PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Judge as a potential NFL Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s clear that’s the goal for Judge. John Harbaugh coached just special teams for 9 years, but it was adding the defensive back duties in 2007 that got him a head coaching job in 2008.

If McDaniels leaves this offseason, I wonder if we could see Judge as the top internal candidate to take over the OC role. It’s a little unconventional that he has only spent a year coaching offense, but they clearly trust in his overall coaching ability. A successful year calling offensive plays would probably ensure that he’s gone in 2021, though.

Reactions: Ian
I agree and like you said, I can't see moving there for 3-4 years as being a desirable option for them family-wise.

My family made a long distance move when I was 12 and I hated it!!!
(My father was NOT an NFL player or coach)

Reactions: Ian
Everyone has their price but I think the fly in that ointment would be Jerruh and the front office in Dallas. McDaniels is no doubt mindful his next HC gig could be his last if he doesn't stick the landing. Could a big enough money truck backed up to the door overcome the trepidation anyone with half a brain would feel about working for Jones & Son? Maybe, maybe not. He did walk away from the Indy gig...

I don't know anyone with half a brain who would be dumb enough to work for a meddling owner, no matter how big the Brinks truck is.

How many brilliant HC careers have been cut short or killed outright by a mediocre owner? Look at what's happening to Flores right now. You think he'll ever get another shot at being a HC?

The Giants still let their guys coach the team. A BFOQ for being the Cowboys’ coach is to be a yes man for Jerry. Why else do you think Garrett has stuck around for so long in spite of the fact that he stinks on ice? And the Cowboys may not have more talent than the Giants much longer. Put simply - there is a reason why the Giants have been in the big game three more times than Dallas since the 90s and have won two more. That reason starts at the top.

As the new Giants HC, you would be tethered to Daniel Jones. If he's going to be a great QB, it's a really good job. If not, you're stuck with him. With Dak, you get a QB who proven he can play in the NFL. It's a tough call IMO.

Exactly. All of those types of scenarios where a star QB leaves and goes to another team and starts working with a new coach always starts out with the best intentions. But when the bullets begin to fly and disagreements in philosophies come up, it seems like it never goes quite the way anyone hoped. At his age, I don't see why Brady would want that.

Truthfully, the Manning scenario in Denver was rare and he really, really got lucky with that defense (and he didn't even play a full season that year) because if you go back through and look at all the past older star QBs who finished their careers elsewhere, I can't think of too many of them where it ended with them closing out their careers on a high note.
Exactly, it might be fun to talk abt for some until it gets real. Would be a monumental change.

Again might be the most valuable FA in history when you consider everything. I could see teams breaking the bank just to pick his brain.

If Brady leaves, wherever he goes must include a signature TB12 massage parlor.

The LA market is ripe with suckers.... I mean potential clients looking for new avocado recipes and $150 foam pads

Back to the article: it seems as though some teams will reach for many of the men on that list.
On the other hand, a new young coach needs to start somewhere.

As the new Giants HC, you would be tethered to Daniel Jones. If he's going to be a great QB, it's a really good job. If not, you're stuck with him. With Dak, you get a QB who proven he can play in the NFL. It's a tough call IMO.
If Dak has as much talent as you’re claiming he does, why is he 6-7 this season? Where is the success? They’re not getting it because Jones and his son are interfering morons. They’re not football guys, yet they think they are. The Giants’ job is the much more attractive of the two. Particularly if you think Jones could improve.

I don't know anyone with half a brain who would be dumb enough to work for a meddling owner, no matter how big the Brinks truck is.

How many brilliant HC careers have been cut short or killed outright by a mediocre owner? Look at what's happening to Flores right now. You think he'll ever get another shot at being a HC?

While I agree in principle it's a good idea for a coach to avoid certain owners/situations, when you're a family guy it's tough to say no to the kind of lifelong security you can provide for them with the contents of said truck.

Again, we are in general agreement but I think the Miami situation is a bad analogy. Given what he's had to work with Flores has done himself proud and I'd wager if he got the hook he'd land on his feet in relatively short order but even if he didn't he and his family are set. Hell, if Gase could get a HC gig without having to re-prove himself by spending some time as an OC after his disastrous Miami stint then B Flo ought to do just fine.

If Dak has as much talent as you’re claiming he does, why is he 6-7 this season? Where is the success? They’re not getting it because Jones and his son are interfering morons. They’re not football guys, yet they think they are. The Giants’ job is the much more attractive of the two. Particularly if you think Jones could improve.

I think it's the coaching in Dallas why Dak has t reached his potential

Especially at age 43, Brady will not be "plug-and-play" with a new team without McDaniels. I just can't see him willing to learn a new system elsewhere and adapt to personnel -- players and coaches -- not tailor made to fit him.
And even if he goes with McD somewhere, it takes time to get the rest of the personnel "tailor made to fit him". And time is something he doesn't have much of.

I think it's the coaching in Dallas why Dak has t reached his potential
Let’s see if we can get there naturally. Why is coaching the problem in Dallas?

They have talent, do they not? And what has Jerry Jones specifically done to cause the players on that team to have a 6-7 record? I can understand if he drafts poor players, but they have some pretty good ones. So that leaves coaching. Do we know if Jerry Jones is actually telling Garrett HOW to coach or what assistant coaches to hire? If so, that's a problem. Otherwise, logic tells me is that it's Jason Garrett...

They have talent, do they not? And what has Jerry Jones specifically done to cause the players on that team to have a 6-7 record? I can understand if he drafts poor players, but they have some pretty good ones. So that leaves coaching. Do we know if Jerry Jones is actually telling Garrett HOW to coach or what assistant coaches to hire? If so, that's a problem. Otherwise, logic tells me is that it's Jason Garrett...
And if Jason Garrett is a problem, and if he’s been allowed to be a problem for as long as he has, who is the real problem? Who is ultimately responsible for the fact that they haven’t been to a Super Bowl in 23 years (or, in other words, since they lost the core that Johnson drafted)?

And if Jason Garrett is a problem, and if he’s been allowed to be a problem for as long as he has, who is the real problem? Who is ultimately responsible for the fact that they haven’t been to a Super Bowl in 23 years (or, in other words, since they lost the core that Johnson drafted)?

Either Garrett is a bad coach or Jones is basically coaching the team with Garrett as a figurehead...I have no evidence that Jones is THAT involved with the Cowboys. If he is, then obviously the NYG job is better.

Dallas has issues somewhere & Seattle is proving its better to be lucky than good.

Either Garrett is a bad coach or Jones is basically coaching the team with Garrett as a figurehead...I have no evidence that Jones is THAT involved with the Cowboys. If he is, then obviously the NYG job is better.
What? There is plenty of evidence that Garrett is just a figurehead. Just like they’re was plenty of evidence with Phillips.

Hopefully he'll stay away from the receiver group in that role.

What? There is plenty of evidence that Garrett is just a figurehead. Just like they’re was plenty of evidence with Phillips.

Go ahead and educate me on this...what evidence? My understanding was that Jones picked the players and his coaches did the coaching...

Go ahead and educate me on this...what evidence? My understanding was that Jones picked the players and his coaches did the coaching...
Have you seen Jason Garrett actually coaching any of the players?

Troy Aikman rips Jerry Jones' management of Cowboys: 'It's been going on for 20 years'

Aikman on Wednesday allowed that "coaching hasn’t been great at times in certain situations" for the Cowboys in 2019, but he added, "the front office hasn’t been great in allowing the head coach to do his job, either."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST