PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo: Did the Patriots dodge a bullet?

I’m just not the talent evaluator I thought I was…. Wynn, Jimmy, Sony : all players I defended on this board for years and they let me down. Maybe my dream of scouting for NE was never really meant to be. Sad face.
Sony didn't look that bad last night, the Rams even used him in passing formations. Good pick up for them.

Sorry for interrupting our discussion of events of the previous decade.

Maybe there's a few more people with some inner angst they haven't yet dealt with, shouldn't get in the way of that.

He passed the "Dreamy Chippendale Star of the Year" contest in Vegas though...so he's still on an upward career track JoM51...

Even this year people wanted to sign him.

I admit prior to the 21 season i was somewhat interested. And if we genuinely were, thank God the 9ers stupidly rejected a 2nd rounder or whatever it was.

I'm curious to see (assuming his foot surgery goes ok and he is eventually cleared to play) if the Raiders do better with Jimmy or if the fans will always be pissed that Josh got rid of Carr (the way Broncos fans were pissed he ran off Jay Cutler). If Jimmy doesn't work out (waiver or no), I have to think Josh gets fired and that's the last head coaching job he ever gets.

I'm curious to see (assuming his foot surgery goes ok and he is eventually cleared to play) if the Raiders do better with Jimmy or if the fans will always be pissed that Josh got rid of Carr (the way Broncos fans were pissed he ran off Jay Cutler). If Jimmy doesn't work out (waiver or no), I have to think Josh gets fired and that's the last head coaching job he ever gets.

Look at Chase Garbers and Aidan McConnell.

I was impressed with what I saw from Garbers last year and Aidan’s release has been compared to Brady’s by Josh Mcdaniels.

The answer to the OP is, yes. The Garrappolites here won't admit it but the Pats made the correct decision in not keeping him.
People actually thought the Pats should've kept him?

Josh at it again. If Jimmy doesn't play and gets released, it will be the beginning of the end for Josh....again.

I thought he learned from his mistakes in Denver, but it looks like it's repeating.

Josh at it again. If Jimmy doesn't play and gets released, it will be the beginning of the end for Josh....again.

I thought he learned from his mistakes in Denver, but it looks like it's repeating.

I concur with your take, but Josh knows that Carr isn't the guy to run his offense, and that Jimmy Fragile-oppolo,
if he can ever get healthy for 5 minutes, can. Josh needs someone who can execute his offense. There is a forthcoming minority owner..right now I think they're all one happy family out there.

This is interesting. So the Raiders can acquire any other QB if they so desired and cut Garoppolo for zero dead money.
New England Patriots Thank You GIF by Storyful

It is week 5 of the NFL season, once again there are health concerns regarding Jimmy G’s ability to play. Jimmy is currently in year 9 of his career, he has only started one full complete season without missing a game, that was 2019 and it was also the only time he played double digit games. His current team has already invested heavily in a rookie to replace him who may be getting his big moment to steal the job.

Not all of this is Jimmy’s fault. The majority of his time in NE he was back up to Brady when the legend famously got the second wind of his career. But he was granted a golden opportunity with the deflategate suspension and was set to lead the Pats in Brady’s place for the first quarter of the season. This was to be his big coming out party to make a case that he was the future the Patriots should invest in or get the interest of the rest of the league. He didn’t make it to the end of the first half of game 2.

After that he road the bench until a decision between him and Brady needed to be made. A lot of people in Pats nation lamented that we had given up our potential future in a shortsighted move to hold onto the present, a present that only had 2 more years anyways. It looked even worse when Jimmy finally started for the 49’ers and played very well, giving them a sharp turnaround to end an otherwise abysmal season. Then next year hope faded and Jimmy was quickly ruled out for the season. Yes he did play all of the next season in 2019 and led his team to a Super Bowl appearance displaying the talent many felt he had, but even then the defense was the show and tee’d Jimmy up for something he couldn’t close out in the decisive moments. The next season he came back in and out of the lineup only playing a scattered 6 games never getting over an aggravated injury.

The frustration of Jimmy’s injuries and lack of consistent and elevated play led for his team to explore elsewhere for their own future. Once again Jimmy is on the wrong side of an injury and it looks like the future is coming sooner than expected.

One has to think that had the Pats kept Jimmy in 2017 they may have one less SB win and now be in a purgatory of their own in a rebuild with a guy who may not have ever been the real answer for the future of the Pats QB role. It very likely could have been us in 2021 wondering if this guy pushing 30 was just a mirage that was only ever going to look good some of the time before an injury or bad play.
You are absolutely correct.

SF is probably fed up with him.
Jimmy glass has made more money not playing then actually being on the field..

How many contracts is he going to get? Good player.. better agent!

This is interesting. So the Raiders can acquire any other QB if they so desired and cut Garoppolo for zero dead money.
I'm sure this comes as a suprise to absolutely no one...

People actually thought the Pats should've kept him?

There were a couple at least yeah. I remember arguing with one and pointing out to him the 2018 title never would’ve happened with jg instead of brady.

Trade Mac to Las Vegas???

There were a couple at least yeah. I remember arguing with one and pointing out to him the 2018 title never would’ve happened with jg instead of brady.
That's shocking given how much heat Mac takes. Jimmy made a business decision against the Bills which pissed off players like Marty Bennett recently calling him out.
Trade Mac to Las Vegas???
Too late for that. We can't have the worst name for a QB (Bailey Zappe) be the starter for the 6 time Super Bowl Champion Patriots.
BB kept trying to bring Jimmy home.
Glad he didn't.

It is funny how some people who wanted the Pats to sign Garoppolo and trade away Mac used part of their reasoning because Mac is soft because of how he reacted to his ankle sprain. For Jimmy G, that might have been a career ending injury. Certainly would have landed him on IR.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back