PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Harbaugh wants to do what Belichick does when it comes to reporting injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbaugh is a whiner who cant keep his mouth shut. When you think about it he's the perfect coach for Baltimore.

Just want to make sure I have the facts right. Harbaugh gets in trouble for under reporting injuries but somehow its BB's fault for over reporting his.

Wonder if he got more twitter followers because of his idiotic diatribe...

A few comments:

- When news of the fine was initially announced I thought the league was wrong. I was under the impression that if a player did not miss any practice time then he did not need to be listed, and if the team was sure that he was going to play then he doesn't get listed as 'probable', 'questionable' or 'doubtful' as those designations are for 75%, 50% and 25% chance of playing.

- While I can understand Harbaugh being angry there is no need to bring anyone else (in this case Belichick) into it. There is a certain level of immaturity and lack of responsibility when the first thing you do when accused of something is to point your fingers (in this case in a passive manner) at someone else, That is an age old tactic to attempt to avoid scrutiny that you can't handle by hoping to have whoever is in authority focus on someone other than yourself. It's what four year old do when caught with their hand in the cookie jar and it is what weak minded criminals do when questioned by the police.

- Despite the fallout from his spygate comment Harbaugh obviously learned nothing from it. His latest statement about Belichick makes the apology he issued after the fact back then seem less than sincere - as if he was sorry not for what he said, but for putting himself in a position where he was being publicly criticized.

- Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the idea of listing almost everybody on the injury report (so you couldn't tell who was actually hurt) actually developed by the Indianapolis Colts during the Tony Dungy-Bill Polian years? I could have sworn that back around 2006 or so Belichick would have almost nobody on the injury report when the Pats played the Colts, but the Colts would have about 18-20 players listed.

Last edited:
Who here does not believe that targeting a player's known injury has not been common place in the NFL... whether through a bounty-system or simply by the players themselves?

A star QB's ribs are hurting? Guess what? The other team is going to make a point of tackling and hitting him in the midriff.

Belichick is protecting his players and should be respected, not disrespected for that.

Not supporting harbaugh here but the article may not tell the whole questioning in the presser. I believe someone asked him about brady being on the injury list every week, dont think he brought up BB on his own.

By using the term "straightforward" his implication is clear: we've been honest (unlike BB) and now we'll be dishonest (like BB). What a douche.

Straightforward was not his first quote actually

John Harbaugh tees off on NFL’s injury-reporting rules | ProFootballTalk

Bill [Belichick] figured it out way before the rest of us did,” Harbaugh added. “His injury report’s that long, its been that way for years. We tried to do it the other way and be honest — not honest, honest is a bad word, retract that, scratch that — we tried to be straightforward with our injury report, and we got fined for it. So we’re moving on.”

Not sure what you're getting at. I didn't suggest "straightforward was his first quote", whatever that means. It was the term he used, not sure where in the sequence of his comments he used it is meaningful. Not trying to be combative, I just don't know what your point is.

I think his point was fairly clearly NOT ABOUT YOU (so don't get so uptight); but rather about what HARBAUGH REALLY THINKS (that is, that BB is a liar and a cheat).

Before I saw that (what he said first and retracted); I didnt really think all the disparaging of Harbaugh was all that warranted. GoToHell has lots of stupid azz rules/points of emphasis etc that have been ruining the nfl; this is just one more. But now that I read that I have to say..... Harbaugh is just an ignorant jerk.

He did have one valid point though:
Harbaugh took it further, wondering how the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) factors into it. The HIPAA Privacy Rule protects the privacy of certain personal health information.

“Aren’t there HIPAA rights here?,” Harbaugh asked. “If I’m a player and I’ve been out there playing and I don’t want that on the injury report and I’m told I have to put that on the injury report, we’ve got some players that resent that. So yeah, I got a problem with that in all honesty.”

That sounds like a line of attack that is prime for a lawsuit against the nfl. just needs one nfl player to bring it. Seems essentially a slam-dunk. or am I confused about hipaa and privacy rights?

Last edited:
I think his point was fairly clearly NOT ABOUT YOU (so don't get so uptight); but rather about what HARBAUGH REALLY THINKS (that is, that BB is a liar and a cheat).

Before I saw that (what he said first and retracted); I didnt really think all the disparaging of Harbaugh was all that warranted. GoToHell has lots of stupid azz rules/points of emphasis etc that have been ruining the nfl; this is just one more. But now that I read that I have to say..... Harbaugh is just an ignorant jerk.

That sounds like a line of attack that is prime for a lawsuit against the nfl. just needs one nfl player to bring it. Seems essentially a slam-dunk. or am I confused about hipaa and privacy rights?
I'm sorry, but I don't really have any idea what your trying to convey here. I didn't think I was coming off as "uptight" at all. My real "uptight" is generally pretty easy to recognize. With that said, I agree that for the longest time I have wondered about the injury reports and HIPAA regulations. Of course, it probably wouldn't be the first example of the NFL ignoring regulations everyone else has to abide by.

Not sure what you're getting at. I didn't suggest "straightforward was his first quote", whatever that means. It was the term he used, not sure where in the sequence of his comments he used it is meaningful. Not trying to be combative, I just don't know what your point is.

Not trying to be combative either .Just mentioned that he actually used the word 'honest' before he corrected himself. Basically Iam agreeing with your sentiment that he called BB dishonest in a round about way :)

Harbaugh took it further, wondering how the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) factors into it. The HIPAA Privacy Rule protects the privacy of certain personal health information.

“Aren’t there HIPAA rights here?,” Harbaugh asked. “If I’m a player and I’ve been out there playing and I don’t want that on the injury report and I’m told I have to put that on the injury report, we’ve got some players that resent that. So yeah, I got a problem with that in all honesty.”

Not valid at all.

I'm a Financial Advisor and Insurance Agent. People waive their HIPAA privacy rights all the time in writing in order to get advising physicians statements to underwriters. You sign the waiver in order to get underwritten. You sign the NFL waiver in order to join the NFL.

Last edited:
Not valid at all.

I'm a Financial Advisor and Insurance Agent. People waive their HIPAA privacy rights all the time in writing in order to get advising physicians statements to underwriters. You sign the waiver in order to get underwritten. You sign the NFL waiver in order to join the NFL.
Thanks for the clarification.

Not trying to be combative either .Just mentioned that he actually used the word 'honest' before he corrected himself. Basically Iam agreeing with your sentiment that he called BB dishonest in a round about way :)
Got it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Spot on. Rule 1, a coach should work within the rules yet give his team as much advantage out of it as possible. Rule 2, shut your pie hole about how you carry out rule 1.

I have no problem with Harbaugh wanting to use the BB injury reporting method. However, there is an intimation that he is virtuous and BB acts improperly.
Harbaugh has long been a punk in my view. I never said it before but I decided to move on.

Lies!

Rule 1: You do not talk about fight club.

Don't have anything against Jim, but never did like this Harbaugh.

Not valid at all.

There is ONE BIG not so subtle difference there.

waiving my right to an underwriter; is to ONE ENTITY (albeit a multi-person corporation); but it is a defined entity for a specific purpose.

publicizing your injury in every newspaper, website, and betting line studio in the world is a LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT IMO.

Also the waiver you are talking about is done ONE TIME for a SPECIFIC EVENT and it is DONE POST INJURY. The NFL WAIVER is essentially done at the time of ENTRY into the NFL and is supposed to be valid for 16-21 times a year for the entire length of the players career? For injuries that havent yet occurred and the player doesnt even know what he may have and if he is willing to disclose it?

The longer I write the more INAPPLICABLE i think your counter argument is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes