PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Judge 2023 role clarified

My complete hack-job guesstimate on the situation:

I see the "coaching" part of his job as limited to coaching two people only: Cam Achord and Joe Houston.

The rest of the job is doing lord-knows-what at a desk, but it ain't coaching, just a "you're still on the Giants' dime so might as well make you useful somehow" type of deal.
Official hook baiter.

He doesn't need to be in NE period. Imagine being in a workplace with an employee that is causing problems, yet gets a fancy new title and possibly more money. That is going to piss people off.
Yep,, i just poured some of my koolaid down the drain. Why would BB elevate this disruptive clown to assistant head coach when he could have named Mayo?

Last edited:
Personally think this is all overblown, Lazar was saying it’s more an assistant to the coach than Assistant Coach. Described it as Matt P/Ernie in the back of the room, not on the field, not interacting with press, a demotion, and definitely not moving ahead of Mayo. The media just blowing out of proportion.

Emotions are running a little too high on this one. There is an obvious investment beyond your team's coaching staff.

People seem to completely forgotten that he was successful enough special teams coach to get a HCing job. So to that end, I think it was a good hire. We desperately NEED to get better in a lot of the areas of that part of game.

As to the AHC title, my first reaction was that this is a REALLY stupid title to begin with. Aren't ALL the other coaches other than the HC his "assistants" My second thought mirrored a lot of yours. Why was a guy who looked like he was part of the problem get a "promotion" even if its only in a title. It's a head scratcher for sure. But its just a title and Judge is back doing something he is good at.

As for Mayo. He got whatever assurances he wanted when he signed. If it's to replace Bill or whatever it must have been enough or he would have been gone to be a DC somewhere else.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he is named the DC sometime before TC. My belief was that Mayo was coordinating the D last year with Steve being the game day play caller following the defensive game plan Mayo has designed (in collaboration with Bill, Steve and the rest of the Defensive coaches.

As I have explained before, on the defensive side the signal that is given is very dependant on the formation, motions, and personnel groupings of the offense. It's why the D rarely huddles, because nothing really can be called until the offense lines up.

McCourty mentioning how Steve Belichick walked into the defensive backs meeting room day one as their coach and said something along the lines of "Hey guys I have no idea wtf I am doing. My dad just told me I am the coach now." That definitely seems like a bad look that I am sure Bill (and probably Steve) would rather have not had out there.

It was the Safety room, after he'd been given the assignment. I read it as McCourty admiring Steve for his honesty, and willingness to put his ego aside in order to harvest the experience in the room. McCourty said it worked out. I suspect Bill was actually pleased with that result.

Yep,, i just poured some of my koolaid down the drain. Why would BB elevate this disruptive clown to assistant head coach when he could have named Mayo?

As to the AHC title, my first reaction was that this is a REALLY stupid title to begin with. Aren't ALL the other coaches other than the HC his "assistants" My second thought mirrored a lot of yours. Why was a guy who looked like he was part of the problem get a "promotion" even if its only in a title. It's a head scratcher for sure. But its just a title and Judge is back doing something he is good at.

Here is what Breer is reporting: (2nd posting)

According to Albert Breer, Judge will now be in an ‘assistant head coach’ type of role on the Patriots coaching staff, that will include “personnel elements” and “some parallels” to the role Matt Patricia played as a senior advisor to Belichick in 2021. Most importantly, Breer reported that Judge will “work closely with Cam Achord and Joe Houston on special teams.”

So the role, not title, is LIKE an assistant head coach in that Judge will work closely with the special team coaches while not directly coaching the players. Judge is not the assistant head coach.

If Judge's title were accurate it would be "Head Bum Kisser"

My understanding that he is 'assistant TO the head coach', which is not the same thing. Essentially secretary/gofer.

It was the Safety room, after he'd been given the assignment. I read it as McCourty admiring Steve for his honesty, and willingness to put his ego aside in order to harvest the experience in the room. McCourty said it worked out. I suspect Bill was actually pleased with that result.
I read it as Bill loves spending Kraft dollars to fund unqualified Friends & Family

My understanding that he is 'assistant TO the head coach', which is not the same thing. Essentially secretary/gofer.

If someone had told me, ever, that the Pats would literally be acting out a meme from The Office in their coaching ranks, I'd have just quit sports fandom on the spot. Somebody wake me up from this.

Here is what Breer is reporting: (2nd posting)

According to Albert Breer, Judge will now be in an ‘assistant head coach’ type of role on the Patriots coaching staff, that will include “personnel elements” and “some parallels” to the role Matt Patricia played as a senior advisor to Belichick in 2021. Most importantly, Breer reported that Judge will “work closely with Cam Achord and Joe Houston on special teams.”

So the role, not title, is LIKE an assistant head coach in that Judge will work closely with the special team coaches while not directly coaching the players. Judge is not the assistant head coach.
This is great fuel for the mediots, nothing that impacts Mayo. As OIFBS highlights, based on Breer's description JJ does not have an official AHC title. He is going to help BB with some administrative stuff.

Belichick recapping JJ's job on VIII Rings, including everything...

Season 18 Episode 10 GIF by The Simpsons

I know McCourty didn't mean it negatively towards anyone but with all the talk about the NFL being a good ole boy network and the lack of minority hires it wasn't a good look.

And what Pitino actually accomplish while he was here again?

Dude was banking on Duncan and had Nothing to offer when it didn't happen.
The Pitino sound bite I was referring to was "the negativity in this town stinks".

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back