PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets re-sign David Harris for 3 years, $21.5M

I would rather bet on a three legged horse to win the Kentucky Derby over Milliner to be healthy. I might even take the horse even if you shoot it in one of his good legs.

I think they have to replace most of the secondary, most of the LB corp, and most of the o-line. To say they don't have a lot of holes to fill, it is crazy. I don't even know if they have a consistent starting TE. And of course they need a starting QB.

I didn't say they don't have a lot of holes to fill. In fact, I explicitly said that they do have a lot of holes to fill... and more than enough cap space to do it.

I looked up Richardson's contract - he's under contract this year and next. UFA in 2017.

Only if they don't pick up his fifth year option. Every first rounder's contract has a fifth year option.

He won't be a UFA in 2017 for the same reason that Solder isn't an UFA right now and Jones and Hightower won't be UFAs after this season.

I didn't say they don't have a lot of holes to fill. In fact, I explicitly said that they do have a lot of holes to fill... and more than enough cap space to do it.

That cap space can disappear pretty quickly especially if Woody Johnson insists on going after shiny objects to counter the cheap offseason last year.

That cap space can disappear pretty quickly especially if Woody Johnson insists on going after shiny objects to counter the cheap offseason last year.

If he keeps making choices like signing Harris for 3/21 then I agree, but that's an entirely separate issue. The Jets absolutely have enough money to fill all of their major holes, but if they spend their money stupidly then obviously they won't.

If he keeps making choices like signing Harris for 3/21, then I agree. Marshall, not so much.

If he ends up signing Revis, it could be at $18 million a year. He is going to have to seriously overpay him to pry him away from the Pats.

If he ends up signing Revis, it could be at $18 million a year. He is going to have to seriously overpay him to pry him away from the Pats.

Agreed. But if he's decided to make that play, then Harris and Marshall's contracts aren't going to stop him. Even if he signs Revis for $18M AAV, he could easily still have ~$20M in cap space left over.

Agreed. But if he's determined that he's going to do that, then Harris and Marshall's contracts aren't going to stop him.

I never argued that. But it would confirm what I did say that it is a new regime, but the same ole Jets. Stupid short sighted moves because the owner reads the back pages of the tabloids too much.

I never argued that. But it would confirm what I did say that it is a new regime, but the same ole Jets. Stupid short sighted moves because the owner reads the back pages of the tabloids too much.

The Harris contract has SOJ written all over it, I agree on that. Marshall at $0 guaranteed and a theoretical $17-18M AAV contract for Revis, not so much.

Last edited:
The Harris contract has SOJ written all over it. Marshall at $0 guaranteed and a theoretical $17-18M AAV contract for Revis, not so much.

If they pay $18 million a year when his value is probably at $15-16 million at most, it is SOJ. It is Woody Johnson listening to the media calling him an idiot for not even being willing to negotiate with Revis and letting him go win a Super Bowl with the Pats and then going out and overpaying for him to show the media he isn't an idiot.

If they get Revis for anything more than $16 million a year, they are idiots (unless the guarantees are far lower than it would be with such a salary). At $16 million a year, he would be the highest paid CB by $2 million a year.

The Jets need far more than overpaying for what would be the highest paid defensive player at age 30 with a team rebuilding. Maybe if the they had a need for Suh and paid that much, then they would have an argument. But don't forget they are about to make Wilkerson the second highest paid d-lineman other than Suh either this year or next.

So glad the jets are in the afc east

If they pay $18 million a year when his value is probably at $15-16 million at most, it is SOJ. It is Woody Johnson listening to the media calling him an idiot for not even being willing to negotiate with Revis and letting him go win a Super Bowl with the Pats and then going out and overpaying for him to show the media he isn't an idiot.

The Jets need far more than overpaying for what would be the highest paid defensive player at age 30 with a team rebuilding. Maybe if the they had a need for Suh and paid that much, then they would have an argument. But don't forget they are about to make Wilkerson the second highest paid d-lineman other than Suh either this year or next.

I think there are a few more factors at play than that. If the cap keeps going up by $10M per year, then the market value for an elite corner could easily be $18M in a year or two. Plus when your team has sucked for an extended stretch, you have to overpay a bit for any premium talent that you want to attract. Same general principle behind the Bills overpaying for Mario Williams, and I don't think the Bills regret that deal.

There would definitely be some risk in offering Revis $18M per--there's always risk in paying anyone big money--but I think that's a reasonably justifiable way to spend when you have as much cap space as they do. That's not to say that they necessarily should, but I don't think it's crazy or anything.

So glad the jets are in the afc east

We can laugh at the jest but their team has improve. They have given us some tough games the last couple of tries. Its possible they can steal a game from us in the upcoming season.

If they get Revis for anything more than $16 million a year, they are idiots (unless the guarantees are far lower than it would be with such a salary). At $16 million a year, he would be the highest paid CB by $2 million a year.

That would be stupid of Woody Johnson to overpay Revis just to prove he isn't an idiot.

We can laugh at the jest but their team has improve. They have given us some tough games the last couple of tries. Its possible they can steal a game from us in the upcoming season.

The only thing I'm laughing at over harris is that he's not going to Buffalo. Did NOT want to see him there.

I think there are a few more factors at play than that. If the cap keeps going up by $10M per year, then the market value for an elite corner could easily be $18M in a year or two. Plus when your team has sucked for an extended stretch, you have to overpay a bit for any premium talent that you want to attract. Same general principle behind the Bills overpaying for Mario Williams, and I don't think the Bills regret that deal.

There would definitely be some risk in offering Revis $18M per--there's always risk in paying anyone big money--but I think that's a reasonably justifiable way to spend when you have as much cap space as they do.

Patrick Peterson is making $14 million a year and is the highest paid CB in the NFL. To pay Revis $4 million a year more than the top CB is stupid whether they can afford it or not. Maybe if they had the cash and they were Revis away from the Super Bowl like the Pats were last year, but not a bad team like the Jets.

Did Wilkerson get his big money yet? How are they carrying all these big contracts?

Did Wilkerson get his big money yet? How are they carrying all these big contracts?

Not yet. They would be smart before guys like Suh, Knighton, and Fairley get to free agency and get their money. Wilkerson's value goes up exponentially once Suh gets paid. He won't make as much as Suh, but he will still benefit from someone overpaying Suh.

The only thing I'm laughing at over harris is that he's not going to Buffalo. Did NOT want to see him there.

Rex wanted Harris to teach his defense in Buffalo.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back