PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy White is Completely Unappreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

jv320i

On the Roster
Reaction score
Yup, I'm biased, cause Ive liked him from jump, but I've yet to see any love for this kid....and I'll take it a step further and say he's better than Lewis.

This kid can catch, run, block and he's earned Brady's/BB trust.

Jimmy White is our Kevin.

You are talking about James White, our 3rd down back, right? I had to wrack my brain to figure out who Jimmy was. He has been getting plenty of appreciation all around the forum. While he may not have a thread for himself, he contributions have been roundly praised here. He is vital to Patriots game planning and is very good executor of plays, be it carrying, catching or blocking. Dion Lewis has not been missed. I cant wait for Lewis to get back healthy. He was sensational before he went down. Good depth at this position is invaluable for the team.

This team NEEDS two receiving backs. It's an injury-prone position, and one the Patriots' offense really relies on. So it's terrific that White has become such a reliable contributor.

But unless Dion Lewis is a shadow of his former self, he's the clear #1.

James "Jimmy" White is way underrated here.

His running is still questionable but as a pass catcher he is one of the best RBs in the NFL.

This team NEEDS two receiving backs. It's an injury-prone position, and one the Patriots' offense really relies on.

Each time the Pats have actually won the Super Bowl, they got significant contributions during the game from J. R. Redmond, Kevin Faulk, and/or Shane Vereen.

Vereen is the only one who was or should have been remotely in the game MVP discussion, but Faulk or Redmond/Faulk were important in each of the other three.

I liked him last year, I like him this year too. His running can always use improvement but he's a very good, reliable receiver. His emergence was timely when Dion Lewis went down. White could serve as a perfectly good receiving back for the rest of the year. The return of Lewis is a fantastic luxury.

White's running has greatly improved this year. Last year he averaged 2.5 ypc and 410 yards receiving. Vereen in 2014 averaged 4.1 ypc and 447 yards receiving. White is on pace to having 4.3 ypc and 528 yards receiving. On the other hand Lewis was averaging 4.8 ypc and on pace to having 890 yards receiving before he was injured.

White is already a good receiver and pass blocker. He has been working on his run game and it's showing.
He looks like he could be better then Vereen and that's a good sign. With Bolden injured, it's going to be interesting to see if they use White or Foster to give Blount a breather.

Why Jimmy White is supposedly underappreciated...

3rd down backs in the BB era:

Faulk
Woodhead
Lewis (sorta kinda, in the sense of being a receiving back)
Vereen
White

He is not the blocker Faulk was and is certainly not the leader nor special team ace Faulk was.
Jimmy is looking VERY GOOD this season and those other things could come in time, as they did in Kevin's case, or he could go the JR redmond way and he could just get flat out cut for being a DB.

Better than Lewis???

White has really turned a corner. I will say, he started slow in his first few years, and I didn't have as much confidence in him in past years as I've come to have for him this year. His performance against the Browns was seriously impressive.

Of the series of backs we've had playing his role, I've previously felt White was a step back from what we had in Vereen. But, then again, Vereen took a couple of seasons to really thrive in the offense too; and now White is showing up in pretty impressive ways.

I totally agree with the premise of the thread. White has become sneaky special for us, and deserves to be recognized.

I think he's improved appreciably in his running and he's a good receiver in my pinion. It seems to me he used to go down at first contact, but not so much anymore. I like him.

I think he is a guy who has learned his job in this system and has been coached up as is usually the case for a lot of these guys..

I agree that you need two RB's who can catch the ball...

Is he BETTER than Lewis? Not if both are healthy, but that's the rub. I think JW will be/has been less injury prone. Comparing him to Faulk is a huge stretch at this point I realize, but no one knew what we had in Faulk in his third year. I'm just saying he has a lot of potential, and I was disappointed that Lewis got hurt last year but happy we had Jimmy to put in last year. I've liked the kid since we drafted him and its nice to see him get the recognition I think he deserves.

I'd like to see Foster developed at that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back