PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets hire.... Charley Casserly

He was not HIRED as the GM, he's just a consultant. All this shows us , is that Woody wants to make changes, and he wants to surround himself with experienced, football guys. That alone is a good sign to me.
Reread my post. I said I would be pickled tink if he ends up getting hired as GM. Woody "the phallus" Johnson is a turd and so is Charlie Casserly.

Idzik is a cap guy
So is Casserly. He wears a toupee.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=640278

"Charlie Casserly's hair is bothering me. Anyone that is going to lie about his hair color like that can't be trusted for his scouting/player/draft insight. He reminds me of the old guys on TV talking about POST-T-VAC the Penis PUMP commercials with their old skin and fake hair. Then he'll praise a player I like and I find myself getting alarmed because of his hair and I think he's asking me to take some candy and look at his puppy back in his van."

I'm sure in 2 years you will be saying a lot of people thought Casserly was a bad hire.
Why aren't you discussing the Jets with Jets fans on those boards rather than coming here?
I do, and this is a Jets related thread, so I decided to respond. I like to discuss fotball, with fans, who have different perspectives. I'll most likely stay away from Patriot related threads, from here on out.

I do, and this is a Jets related thread, so I decided to respond. I like to discuss fotball, with fans, who have different perspectives. I'll most likely stay away from Patriot related threads, from here on out.
We do welcome fans of other teams as long as they don't troll.
So, feel free to discuss any subject on the boards.

I can't believe I was just nice to a Jets fan.:D

Whenever they have Charlie Casserly talking football on TV, something always irks me about him.

I have no problem with Casserly. Based on TV, he seems to have decent football acumen. I don't know about his way of running a team, but I think he'd be a good consultant to advise on picking someone who can judge talent. Not sure why he's getting bashed so much - there are much bigger idiots out there as far as I can tell.

I'm sure in 2 years you will be saying a lot of people thought Casserly was a bad hire.
Why aren't you discussing the Jets with Jets fans on those boards rather than coming here?

Put him on ignore if you don't want to read his input. I enjoy the perspective from the other side.

I imagine the Casserly hire is some kind of insurance to prevent the GM from making dumb mistakes. When GM's jobs are on the line they often will go for it in the short term at the detriment of the long term succcess of the franchise.

think he'd be a good consultant to advise on picking someone who can judge talent. Not sure why he's getting bashed so much - there are much bigger idiots out there as far as I can tell

Most people remember Belichick saying 'no one is more wrong than him' and he does seem like kind of a weasel but I believe Casserly was right. He was saying Brady was playing with cracked ribs which several other media outlets reported later on. IIRC

Casserly is a football guy, this is a good start. The Jets could hire Harbaugh (he isn't coming here, I know), and you guys would still call it a bad move.
Actually, your post gave me pause about that (Harbaugh). If he was given equal institutional control with a new GM he was familiar with, I could see it. I think if Trent Baalke (SF's GM) is going to dismiss Harbaugh he's a fool. He's been there 10 years and his other hires (Mike Nolan and Singeltary) produced 1 .500 season in 6 years. Besides this years debacle he's been one of the best including COTY in 2011.

Since Woody is (presumably) cleaning house, I think any coaching candidate would salivate at that kind of instutional power. I think Woody could certainly outbid anyone else for his services.

Actually, your post gave me pause about that (Harbaugh). If he was given equal institutional control with a new GM he was familiar with, I could see it. I think if Trent Baalke (SF's GM) is going to dismiss Harbaugh he's a fool. He's been there 10 years and his other hires (Mike Nolan and Singeltary) produced 1 .500 season in 6 years. Besides this years debacle he's been one of the best including COTY in 2011.

Since Woody is (presumably) cleaning house, I think any coaching candidate would salivate at that kind of instutional power. I think Woody could certainly outbid anyone else for his services.
Harbaugh wouldn't come to this train wreck. He's an egotistical maniac, but he's a very smart man and if the ATLANTA job opens up, I think he'll run there. If I had to take a guess, I think Harbaugh and his camp will use the Jets as leverage, to get Michigan and Oakland to pay him more. But if there's any coach, who could turn aroind the Jets, it's Harbaugh.

Texans under Charley Casserly

2002: 4-12
2003: 5-11
2004: 7-9
2005: 2-14

I fully support this move.

I'm sure he'll be great in helping them find a quarterback as well. His first pick with the team, David Carr, ended up having quite the career.

Casserly is a football guy, this is a good start. The Jets could hire Harbaugh (he isn't coming here, I know), and you guys would still call it a bad move.
au contraire, if anything it seems like a step backwards. I wouldn't have thought it possible with the present state of things. But there you have it.

Perhaps they should bring Mangini back too or perhaps find some coaching relic who hasn't been on the field in 5-10 years.

Casserly is a football guy, this is a good start.

What exactly is the standard for "a football guy" to you? Someone who has once been employed by an NFL team, regardless of their success?

Harbaugh wouldn't come to this train wreck. He's an egotistical maniac, but he's a very smart man and if the ATLANTA job opens up, I think he'll run there. If I had to take a guess, I think Harbaugh and his camp will use the Jets as leverage, to get Michigan and Oakland to pay him more. But if there's any coach, who could turn aroind the Jets, it's Harbaugh.
That's why I mentioned the institutional control. His ego. Old friend Dmitroff is entrenched as the Falcons GM and I don't think they have any history. Oaklnad you still have to deal with Davis' kid. I don't see it. In NY though he'd have free reign and a long leash and stepping in on the same footing as a new GM/Football Operations guy. It wouldn't surprise me.

What exactly is the standard for "a football guy" to you? Someone who has once been employed by an NFL team, regardless of their success?
One, who has been involved in personell decisions with organizations in the past(Idzik was a cap guy with Seattle, and his drafts prove that). And by the way, Casserly isn't going to be a GM, he's not going to have the final say on draft picks and free agent signings. It doesn't hurt to have a guy like him around. If we hired him to be the GM, I'd be upset with the hire, but this isn't the case.

Just imagine a potential GM coming in having to take advice from Casserly. That will thin an already anemic pool of candidates willing to take the job.

au contraire, if anything it seems like a step backwards. I wouldn't have thought it possible with the present state of things. But there you have it.

Perhaps they should bring Mangini back too or perhaps find some coaching relic who hasn't been on the field in 5-10 years.
Herm Edwards.

I think Harbaugh and his camp will use the Jets as leverage, to get Michigan and Oakland to pay him more.
That would backfire and blow up in his face. Neither Michigan nor Oakland would want someone they actually believed might be stupid enough to seriously consider the Jets job.

Just imagine a potential GM coming in having to take advice from Casserly. That will thin an already anemic pool of candidates willing to take the job.
Woody Johnson will be the one taking advice from Casserly, not the new GM.

That would backfire and blow up in his face. Neither Michigan nor Oakland would want someone they actually believed might be stupid enough to seriously consider the Jets job.
Good, that means we'd have a shot at him.

Good, that means we'd have a shot at him.
No, it means Harbaugh will come nowhere near the green sewage treatment plant.

Woody Johnson will be the one taking advice from Casserly, not the new GM.
Has Idzik been fired? Or are you assuming he will be with Casserly tutoring dopey Woody?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back