

Hope Brett's ready :D

I really don't think you will see Lynch on safety blitzes like he used to do often but more of a 'locate the ball and pummel the guy who is holding it' type of player at his age.

I think Lynch was as hard a hitter as Harrison in his prime,Mayber even harder - The guy was like a mack truck in his glory years and still is very much in condition - I bet he passed that physical as easy as it gets.

Last edited:
I really don't think you will see Lynch on safety blitzes like he used to do often but more of a 'locate the ball and pummel the guy who is holding it' type of player at his age.

I think Lynch was as hard a hitter as Harrison in his prime,Mayber even harder - The guy was like a mack truck in his glory years and still is very much in condition - I bet he passed that physical as easy as it gets.

I think you WILL see Lynch on safety bliztes.
At the end of last year,this is exactly what Rodney Harrison was doing in the box.

Lynch is a better tackler and still hits like a ton of bricks.

This is the value of AD at OLB,he drops on a zone blitz or loops towards the middle on a delayed blitz.

Lynch is the perfect guy to blitz thru the spot where AD was or to read the screen on that side.

He can pick up Favre's helmet after Mayo unloads on him.

Just saw Lynch mentioned flipping through the channels. In the highlight he hit Tomlinson so hard he knocked the classy one's helmet right off his head. Followed it up by grabbing his helmet and spinning it ten yards down the field. A repeat of that alone may be worth the price of admission for many Pats Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes