PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J'Mar Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
++Pocket presence & feel. Love this part of his game. Really good at feeling oncoming pressure and reacting in a + manner.

Big time arm. Not huge but can easily work anywhere on the field. Can change up speeds. Has some accuracy issues but he has good arm talent. Decent touch.

Big time leader reminds me of Kincade from a few years ago. Undersized athletic leader who can do it all. Vocal, he'll let you know what's up, where to line up.

Big time awareness, poise, good arm talent & mobility. Leadership.

Vg at stick n shoot passes, predetermined stuff. Very confident and sure.

I was higher on him than most but what's new. I'm alone most of the time. Really pumped about this pick I like him a lot.

++Pocket presence & feel. Love this part of his game. Really good at feeling oncoming pressure and reacting in a + manner.

Big time arm. Not huge but can easily work anywhere on the field. Can change up speeds. Has some accuracy issues but he has good arm talent. Decent touch.

Big time leader reminds me of Kincade from a few years ago. Undersized athletic leader who can do it all. Vocal, he'll let you know what's up, where to line up.

Big time awareness, poise, good arm talent & mobility. Leadership.

Vg at stick n shoot passes, predetermined stuff. Very confident and sure.

I was higher on him than most but what's new. I'm alone most of the time. Really pumped about this pick I like him a lot.

What is it that pushed him into UDFA territory ?

probably being 6'1"

?

What is it that pushed him into UDFA territory ?
Inconsistency, size & never put it together.

I always have different grades than everyone anyway so I accept some outliers. Most likely I'm alone in having Smith that high. In fact id bet on it. Again that's ok. I just wanna be right the majority of the time, not every time.

I really like this guy though. Again he reminds me of Devante Kincade from years ago. Most likely a backup but very intriguing. Also I should say I value backups higher than most. I dont put a premium on positions but value bu QB. I have np taking one in the 3rd/4th. 2-4 games are huge in the NFL and could swing a season. That's what most bu face so maybe I'm alone there too but I'll gamble on a bu earlier than most.

Worst case is he is going to be a very valuable scout team QB. With more and more athletic QB’s he could be really helpful in that role. If he can also develop to eventually replace Hoyer as our backup QB it’s a home run for an UDFA

Practice squad.

I'm intrigued. You have to be exceptional to even get looked at in the NFL at 6' or under. Only 2 QBs have been drafted in the last decade at that height (Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson). Smith is shorter than Mayfield & Taylor. Throw in the fact he played at a small school & it's surprising he got signed as an UDFA.

• comp pct. improved each season
  • 1.4% INT ratio senior season
  • mobile
Now he may be QB3 on a team that gives UDFAs a chance more than anyone.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. You have to be exceptional to even get looked at in the NFL at 6' or under. Only 2 QBs have been drafted in the last decade at that height (Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson). Smith is shorter than Mayfield & Taylor. Throw in the fact he played at a small school & it's surprising he got signed as an UDFA.

• comp pct. improved each season
  • 1.4% TD/INT ratio senior season
  • mobile
Now he may be QB3 on a team that gives UDFAs a chance more than anyone.
Except he is 6'1"

Brady 2.0

I don’t know much about him but one quality I like is that his eyes seem to me to be always scanning the field despite being chased all over. Or maybe Russell Wilson 2.0?

Brady 2.0

How do you top drafting the GOAT QB at 199 ? By signing his eventual successor as UDFA. :D

But on a serious note I don't understand why 7 other teams are fighting to sign him when they could have just used one of the seventh round throwaways just to be safe.

If there is a QB and you are interested in him make him a high priority UDFA (i.e. 7th round pick). There is no bigger payoff.

This is "Danny Etling II" all over again.

You cannot make something out of nothing!

Patriots could have at least spent a 5th rounder on Fromm or Luton in the 6th.

Which is taller than 6' also taller than Drew Brees and R Wilson.

Worst case is he is going to be a very valuable scout team QB.

Exactly. That alone makes him valuable as runners have always been the weakness of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes