PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice now says he did not use stickum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montana and Rice are being so petty right now. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if my boyhood idol kept dissing me openly in the media. They feel so threatened. They have been the gold standard, more so than the Steelers and Cowboys. Now, Brady has a chance for 5 and they're sour about it. They're in full discredit mode, figuring their historical significance to the game will lend credence to their claims that NE cheat. And who knows, maybe it will to some. But those who are really looking at things for what they are know that it's just great coaches and players doing what they have to when it matters most. BB named something like 21 or 22 players when talking about guys who made plays when they needed to be made. That's how you win. It isn't PSI in a ball or taping signals at a time when teams were allowed to do so, albeit from an illegal part of the field. GTFOH, Montana and Rice!:mad:

From reading this article one can see the impetus and timeline for Rice's remark.

Jerry Rice backpedals with the best of them: 'Never used stickum'

Rice made the seemingly innocuous remark on twitter that "mistakes are killing the Falcons!" Atlanta fans responded with comments such as "probably should use stickum - that would change the game", "they need huh hahah" and "you used stick em cheater" (which was probably one of the tweets that pushed Rice over the edge and into the black hole of poor decision-making.

Apparently Rice got a bit overly defensive to those comments, and then made his ill-advised response that he 'never used Stickum'. Regardless, the cat is out of the bag and there is no undoing this self-induced situation for Rice.

I think Rice is the GOAT at WR. His twitter idiocy and stickum use won't change that for me. But I'll enjoy watching anyone get tarnished at this stage - particularly people who deserve it for being massive ****ing douchebag hypocrites.

This cheating **** is probably going to ruin this sport for me. Not the 'cheating' itself; the incessant cheating talk and childish finger pointing. Most of this cheating stuff that has been talked about as being such a big deal is actually less cheat-y to me than intentionally holding someone and hoping to get away with it or fighting for the ball under the pile even though the other guy clearly has it.

But people are extremely ****ing arbitrary when they label one thing cheating and another thing 'gamesmanship' or 'part of the game'.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said, but the only difference for me is that I do hold it against ex-players and coaches who chime in like Rice did. I feel the same way about Montana and Shula, though I never cared for his whiny attitude anyway. I used to respect those 49er teams. Not so much anymore.

Montana and Rice are being so petty right now. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if my boyhood idol kept dissing me openly in the media. They feel so threatened. They have been the gold standard, more so than the Steelers and Cowboys. Now, Brady has a chance for 5 and they're sour about it. They're in full discredit mode, figuring their historical significance to the game will lend credence to their claims that NE cheat. And who knows, maybe it will to some. But those who are really looking at things for what they are know that it's just great coaches and players doing what they have to when it matters most. BB named something like 21 or 22 players when talking about guys who made plays when they needed to be made. That's how you win. It isn't PSI in a ball or taping signals at a time when teams were allowed to do so, albeit from an illegal part of the field. GTFOH, Montana and Rice!:mad:

I get the feeling that if things were reversed, and Brady and Belichick were the standard and Montana and Rice were the ones making a claim as the best, then B&B would be giving nothing but respect to them for their achievements. You can tell that B&B share the same respect for other players and accomplishments, and also respect the history of the game. They have that in common along with the big football brains.

So in addition to being a cheater, he's also a liar. No surprises there.

That Joe Montana is feeling that his legacy is in jeopardy from Tom Brady is the greatest compliment that could come Brady's way. Imagine worshipping an athlete as the greatest ever only to watch them come undone as you are actually the one to pass them by and become the GOAT. It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
People think they can photoshop things out of the past...just like this:

joseph stalin with nikolai yezhov photoshopped out_edited-1.jpg

People think they can photoshop things out of the past...just like this:

Considering the doctoring of that photo happened many decades before the Adobe corporation existed, it's not "Photoshopping."

Considering the doctoring of that photo happened many decades before the Adobe corporation existed, it's not "Photoshopping."

Colloquiallisms.

People think they can PhotoShop things out of the past...just like this:

Considering the doctoring of that photo happened many decades before the Adobe corporation existed, it's not "PhotoShopping."

Wrong.

All Languages are in a constant State of Evolution ~ none more so than our own ~ and regardless of whether or not Webster's has actually caught up to the expansion of "PhotoShop" being employed as a Verb, its rather beautifully executed implementation by Brother CowBoy, there, was perfect. And correct.

*For Those Scoring At Home: The Vermin pictured prominently in the Photos are of course Joseph Stalin, one of the greatest Mass Murderers of all Time, and his Right Arm ~ until his own Arrest, Murder, and PhotoShopped removal ~ Nikolai Yezhov...one of the greatest Mass Murderers of all Time.

As one of the first Leaders of what would become the infamous KGB, he orchestrated the Imprisonment, Torture, and Murder of hundreds of thousands of Russians who were probably innocent of anything...except of course for being DumbAss Communists!! Being as they are perhaps the two most notorious Russian Communists of History, a group that counted among its early victims the Russian Royal Family, one can perhaps excuse a bit of persnickety behavior of Brother Romanoff. :eek:

Last edited:
I think Rice is the GOAT at WR. His twitter idiocy and stickum use won't change that for me. But I'll enjoy watching anyone get tarnished at this stage - particularly people who deserve it for being massive ****ing douchebag hypocrites.

This cheating **** is probably going to ruin this sport for me. Not the 'cheating' itself; the incessant cheating talk and childish finger pointing. Most of this cheating stuff that has been talked about as being such a big deal is actually less cheat-y to me than intentionally holding someone and hoping to get away with it or fighting for the ball under the pile even though the other guy clearly has it.

But people are extremely ****ing arbitrary when they label one thing cheating and another thing 'gamesmanship' or 'part of the game'.

It's simple, it's gamesmanship when I do it and cheating when you do it.

*For Those Scoring At Home: The Vermin pictured prominently in the Photos are of course Joseph Stalin, one of the greatest Mass Murderers of all Time, and his Right Arm ~ until his own Arrest, Murder, and PhotoShopped removal ~ Nikolai Yezhov...one of the greatest Mass Murderers of all Time.

You might say that Yehov was not only PhotoShopped Out but also Robespierred. :p

Technically Rice wasn't using stickum, it was actually MIGHTY GRIP Spray On.

While my picture from Soviets taking out a disgraced person is well known, this practice actually goes back to the Romans: damnatio memoriae....occasionally if a Ceasar was bad enough they would destroy all images of him

You might say that Yezhov was not only PhotoShopped Out but also Robespierred. :p

One of his pictures was thought to be photoshopped in the modern sense - he had a striking resemblance to a contemporary leader...for reasons unknown, this picture was the in Wikipedia for MONTHS before it was changed.

nikolai-yezhov.jpg

One of his pictures was thought to be photoshopped in the modern sense - he had a striking resemblance to a contemporary leader...for reasons unknown, this picture was the in Wikipedia for MONTHS before it was changed.

nikolai-yezhov.jpg

Now, who would've thought that Yezhov was Kenyan?? I keed, I keed!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents