PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo to interview for Eagles head Coach position

Staley doesn't count since he already works for the Eagles. The two Rooney Rule interviews have to both be with candidates from outside the organization.
I think Staley would be the frontrunner now.....

He may very well be head coaching material but a few years away. This is probably a practice run, so that when he's ready for the job, he's ready for the interview process. Smart move.

My daughter just got an invite from a headhunter to apply to a job that she thinks she's underqualified for. So she hesitated. Advice from her Dad: just do it for the experience! Plus, you might be wrong; let them find out who you are and what you can do, and if they want to take you on and help you develop the skills and knowledge you don't have yet, great! Just be abundantly transparent about all that.
There is a school of thought that if you can coach you can coach and age or experience is overrated. My instinct is that there are some people that applies to and most need experience.

I'll never forget the press conference where he talked about two players that hadn't been with the team for two years. That was a serious indictment on him as a head coach...absolutely awful.

Where's that challenge flag?

giphy.gif

never... im actually surprised we havent heard Jeff Fishers name this time round...

I'll never forget the press conference where he talked about two players that hadn't been with the team for two years. That was a serious indictment on him as a head coach...absolutely awful.
Or the Hard Knocks series that year with the Rams, their first season back in LA, and Fisher's last season as a HC in the NFL...Dude was yapping about not settling for 8-8 again...Well he sure didn't have to worry about that one...

Sadly, Jerod has never experienced “fun” in New England so this would be a tremendous opportunity to expand his social experience. Hopefully Lane “the dog” Johnson I can host him on his visit.

Not a great situation to be walking into. Cap hell, a QB controversy, management problems
Lets examine Mayo's current situation:

BB consumes the salaries of GM, HC, and DC
BB runs the D
BB's oldest is likely laying in wait as the heir apparent for DC at a minimum

Then there's McDaniels who has a coordinator title, earns premium bucks and could also be the Pats HC laying in wait

Depending on Mayo's ambition, career advancement may only be found outside this organization.
-------------------------
Speaking of laying in wait.......
I wonder when Jonathon slides into the big booster seat and assumes control.
One would think Jonathon will have a major say in any successor decision given it will be his organization to manage eventually.
Wonder what his thoughts are regarding the swarm of Belichicks amassing on the lower floors at Gillette?

Lets examine Mayo's current situation:

BB consumes the salaries of GM, HC, and DC
BB runs the D
BB's oldest is likely laying in wait as the heir apparent for DC at a minimum

Then there's McDaniels who has a coordinator title, earns premium bucks and could also be the Pats HC laying in wait

Depending on Mayo's ambition, career advancement may only be found outside this organization.
-------------------------
Speaking of laying in wait.......
I wonder when Jonathon slides into the big booster seat and assumes control.
One would think Jonathon will have a major say in any successor decision given it will be his organization to manage eventually.
Wonder what his thoughts are regarding the swarm of Belichicks amassing on the lower floors at Gillette?
This Is very true.
Wow
This hurts because I think Mayo is a very good coach.
A good pairing for Philly would be Kellen Moore as HC and Mayo as DC with Mike Kafka as OC

If philly’s management had half a brain they would hire Mayo immediately and surround him with a really good former head coach/oc and let mayo lead the team.

Mayo is super bright, an excellent defensive mind, loved by players and really good at motivating and bringing together a team.

But this is Philly and they love to do the wrong thing over and over.

If philly’s management had half a brain they would hire Mayo immediately and surround him with a really good former head coach/oc and let mayo lead the team.

Mayo is super bright, an excellent defensive mind, loved by players and really good at motivating and bringing together a team.

But this is Philly and they love to do the wrong thing over and over.
Zero chance they hire Mayo over Deuce...Zero.

If I recall correctly, Mayo was in no hurry to get into coaching -- he seemed to be enjoying his family and being an occasional media commentator, and he can't have been short of money. It seemed that it was the lure of the Patriots and Belichick that brought him in.

Of course, once you've set off along the road, it's natural for such a competitive man to be ambitious. But I'd be surprised if he had itchy feet by now.

If he did go, it would be a big loss, and I could understand how the Eagles might see him as a blend of Vrabel and Flores, even though much less experienced. Now that the captain has said that there is "zero chance" I'm starting to get worried ... :evil:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back