PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From one of Collins' former coaches and written back in may.

“When it comes to pass coverage, there’s no doubt in my mind he can match up with anyone,” said David Duggan, who worked as the linebackers coach and later became defensive coordinator at Southern Miss from 2008-11.

“I think that when he gets to the NFL, he’ll be able to match up with the tight ends and running backs out of the backfield. Heck, he spent a lot of time matched up on wide receivers when he was here at Southern Miss.”

“When you’re talking about Jamie, it’s important to remember the Patriots are getting a guy who has never played more than a single season at one position,” he added. “This is a kid with HUGE upside. He’s got great strength, he’s fast, he’s explosive and he’s long. He’s got great range and a really good football IQ. This guy is the whole package.”

lots of good stuff.

patriots - Cover me: Jamie Collins could play integral role on Patriots defense as rookie - WEEI | Christopher Price

Looks about right:

Bdy5BnECMAEfxrs.jpg:large

Absolutely. Collins' progress lets Hightower play his own game, and he does it well.

Hightower does look happy as a clam in Spikes' role, doesn't he? As for Collins, he's pretty much the dream player you'd design to cover tight ends: legit cover skills, outjumped every WR at the combine, and weighs in at a sturdy 6'3" 250. LBs look outstanding for next year.

Since everybody's rushing in to claim they've been Collins fans since birth :), I'll join the bandwagon by quoting myself from draft day...

I see this as an opportunity pick. A super-rare athlete with good size who is both an explosive pass rusher and a converted DB who's smooth in coverage? In the bottom half of round 2? Don't mind if I do.

Let's compare to the gold standard for outrageously athletic DE/OLBs from smaller schools:

DeMarcus Ware
6'4.0" 251 4.56/2.71/1.62 27 38.5 10'02" 4.07 6.85
Senior stats: 62 tackles, 6 sacks, 16 TFL, 5 FF

Jamie Collins
6'3.5" 250 4.59/2.61/1.58 19 41.4" 11'07" 4.32 7.10
Senior stats: 66 tackles, 10 sacks, 20 TFL, 4 FF, 5 PBU

No, I'm not saying Collins is "the next DeMarcus Ware." I'm just saying that athletes like that seldom make it out of the first round, especially if they can rush AND cover. The winless, dysfunctional Southern Miss Golden Eagles made it possible, and I'll take the gift.

Hightower does look happy as a clam in Spikes' role, doesn't he? As for Collins, he's pretty much the dream player you'd design to cover tight ends: legit cover skills, outjumped every WR at the combine, and weighs in at a sturdy 6'3" 250. LBs look outstanding for next year.

Since everybody's rushing in to claim they've been Collins fans since birth :), I'll join the bandwagon by quoting myself from draft day...

Five pressures on nine pass rushing attempts. Sounds like Demarcus Ware.

Wow, if you remove Collins name, and just look at those measurables, you would think we drafted some freak TE! 6'3 250 4.59 forty and 41" vertical. I'm definitely with others that said he should get some offensive reps in practice.

He certainly isn't Shawn Crable;). Glad his coming out party was a blockbuster. Speed of Ware with coverage glimpses of Wagner. So far so good.

He certainly isn't Shawn Crable;). Glad his coming out party was a blockbuster. Speed of Ware with coverage glimpses of Wagner. So far so good.

And yet another data point in the ongoing demonstration that measurables rule in evaluating OLB/DE prospects.

Btw those comparisons are staggering. Reminds me of this Chandler Jones article. All three were eerily similar coming out of college.

So you drafted Chandler Jones

Played Lights Out! came through BIG TIME. With Mayo next season they could form a Dynamic Duo.

Re: Some said Collins was the best ATHLETE in the draft

19-0 next year :singing:.

To be honest, if this team stayed healthy and players progressed, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. And this is coming from a guy who thinks many of our defenders are over-valued by this board.

Wilfork, Jones, Nink, and whoever (maybe a 1st round pick?) is a solid front 4
Mayo, a better Collins, and a better Hightower could potentially be an awesome LB group

Talib, a better Dennard, a better Ryan, Arrington, McCourty has potential to be an awesome secondary (a better Dennard and Ryan are key). We could use one more good safety -- maybe Adrian Wilson comes back or we use a 2nd round pick?

And I'm feeling good about our WR/RB group for next year as well.

Looks about right:

Bdy5BnECMAEfxrs.jpg:large

Beyond the physicals gifts, Collins seems to have very good technique. Highly lucky that comes from coaching and hard work this year.

Like Logan Ryan, he seems capable of covering tight without drawing a flag. And he knows when to turn for the ball; this pic is a great example.

On the other end technique wise, I remember seeing the video of his defense of that sideline pass to Chandler v the Bills; Collins didn't turn around for the ball but kept his eyes on Chandler, read him perfectly and got his hands up to poke the ball away. I'll have to find the Sounds of the Game video with that play on it.

Beyond the physicals gifts, Collins seems to have very good technique. Highly lucky that comes from coaching and hard work this year.

Like Logan Ryan, he seems capable of covering tight without drawing a flag. And he knows when to turn for the ball; this pic is a great example.

On the other end technique wise, I remember seeing the video of his defense of that sideline pass to Chandler v the Bills; Collins didn't turn around for the ball but kept his eyes on Chandler, read him perfectly and got his hands up to poke the ball away. I'll have to find the Sounds of the Game video with that play on it.

Is the play Fleener asked for a flag without being touched- oh wait, that was every play.

Btw off topic your Cameron Jordan crush was well merited.

Yeah, glad to see him turning into the player I thought he would be. OTOH, I had him rated ahead of JJ Watt in 2011, and that was just plain wrong.

I told a friend before the game that "this is a game where I expect some players will step up and make themselves household names in New England" and went on to name Collins

Good thing I didn't jinx him!

Next Sunday will have to be his big moment if he wants to be a champ this year. If only we had Jamie Collins for last time we took on Peyton in the AFCCG. Needs to have a big game vs Julius Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back