PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Buck & Troy Aikman

My favorite was when Buck called Clayborn Jabaal Sheard.
I thought their confusion about how the Pats got Gordon was even worse.

First they said he was released and the later they said he was acquired for almost nothing.

I know Joe Buck has improved in the past couple of years but the best???
Say a couple of positive things about the Pats and you shoot up the rankings over here. He will be the worst in the world once again as soon as he says something negative. That’s the way it works.

During last night's broadcast, on several occasions, my wife summed up our shared appreciation for Aikman's color commentary: "YIKES! Yet another blinding insight from Troy! Where DOES he come up with all this stuff!?"

She thinks he should have his own show, entitled, "Authoritatively Bland, starring Captain Obvious".

I really like the duo because they're somewhat generic and not over-dramatic; I don't find they distract from the game whatsoever but have an appropriate level of enthusiasm; they're not trying to be the stars of the show.

Romo is by far the best X's and O's guy by a mile. It's crazy how many times he correctly calls a play pre-snap and does a great job explaining the coverage looks.

Collinsworth at this point is like a poor man's Romo, he can still offer excellent insight when he wants to, but more often is lazy and relies on cliches or generic statements that really mean nothing when you break them down.

My biggest gripe with both these guys is their enthusiasm for football and big plays sometimes doesn't comes across as impartial, to the point where it sounds like they're actively rooting against your team (this goes both ways). Also Romo still needs to develop a bit as an announcer (and I'm sure he will), and there's an inherent smarminess in Collinsworth's voice I can't stand.

Their play-by-play cohorts, Nantz and Michaels, I generally don't mind, although I do find both have gotten a little too colourful the past couple years, attempting jokes and analysis when they should probably just be staying in their lane.

I also think we all justifiably have a bias against Michaels and Collinsworth for bringing up the deflategate nonsense right in the middle of the Patriots (then) historic comeback in the Superbowl.

And yep MNF is an abomination, what a cliff.

Last edited:
Buck and Aikman are fine. There are much worse broadcast duos out there.

On a related note, I thought that Fox's intro piece on the NE/Indy "rivalry" was particularly insightful. The Indy perspective on NE' s constant cheating and rule-breaking was electrifying.

Last edited:
I don’t like any of the play-by-play guys.

And Erin Andrews makes 3.

Buck - "And now we go down to the field with Erin Andrews."
Andrews - "He Joe and Troy. Tonight the temps are in the low 50's and its a lot warmer down in Florida. The NE players are still drinking Gatorade to keep electrolytes up and stay hydrated. I asked, what was their favorite flavor and by a 2 - 1 margin orange is the winner over lemon lime.'

Andrews "Tom Brady drinks plain old spring water. Back up to you guys in the booth."

On a related note, I thought that Fox's intro piece on the NE/Indy "rivalry" was particularly inciteful. The Indy perspective on NE' s constant cheating and rule-breaking was electrifying.

Bunch a corn shuckin', ignorant rubes

I don't have a problem with Buck and Aikman, I like em (more so Buck than Aikman). They aren't the best though. Romo and Nantz are #1 and Collinsworth and Al Michaels 2nd.

Kevin Harlan has never annoyed me.

Musberger used to point out girls in the stands.
It's a total joke Marv Albert is on the TNT A team over Harlan. Marv is losing it and Harlan is the best in the biz. "It's a 3 by Kyle Korver, wait no they're saying it's a dunk by LeBron James what a slam!"

Also...TNT needs to dump almost all of their color guys. Just clean house, Reggie and C Webb are annoying as ****.

Watch Buck doing a Packers game and you might feel a little different. AR is a great QB but the ball washing hyperbole is over the top. You would think there was never a QB who scrambled and throw on the run before. Steve Young, Roger Staubach and a lot of others could make all of those plays. I'm not bashing AR. Again he's an all time great but Buck again and again tells the audience he's the only one who has even done it. Watch some old Randall Cunningham or Michael Vick tape. They did it too. Just not as consistently which is why AR is better than those guys but they could do it as well. It's the same for Brady in the pocket. Manning, Montana and others could make all the throws Brady does just not as consistently under pressure in the biggest games (Manning) or for as long of a period of time (Montana).

AR = Steve Young IMO
Brady > Montana who was the GOAT

On a related note, I thought that Fox's intro piece on the NE/Indy "rivalry" was particularly inciteful. The Indy perspective on NE' s constant cheating and rule-breaking was electrifying.
It was extremely poor taste. Not unexpected from the Clots fans since they have nothing else but Fox is embarrassing themselves for even going there. Maybe they should have brought up suck for Luck, or measuring a ball during a game, or having non players clear snow in a game, or piping in extra noise in a stadium etc etc.

TMZ garbage.

It's a total joke Marv Albert is on the TNT A team over Harlan. Marv is losing it and Harlan is the best in the biz. "It's a 3 by Kyle Korver, wait no they're saying it's a dunk by LeBron James what a slam!"

Also...TNT needs to dump almost all of their color guys. Just clean house, Reggie and C Webb are annoying as ****.
Jesus "Edible Undies" Albert is horrible. That fake rug he has on his scalp has killed his brain cells.

I like Harlan. He's pretty accurate and doesn't get in the way of the game.

Don't get me going on hoop color guys but I agree with your assessment. I do like Van Gundy with the Xs and Os but even he can be over the top.

I don't know if there is a better commentary duo in the NFL than these two guys - what a refreshing change from the ******* Collinsworth that we have to listen to on sunday nights and almost so bad that muting the game is a better option

Buck and Aikman are fantastic commentators and don't overdue it on anything - Aikman is especially good

Its a pleasure to watch the Patriots win AND these two guys running the show on the mike :)
. They talk To much, theres never a moment when they're not.

Jesus "Edible Undies" Albert is horrible. That fake rug he has on his scalp has killed his brain cells.

I like Harlan. He's pretty accurate and doesn't get in the way of the game.

Don't get me going on hoop color guys but I agree with your assessment. I do like Van Gundy with the Xs and Os but even he can be over the top.
JVG is Constanza in the booth. I like when him and Mark Jackson start shooting the **** when games become uninteresting.

You guys wouldn't last a second with ESPN Brasil

On the last game alone I heard:
A recipe for cake
What the announcer eats when they go to the US
Stories of their childhood

Also, everyone is "One of the best in the NFL". That's the analysis of EVERY PLAYER.

Oh, Flower got a sack, "yeah, Flowers is one of the best in the NFL"

McCourty gets a tackle "One of the best safeties in the NFL"

Edelman grabs a 5 yard pass "That's why he is one of the best in the NFL"

geez

Last edited:
I actually like Buck. I prefer Collinsworth over Aikman. Romo is good when he shuts up now and then.

Erin Andrews sounded like she was on opioids last night. I'm not kidding.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back