PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JC Jackson: To pay or not to pay, that is the question

To be clear, I'm not advocating a Gilmore trade. My point is simply that just looking at the cap number and drawing conclusions is unhelpful.
Okay. FtR, I don't do that, which is why I think Jimmy G and San Fran might part ways this offseason.

Okay. FtR, I don't do that, which is why I think Jimmy G and San Fran might part ways this offseason.
Despite health issues, I’d love for NE to acquire Jimmy, while still looking for other long range QB options. I am not sure SF has a better option, unless Shanahan loves Matt Ryan...
(which isn’t a huge stretch)

The 1st round tender for him according to Over the Cap is $5,000,000. That is what I think that the Patriots should do this year.
My previous post said 8mil, so I wanted to correct that.

The 1st round tender for him according to Over the Cap is $5,000,000. That is what I think that the Patriots should do this year.
My previous post said 8mil, so I wanted to correct that.
Even better...

Logan Ryan has had a great year with the Giants and just landed a $10m per contract. Don't know what to make of that. He only got $5m over the Covid FA period, but typically one of the best CBs in the league should get more than $10m. This may be a sign of the suppressed FA market but you just don't know since Ryan was not in great demand (admittedly during a Covid suppressed FA market).

Would a team pay a first to sign Jackson to a 4 year $60M contract with a relatively low 2021 cap hit. I think so. And I suspect that the patriots would match.

Logan Ryan has had a great year with the Giants and just landed a $10m per contract. Don't know what to make of that. He only got $5m over the Covid FA period, but typically one of the best CBs in the league should get more than $10m. This may be a sign of the suppressed FA market but you just don't know since Ryan was not in great demand (admittedly during a Covid suppressed FA market).
He’s playing safety for them. That’s a big part of why he had such a rough free agency, he was asking to be paid among the best at a position he had barely played in the NFL.

Let him walk after next year, he's had a few games to prove himself as a #1 this year and he's pretty much failed to deliver every time. 100% been carried by Gilmore. Logan Ryan/Malcolm Butler-esque with better ballhawk skills

I really read that one wrong. Thought Gilmore was helped by the likes of Jackson and Jones being out there but it's clear it's Gilmore and Jones that make the secondary..

Last edited:
From Jeff Howe in The Athletic:

1. Stefon Diggs beat J.C. Jackson for three catches on five targets for 85 yards and two touchdowns. In two games this season, Josh Allen was 8 of 12 for 170 yards, two touchdowns and one interception when targeting the Diggs-Jackson matchup.

2. In four games as the Patriots’ No. 1 cornerback, Jackson has allowed 13 catches on 25 targets for 281 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions for a 92.3 passer rating. When Stephon Gilmore has been on the field this season, Jackson has allowed 18 catches on 37 targets for 253 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions for a 40.5 passer rating. Jackson might be the best No. 2 cornerback in the league. He has a long way to go to become a No. 1.

3. To put those numbers into further perspective, Gilmore has allowed four touchdowns over his last 37 games. And in 11 games this season, Gilmore allowed 16 catches on 32 targets for 220 yards, one touchdown and one interception for a 69.8 rating.

Ouch

I’d pay him but not elite money. He’s gotten beat way too often this season when being the #1 corner without Gilmore.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back